Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newest Ancient Addition

After many months of looking at this coin through my screen & waiting for another to surface on my main dealer sites, it never happened. So with some extra saving and negotiating to knock the price down to my comfort level, I finally acquired the #2 empress I have wanted since collecting, especially with this particular portrait style.

As the case it looks nicer in hand, the seller photo makes some of its flaws stand out more. Its a lovelier in-person.

Crispina (178 - 182 A.D.)
AR Denarius
Rome
CRISPINA-AVGVSTA Draped bust right, hair weaved in rows and tucked in round coil at back.
VE_NVS Venus standing facing, head left, apple in right hand, gathering up drapery on her left shoulder with left hand.
18mm, 2.97g
RIC III, 286a (Commodus) RSC 035

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, Crispina. Her coin portraits are quite attractive, I think. I had a sestertius for her in my old collection.

Interesting metal flow on that piece. I like the obverse quite a bit. It is well centered and appears to be reasonably well struck.

I might attempt to do the "ladies" again later. They were fun. But some of them are oh so TOUGH, y'know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of her portrait styles are kinda weird but this particular one is the one I have wanted for some time. I bit the bullet & paid a little more then I normally do with ancients but sometimes its worth it.

The next empress I can afford will be a Sabina.

My dream empresses I would like is Orbiana & Aquilia Severa.

I still need Helena, Faustina, Salonina & a few others but they are cheap.

• Options

<< <i>I still need Helena, Faustina, Salonina & a few others but they are cheap. >>

Cheap, but often crude. I held out for pieces with nice desert patina on some of those.

David Connors on VCoins is a good source of inexpensive late Roman bronze, as you probably know. Was kind of slow to ship my last order, though, if I remember correctly. He had a sale on recently (might still be going, for all I know), so I bought some coins. Only one cheap Roman, though. Most of what I bought was early-dated 1500s material (largely Hungarian denars). We'll see how long this order takes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Oh dude, have you even been to Vcoins today? They changed it over and everything is all screwed up from searching, photos displaying and so on. Dealers are in a panic/pissed and buyers are annoyed/turning to other avenues.

Just read this for yourself. Vcoins Issues

As for the late romans, I agree that alot of those ladies are crude & I too love sandy patina, thats one thing I dont have too many examples of :/

I am a big fan of circulated cameos and for "errors"...clashed dies.
  • Options
    I haven't been to VCoins since about three days ago, but I saw the email announcing the "improvements".

Eh, give 'em some time to work out the bugs. I'm happy they're growing, if indeed that is what this is all about. Hopefully they won't get to be like eBay, and go constantly monkeying around with the format.

• Options
    Oh the whole format is different, you should check it out just to see.

They are also raising the monthly prices for sellers and now have bronze/silver/gold. Its crazy. Probably make the coins go up more too image

Thats why I am trying to acquire some pieces before the eventual rise in prices.
  • Options
    Oh, please, Numismatic gods, do not let VCoins go the way of the dinosaur. That would suck bigtime.

• Options
    Hopefully if it gets too bad some may band together & create a new "mall".

I dont buy from Vcoins alot and use it mainly for reference but on occasion I like having it as a option.
  • Options
    Oh, I've done the majority of my ancient coin buying on VCoins.

• Options
    I use Vcoins as a last resort, I.E. this Crispina. No regrets though!