Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card show blues...

Went to a local show today(1 hr. away) that was advertised as having 40 tables. Well, the 40 tables is split between 4 dealers. 3 dealers have junk that is priced double what it should be and they make up 38 of the 40 tables. They are veterans and have had the same junk for 10+ yrs. The one new guy is following their lead... ex/ex + raw '67 P. Rose cards priced at $75. Shows seem to be like the housing market... just when you think it can't get any worse... it does.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only collect vintage so it may be different with modern cards but if it is not a major show there is no reason for me to go.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Leadoff,
    I feel your pain. I live in Seattle and have a question for you...What are card shows?image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these local shows anymore are probably more about buying than selling. Hard to believe they can make a profit selling that garbage at those inflated prices. I think they probably hope some little old lady walks in with her deceased husband's card collection, and they can try to con her into selling it for 1/10th of what it's really worth.
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    That is too funny, I went to the "show" here on Friday. It claimed to have 30 tables. Those tables were split between 6 dealers at least. I loaded up on some $0.50 packs, but nothing else was even worth it.

So I completely agree... it really does!

-Larry
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

In the NW (Seattle area) there hasn't been any significant shows in years. The local show you described is just plain sad. People have more important things to do these days like pay their mortgage and put food on the table so cards seem pretty insignificant. Something has to fuel more interest in the hobby or it will become an old man's club.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Zendude,
    What do you collect? I'm Mantle, Mays and Aaron.

"Old man's club". I hate agreeing with this statement; but I have to. It's kinda sad. My son and his friends' love and play all sports and know alot of the stats and won't touch cards. I've even been willing to give him Mantle's and such....No interest at all really.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I stick to vintage and collect mainly high grade HOFers (Aaron, Mays, Clemente, F. Robinson, Musial)
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have often thought about starting a "club" for us old men in my area. Just get together and trade and BS about cards. I dunno if people would be into that or not.
  • Options

<< <i>I have often thought about starting a "club" for us old men in my area. Just get together and trade and BS about cards. I dunno if people would be into that or not. >>

Id be up for that. I started a group online about 7 years ago. There are about 10 of us that share stories and pictures of our collections.
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • Options

<< <i>I have often thought about starting a "club" for us old men in my area. Just get together and trade and BS about cards. I dunno if people would be into that or not. >>

Sign me up Barry but at 30 I am not sure I want to be an old man yet.I am kind of still in denial.
  • Options

<< <i>

Sign me up Barry but at 30 I am not sure I want to be an old man yet.I am kind of still in denial. >>

You're not old YET...but boy you are closing in fast! Let me tell ya, as the old saying goes "Time flies by faster the older you get", holds very true.

Pit, are you in the Albany, NY area?

Mike, after I finish my exam, I'll have the time to think about it more...you and I should get together and try starting it up. I know if Fig tried to start it, it would appear to be self serving but he would certainly be an important part of it. It would be cool to convince him to do his case breaks at those meetings.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I only collect vintage too... mostly baseball. What made today even worse was I had one of those SEVERE urges to buy and I still didn't buy one card. Bummed...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sign me up Barry but at 30 I am not sure I want to be an old man yet.I am kind of still in denial. >>

You're not old YET...but boy you are closing in fast! Let me tell ya, as the old saying goes "Time flies by faster the older you get", holds very true.

Pit, are you in the Albany, NY area?

Mike, after I finish my exam, I'll have the time to think about it more...you and I should get together and try starting it up. I know if Fig tried to start it, it would appear to be self serving but he would certainly be an important part of it. It would be cool to convince him to do his case breaks at those meetings. >>

Tommy Demers used to be part of a local group.I am not sure if it stills exists though.I'm down.Let me knwo when you get some ideas together.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In the NW (Seattle area) there hasn't been any significant shows in years. The local show you described is just plain sad. People have more important things to do these days like pay their mortgage and put food on the table so cards seem pretty insignificant. Something has to fuel more interest in the hobby or it will become an old man's club. >>

I couldnt agree more, I got "Out" of the cards mainly for this reason-not that I cant afford it but because I truly believe the interest will be less and less down the road and I didnt want my money tied into something I dont believe will hold value. Its a different world now where computers and other fast paced things take up the time of our free time. I could be wrong but thats my 2 cents
  • Options
    I went to a local card show today....TOTAL waste of my time.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In the NW (Seattle area) there hasn't been any significant shows in years. The local show you described is just plain sad. People have more important things to do these days like pay their mortgage and put food on the table so cards seem pretty insignificant. Something has to fuel more interest in the hobby or it will become an old man's club. >>

I couldnt agree more, I got "Out" of the cards mainly for this reason-not that I cant afford it but because I truly believe the interest will be less and less down the road and I didnt want my money tied into something I dont believe will hold value. Its a different world now where computers and other fast paced things take up the time of our free time. I could be wrong but thats my 2 cents >>

I did the same thing Paul, outside of keeping what I consider the best cards, realized a healthy profit despite the gradual weakening market, and am very happy I made that decision.
  • Options
    card shows are anachronistic - past their time. only the real big shows are worth attending - and even those dont have the same flair and hoopla as they once had 20 years ago. the other use or value of a card shows in getting access to players for autographs.

