Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

very annoyed

cause I missed this in on the bay. thought I was going to get it for about 280. and then someone else nipped and nipped and nipped at my bid seeking how much I put on.

always bothers me to lose to someone with that type of bid pattern, who doesn't know what they want for thier top bid and just seeks to seek someone else's value out.

bah. I guess there's always one around the corner. not for 280 tho.

Comments

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's neat, what's the history on it?

Just bid higher next time and they won't dare go over your max. image
  • That's why I use Auction Sniper. I just set my maximum bid to be made 3 seconds before the auction ends, and no one even knows that I'm going to bid until it's all over.

Just think what that person would have bid if your bid didn't show up until it was too late for him to bid again. Not only would you have likely won the auction, but you also would have gotten it for lower than your opponent's maximum, since he doesn't have the sense to post his maximum at the very start.

So what if Auction Sniper charges 1% if you win. You pay nothing else, and you end up saving much more than that in the long run. Also, if you don't win, you pay nothing.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bummer
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    I had this happen once on a really nice Louis XVIII 5 franc piece... the guy just kept chipping away. I think in these few cases one almost has to rely on a snipe of some type...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one word for you, Frank: esnipe.

Or esnipe.com, to be precise.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... and then someone else nipped and nipped and nipped at my bid seeking how much I put on.

always bothers me to lose to someone with that type of bid pattern, who doesn't know what they want for thier top bid and just seeks to seek someone else's value out. >>

I hate when that happens.

As others have said, that's why I put in my maximum in the last few seconds. It doesn't give anyone the chance to chip away at my bid. And there's not enough time for their emotions to get involved and make them bid higher than they had planned.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • And you don't know who is doing the chipping, could be the sellerimage
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I use esnipe too. Just fire in my max bid and forget about it. If I win I win if not... image
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    just joined Esnipe... BEWARE!