Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

AL MVP

Who is it going to be?

Comments

• Options
    Of course I'm an Adrian Gonzalez fan... But Cano has been incredible.

Edit: Granderson, Bautista, Verlander.

I think it's all going to depend who shines over the next 2 to 3 weeks...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Granderson is having a better year than Cano and I think will win the MVP.
  • Options
    1) grandy
    2) verlander
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Do you think we will ever see another pitcher get the MVP award? It seems some voters won't even consider pitchers for the MVP since they have the Cy Young award.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    I have to give the Yankees credit. 3 home runs last night back to back. Amazing feats they keep doing, and Jeter just passed Mantle for games played.

I would love to see another pitcher get the MVP, but Granderson, Adrian, they are talking about Ellsbury and some others. Just googled AL MVP, and this was posted half an hour ago.

AL MVP
    1. Curtis Granderson, Yankees CF. He has been a run-generating machine, whether he's batting second or third in the star-studded Yankees lineup. He leads the majors in runs by a wide margin (he has scored 26 more times than Jacoby Ellsbury, who's second), and also leads the majors in home runs and RBIs, and the speedster's slugging percentage is higher than anyone but Bautista. He also has turned himself into a major threat against lefthanders. Easily the best performer in arguably baseball's best lineup. Also, while he's not Austin Jackson as a defender, he's not as lost as a couple Detroit people thought he was when he played for the Tigers.

2. Adrian Gonzalez, Red Sox 1B. He came to Boston with great expectations and he didn't let it bother him a bit, fulfilling every crazy hope. The .345 batting average, the best in baseball, is a bonus, too. Gonzalez also leads the majors in hits and total bases and has driven in 103 runs for the first-place Red Sox.

3. Jacoby Ellsbury, Red Sox CF. He's made everyone forget his injury-plagued 2010 season and turned himself into a power threat and superstar, batting .312 with 23 home runs to go with 36 stolen bases.

4. Justin Verlander, Tigers SP. He's close to winning the pitching Triple Crown, leading the league in wins (20) and strikeouts (218) and ranking second in ERA (2.38). He is also the major league leader in WHIP, hits per nine, starts and innings pitched and is always a threat to throw a no-hitter, something he did back in May.

5. Jose Bautista, Blue Jays OF-INF. No question he's been the best player in the league. His 1.092 OPS is way ahead of the rest. Good at everything on a baseball field.

6. Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox 2B. As recently as a couple weeks ago, Boston people would have said he's their MVP. Embodies a pure ballplayer and is hitting .308 with 17 home runs and 24 steals.

7. Michael Young, Rangers 3B. Best trade that wasn't made was Texas backing away from a deal with the Rockies where they would have gotten Eric Young and one other for the Rangers' perennial leader. Michael Young is batting .336, second in the AL, and has 87 RBIs for the first-place Rangers.

8. Al Avila, Tigers C. He's better defensively than Tigers teammate Victor Martinez and he has an OPS nearly 100 points higher.

9. Robinson Cano, Yankees 2B. The Home Run Derby winner is one of baseball's best all-around hitters, and while he hasn't been quite as consistent offensively or defensively as he was last year, he's still been darned good. He's batting .303 and has 23 home runs and 95 RBIs.

10. David Ortiz, Red Sox DH. His OPS is actually 18 points higher than Gonzalez's and his .311 average is his highest since 2007.

Others: Yankees SP CC Sabathia, Indians SS Asdrubal Cabrera, Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira, Tigers 1B Miguel Cabrera, Rays INF Ben Zobrist.

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Come it has to be Verlander, without him the Tigers are not in 1st place. 14-2 after a Tigers loss.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Come it has to be Verlander, without him the Tigers are not in 1st place. 14-2 after a Tigers loss. >>

I made this argument on my podcast last week. There are advanced metrics to back it up too. He has the 2nd best WAR in the AL behind Bautista (and it's close) and nobody else is close to the two of them. I don't use stats for every argument but he's the eyeball-test winner too. Detroit wouldn't be near the playoffs without him. I love Adrian Gonzalez but the Red Sox have 3 other guys who have had great seasons. Verlander is the choice.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Hypothetical question . . .

Next year, Albert Pujols plays the first 40 games then goes down with a season ending injury.

During that time, the Cards go 35-5, while Albert hits .600 with 25 HRs and 60 RBIs. The Cards go on to win their division.

Would he have a chance to win MVP? Would he receive a material number of MVP votes?
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Come it has to be Verlander, without him the Tigers are not in 1st place. 14-2 after a Tigers loss. >>

I made this argument on my podcast last week. There are advanced metrics to back it up too. He has the 2nd best WAR in the AL behind Bautista (and it's close) and nobody else is close to the two of them. I don't use stats for every argument but he's the eyeball-test winner too. Detroit wouldn't be near the playoffs without him. I love Adrian Gonzalez but the Red Sox have 3 other guys who have had great seasons. Verlander is the choice. >>

CY YOUNG AWARD
    You can count me as one of those who feel the MVP shouldn't go to someone who only plays every 4th game.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I made this argument on my podcast last week. There are advanced metrics to back it up too. He has the 2nd best WAR in the AL behind Bautista (and it's close) and nobody else is close to the two of them. I don't use stats for every argument but he's the eyeball-test winner too. Detroit wouldn't be near the playoffs without him. I love Adrian Gonzalez but the Red Sox have 3 other guys who have had great seasons. Verlander is the choice. >>