with the internet, local shows lose 95% of its value - which is tied to bringing a variety of cards for sale into one setting. it forms community - something that we can now do through message boards like this. it's sad - i remember going to shows as a kid and being very excited. at the same time, the internet has provided a freer market - were no longer tied to the prices that a few dealers set, largely out of a whim, with no standardization whatsoever. some schmoe could come straight out of the street - say this card is "mint," and charge you an arm and a leg and you couldnt argue otherwise. now that we have a more established market with grades, non arbitrary price guides and simply more information - the middle aged, Hawaiian t-shirt wearing, goatee sporting dealer who stubbornly sets prices with no regard to publicly available auction and sale prices is a dinosaur.
  • Options
    I actually had a great day at my local show in Orland Park, Illinois, today. Sixty or so tables. Good, reasonable dealers and a nice crowd of customers. I sell vintage, had three tables, and am reasonably priced. I sold a lot of cards and bought a lot of cards. It was a lot of fun. I don't think card shows are dead. Card shows may be dead in certain regions but they're still strong in the Chicago area. I also regularly set up at shows in Milwaukee and those are just as good as the Chicago shows. If anybody wants to experience some good local shows, hit the Orland Park, Illinois, show on Saturday September 10, then head up to Milwaukee for the Gonzaga Hall show on Sunday September 11. These are two excellent shows with large inventories of vintage and modern cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    I'm just throwing it out there, and maybe I missed it, but why hasn't this board held a show??

Whether it was called a PSA show or not doesn't matter. I am surprised between everyone on this forum, the BST, even all the coin guys/gals. Why doesn't PSA or many of you put together a top notch show. Maybe it's not worth it, maybe to much work...

I never did shows other than when I was a kid, and the National this year. Has anyone attempted this? At least regional/state.

Again just wondering as I consider some of you the best of the best.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I bet if I went to one of the local shows around here the same dealers would have the majority of their over priced crap they did 10-15 years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>I actually had a great day at my local show in Orland Park, Illinois, today. Sixty or so tables. Good, reasonable dealers and a nice crowd of customers. I sell vintage, had three tables, and am reasonably priced. I sold a lot of cards and bought a lot of cards. It was a lot of fun. I don't think card shows are dead. Card shows may be dead in certain regions but they're still strong in the Chicago area. I also regularly set up at shows in Milwaukee and those are just as good as the Chicago shows. If anybody wants to experience some good local shows, hit the Orland Park, Illinois, show on Saturday September 10, then head up to Milwaukee for the Gonzaga Hall show on Sunday September 11. These are two excellent shows with large inventories of vintage and modern cards at reasonable prices. >>

I live right in between the two cities, and I have been meaning to check out one of the Milwaukee shows for quite a while now, and think I might just have to do that since you say it's worth attending. Too bad they decided to have a show on opening weekend of the NFL season though so I will most likely miss this one.
  • Options
    Just went to my first local card show in decades yesterday at Serb Hall in Milwaukee. It's just plain depressing compared to what it once was. Picked up a few things but don't feel the need to go back as it will most likely be the same dealers with the same cr*p.
  • Options
    Where is the card show in Orland Park?
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Where you at? Would be a great idea.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went to a local card show today....TOTAL waste of my time. >>

You told me that u were going to Gibralter.Them shows have sucxked for years.Same junk!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Yea, it was Gibraltar. I know it's the same stuff every month, but I was bored and looking for something to do. I went with my little piece of paper with 7 (or so) numbers written on it. I was hoping to find the last few cards I need to complete my 1975 mini set.

I need a few commons and a few stars. There almost no commons and only a few stars. I need a #300 Reggie and I saw one, but is was O/C and overpriced.

It was extremely quiet and barely any people in there at 11:30am. The sellers looked less than interested. But that could be the way they observed me as well. I blow right past every table that doesn't show me a hint of the things I'm looking for.

At least the girl in the booth taking the $2 admission fee was hot.
  • Options
    A lot of people hit the Gonzaga show between 9 and 11 a.m. then head out to watch football. During football season, the Gonzaga show dies shortly after noon. It's a great show though. There are always 60 or so tables, a live auction and sometimes an autograph guest. The Serb Hall show isn't so good but the promoter PJ is a nice guy and I can usually find something to buy. I sometimes set up there but it seems like all the shows lately are the same day as Orland, which is a much better show. The Orland Show is just off LaGrange Road at the Orland Park Civic Center. If you live within an hour or two of the Orland and/or Gonzaga shows, it is definitely worth the trip. I set up at a show most every weekend and blog about the shows at www.fatdaddyssports.com.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people hit the Gonzaga show between 9 and 11 a.m. then head out to watch football. During football season, the Gonzaga show dies shortly after noon. It's a great show though. There are always 60 or so tables, a live auction and sometimes an autograph guest. The Serb Hall show isn't so good but the promoter PJ is a nice guy and I can usually find something to buy. I sometimes set up there but it seems like all the shows lately are the same day as Orland, which is a much better show. The Orland Show is just off LaGrange Road at the Orland Park Civic Center. If you live within an hour or two of the Orland and/or Gonzaga shows, it is definitely worth the trip. I set up at a show most every weekend and blog about the shows at www.fatdaddyssports.com. >>

Is that the right URL?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    Fiveniner, Im in Albany, NY
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I miss living in NJ there were card shops and shows all around me. Between NY and Philly. I was in card heaven. Down here in Raleigh. There isn't so much. Once in a while they have a card show here. Its nothing to brag about.
  • Options
    I think I am local to fiveniner (at least we know the same local stores). I would get together with others if i was heavy into trading, but I'm really not. I'm just trying to complete sets I started as a kid.

I would gladly meet up at a local bar to sip some beers and watch college football on saturdays, though.

area code 586