Home Sports Talk
Options

justin verlander wins 20th game

lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭
verlander just won his 20th game tonight. how many games does anyone think he will end up. he has maybe six or seven starts left. can he win 25 games this year. when was the last pitcher to win 25 games in a season.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when Guidry went 25-3 (IIRC). He was unstoppable that year...like Verlander this year. Just owned whomever he faced
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welch won 27 games with the A's in 1990.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Welch won 27 games with the A's in 1990. >>

I remember that, nobody has really come close.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Steve Stone won 25 in 1980

The last person to come close was Randy Johnson in 02 with 24.

I also think one of the Braves pitchers won 24 also around that time or a tad earlier.

Smoltz maybe?

Good for you.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Bret Saberhagen had 23 in 1989. (Yes, I have to refer to Saberhagen into half my postings in the sport talk forum).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I say he gets 23 and easily wins the CY and finishes in the top 3 in MVP voting. Awesome season he's having.
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I would love to see him put up 25. Gooden had 24 is his miracle 1985 and Clemens followed with 24 in 86.
    Joel
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think one of the Braves pitchers won 24 also around that time or a tad earlier.

Smoltz maybe? >>

Smoltz went 24-8 in 1996.

Welch was 27-6 in 1990. I think Roger Clemens, with his 1.93 ERA and 21-6 record, was a better choice for the Cy Young that year than Welch.

Trivia: Who was the last guy to win exactly 26 games?

Tabe

p.s. FWIW, I think Verlander ends up with 24.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...Trivia: Who was the last guy to win exactly 26 games?

Tabe

p.s. FWIW, I think Verlander ends up with 24. >>

Juan Marichal, SF, 1968
    Brett
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Wins are the most overrated stat in the sport. They are a team effort and have no bearing on Cy or MVP voting. For his 20th, it was definitely a complete team effort because JV was off his game. Granted, the HP umpire had a pea size Kzone. I think JV wins it over Weaver for many reasons besides wins. Weaver simply cannot stay composed and lets his emotions take him over, while JV stays cool and doesn't let the game get away. That said, JV will go 24-6!!!! Yeah, I gave him a loss...
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wins are the most overrated stat in the sport. They are a team effort and have no bearing on Cy or MVP voting. >>

I think you meant to say "saves" here.

They might have meant something in 1973 when John Hiller was getting 38 of them but they lost all meaning right around the time Tony Larussa took over Oakland...

Tabe
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭

<< <i>Wins are the most overrated stat in the sport. They are a team effort and have no bearing on Cy or MVP voting. For his 20th, it was definitely a complete team effort because JV was off his game. Granted, the HP umpire had a pea size Kzone. I think JV wins it over Weaver for many reasons besides wins. Weaver simply cannot stay composed and lets his emotions take him over, while JV stays cool and doesn't let the game get away. That said, JV will go 24-6!!!! Yeah, I gave him a loss... >>

Wins are absolutely overrated, but the CY Young/MVP voters have only recently started to see this with Greinke and Felix.
    Joel
  • Options
    Verlander is incredible - esp this year.

The guy can flat out pitch...and pitch...and pitch. Piling up innings are not an issue for him. There are times when I think umps give him special calls, but i'll take it every time.

Just PLEASE...win the division.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He'll win 21.