CY YOUNG AWARD
    You can count me as one of those who feel the MVP shouldn't go to someone who only plays every 4th game. >>

I don't get that - they can easily face more 900-1000 batters in a season...that has more of an effect than than your offensive player with 600 plate appearances. I understand if you want to also incorporate the offensive players defense in as well, but unless they are in a high-impact defensive position it would be hard to state their added defensive value could/would ALWAYS trump the affect of a pitcher effecting several hundred more at bats.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

CY YOUNG AWARD
    You can count me as one of those who feel the MVP shouldn't go to someone who only plays every 4th game. >>

I don't get that - they can easily face more 900-1000 batters in a season...that has more of an effect than than your offensive player with 600 plate appearances. I understand if you want to also incorporate the offensive players defense in as well, but unless they are in a high-impact defensive position it would be hard to state their added defensive value could/would ALWAYS trump the affect of a pitcher effecting several hundred more at bats. >>

I would say it should take a special year from a pitcher to win the award. For example, Gibson '68, Gooden '85, Carlton '72, Koufax '63, etc. Those type of years would without a doubt overcome the "every 5th day" argument. I think Verlander's current year looks like it is going to fall into that type of category if he keeps it up.

My biggest problem is relievers winning the Cy Young and even the MVP. Now that is a crock.
    Joel
  • Options
    I think Verlander wins the Cy Young and Gonzalez wins the MVP. I think a pitcher can only win the MVP if it's a historic season (e.g, 30 wins) or the position players are truly mediocre. I don't think either is the case this year.

Edited:

I just saw that Granderson only has a .276 batting average. Not even 300+? I don't think he deserves MVP for such a low average. Gonzo is much more well rounded.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't think anyone has been more valuable to their team than Verlander has to the Tigers, I don't think he should win the MVP. Give it to Granderson or somebody.

FWIW, I'm one of those who thought Detroit did the right thing by trading Granderson. He's putting up ridiculous numbers this year but I still think it was the right decision at the time.

Trivia: Curtis Granderson is leading the league in both HRs and triples this year. Who was the last player to accomplish that feat? I'll add that I don't know the answer image

Tabe
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Granderson or Verlander for me - it's hard to argue against either player. I give the nod to Verlander - without him, the Tigers aren't a playoff team. Without Granderson, the Yankees are still in. Likewise, the Red Sox are still in without AG.

The NL argument is a little murkier, at least to me. That may be wholly a result of my homerism. In my mind, Kemp is having a monster year, without which the Dodgers would clearly be a 4th-place team. Oh... wait...

Well, he's still having a monster year - whether it's enough to overcome other players that will actually be going to the playoffs remains to be seen. Same goes for Kershaw. He's hard to vote against at the moment - leads the NL in wins and strikeouts, and is 2nd in ERA.

• Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>Trivia: Curtis Granderson is leading the league in both HRs and triples this year. Who was the last player to accomplish that feat? I'll add that I don't know the answer image

Tabe >>

I know Jim Rice did it in his '78 season, but I don't know if someone else has done it since then.
    Joel
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    two things regarding Granderson and Verlander. Granderson has some work to do to become an average defensive CF. -0.2 DWAR, -5.9 UZR, -7.6 UZR/150. So as long as the Yanks continue to start their best defensive CF in LF, Granderson takes a hit. As for Verlander, Valverde is 39-39 in save opps with 13 of 13 in Verlander's starts. So if the 3 Boston candidates cancel out a portion of each others votes, so do Valverde and M.Cabrera (post AS break - .361/.436/ .563) with Verlander.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Gonzalez. Isn't he ahead of Granderson by like 50 points or more in batting average? Can't get past that stat.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Trivia: Curtis Granderson is leading the league in both HRs and triples this year. Who was the last player to accomplish that feat? I'll add that I don't know the answer image

Tabe >>

I know Jim Rice did it in his '78 season, but I don't know if someone else has done it since then. >>

I think that's the answer. I went back a good 20+ years and didn't come across anybody. Had no idea Rice had led the AL in triples. Go figure. Kinda like George Brett putting up big numbers in triples early in his career - ya just wouldn't think of it.

Tabe
  • Options
    Personally I think it's going to be either Jose Bautista or Justin Verlander. But not because either is more deserving than any of the forementioned Yankees or Red Sox. It's happened in the past ('88 NL MVP voting, '91 NL MVP voting, '96 AL MVP voting) where teammates took votes from each other. In '88 Kirk Gibson won with the Mets Strawberry and McReynolds finishing 2nd and 3rd. In '91 Terry Pendleton won with Bonds and Bonilla finishing 2nd and 3rd. And in '96 Juan Gonzalez won by 3 points with A-Roid finishing 2nd and Griffey finishing 4th.

I could see Pedroia or Adrian Gonzalez getting votes that otherwise would've gone to Ellsbury or vice versa...Just as I can see Cano getting votes that would've gone to Granderson.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Granderson for MVP he desirves it.

• Options
    Curtis Granderson will be MVP....... Curtis's batting average makes the AL MVP debatable.