Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Computor/Printer Help Please !!!

Evening,

Lets lay the groundwork here first so you all understand what your dealing with.......................I am the guy who puts the Black Electrical Tape over the Flashing light on the VCR cause I can't set the time.

So, now that we have the framework of what I know about computors, I have an HP which I have used for 6-7 years to do my E-Bay stuff with no problem, everytime I make a Sale, I print out the page to use for shipping purposes and call it good.

This morning, my Printer an HP Deskjet F4180 starts spazzing, it gets the download from the comp, I know this because it flashes on the Main button when it is getting info, then it starts printing. Today I get about 1 line every 30-45 seconds, getting slower by the moment, get 3 different pages done in about 10 minutes and that's it. Then later I go to print another page and now the data is no longer getting from the Comp. to the Printer, the data light on the Printer does not come on any more and nothing Prints.

Help Please!!!

Neil
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Old age wear and tear? Virus?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Neal

How about printing a "test page?"

Preliminary steps: Print a test page and determine whether the issue is in the hardware or the software

Follow these preliminary steps to determine whether the issue is in the hardware or the software, and then follow the links to troubleshoot the issue.

Step one: Print and time a test page

Follow these steps to print a test page:

Load plain paper in the tray.
    Press and hold the Cancel ( ) button, and then press the Start Copy Color ( ) button.

Release both buttons. The self-test page prints.

Measure the time (in seconds) it takes for the test page to print.
    If the test page prints in less than 60 seconds , this is normal print speed and you do not need to troubleshoot.
    If the test page prints in more than 60 seconds , go to the next step.

edit:
    Go to Step two.
    Mike
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Im sure you have turned off the printer and rebooted the pc, if not give it a try. This is a great place to start.
  • Options
    Wait, you still have a VCR image

Stone gave some very good advice.
  • Options
    Morning,

Thanks Mike and all, I have tried everything, damm thing will scan just fine, but now printing is so slow, mostly it doesnt even try. Off to Wally World this afternoon to buy new one, on a Budget.....Any ideas?

Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Morning,

Thanks Mike and all, I have tried everything, damm thing will scan just fine, but now printing is so slow, mostly it doesnt even try. Off to Wally World this afternoon to buy new one, on a Budget.....Any ideas?

Thanks
    Neil >>

<<< I have used for 6-7 years >>>

Make sure the new printer is compatible with your computer's operating system. Sometimes a new printer will not work with an older computer. Check the outside of the printer's box for the specs, before ya take it home and waste a lot of time. Make sure ya buy or have the correct cable - most printers don't come with a cable.

I'm not 100% sure the problem is with your printer, although it could be. Do you "defragment" your computer every once in awhile? You can Google "defragment" to find out how to do it - it's very easy, but may take some hours to do, so do it when not needing to use the computer. This will help clear up space on your hard drive and the computer will operate better and faster.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

At WMT........

The low-end Canon printer/scanners are so cheap that they are disposable.
    Bought several of the MP250 models. They cost less than the ink on my good
    printers.

They are perfect for printing invoices/labels. They are adequate for emergency
    EBAY scans. The software is a bit intrusive, but you can disable some it or dump
    the output to your preferred image programs.

Look online for generic WMT coupons. If you find a $10 one, you can get the
    cheap Canons out the door for $20 cash. (WMT sells my good ink for $40+!)

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At WMT........

The low-end Canon printer/scanners are so cheap that they are disposable.
    Bought several of the MP250 models. They cost less than the ink on my good
    printers.

They are perfect for printing invoices/labels. They are adequate for emergency
    EBAY scans. The software is a bit intrusive, but you can disable some it or dump
    the output to your preferred image programs.

Look online for generic WMT coupons. If you find a $10 one, you can get the
    cheap Canons out the door for $20 cash. (WMT sells my good ink for $40+!) >>

You just made Neil's head explode...

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Neil,
    Last night my HP printer also died. It had a long life. Last night I checked Staples, Ebay, Wal-Mart and Target. Target, at least in my area, has a nice sale on Epson WorkForce 325. I just hooked it up so can't give you too much experience, but it prints/scans/copies/faxes and is WIFI. It is on MAJOR sale for $49.99.
    Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Morning,

Thanks
    Neil >>

Make sure the new printer is compatible with your computer's operating system. Sometimes a new printer will not work with an older computer. Check the outside of the printer's box for the specs, before ya take it home and waste a lot of time. Make sure ya buy or have the correct cable - most printers don't come with a cable.

I'm not 100% sure the problem is with your printer, although it could be. Do you "defragment" your computer every once in awhile? You can Google "defragment" to find out how to do it - it's very easy, but may take some hours to do, so do it when not needing to use the computer. This will help clear up space on your hard drive and the computer will operate better and faster. >>

Afternoon,

That's what scares me too, I am not 100% convinced it is the Printer as well, I can see going and buying a new Printer, bring it home and it does the same thing.

I just Defragged the computor....No difference!

Neil
  • Options

<< <i>Neil,
    Last night my HP printer also died. It had a long life. Last night I checked Staples, Ebay, Wal-Mart and Target. Target, at least in my area, has a nice sale on Epson WorkForce 325. I just hooked it up so can't give you too much experience, but it prints/scans/copies/faxes and is WIFI. It is on MAJOR sale for $49.99.
    Good luck! >>

Sound like I'll be going to Target!

Neil
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Look to see what is in your "print spool" or "spooler."

It's possible that it is the problem.

You can try clearing it.

1. Click "start" and go to "Run"

2. Type "services.msc" at the prompt which will open the Services
    window (ooh, pretty...)

3. Scroll down the alphabetical list in the right window pane until you come
    to the entry with the name "Print Spooler"

4. Right-click this entry, then select "stop". This will stop the computer
    running the process that holds your print queues.

5. Leaving that window open for now, click again on "Start", and then click
    "My Computer" to open a Windows Explorer window.

6. We've stopped the queue service, now we just have to clear the jam that is
    already there. To do this we navigate to the print spool folder which is hiding
    within the Windows folders. Usually Windows is installed on C: drive, but you
    should be easily able to tell when the Explorer window opens which drive it is
    on.

The usual path to the spool folder is

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS, but yours may be slightly
    different. Your windows drive may have another name for instance, but this would
    be uncommon.

So click on your Windows drive (usually C), then double-click on
    the Windows folder, and then find the System32 folder and double-click on
    that. Windows may warn you that you are about to view system files, but click
    "View files anyway" message and search out the "spool folder". Within the
    Spool folder is your Printers folder, and you should open that.

7. Delete every file within this folder to empty the jammed print queue
    (pressing the "ctrl" and "a" keys will select all files and then you can just
    hit "delete").

8.Close the explorer window now that we have emptied the cleared spool files,
    and return to your Services window. we must re-start the Print spool
    service, and do so by right-clicking the Print Spool entry and selecting
    "Start" from the list. Close the services window and try printing again

If your print spool folder contained no files to delete, then this article will
    obviously not be the appropriate solution to your issue.

Instructions provided by:

www.topfreestuff.com

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Morning,

Thanks
    Neil >>

I'm not 100% sure the problem is with your printer, although it could be. Do you "defragment" your computer every once in awhile? You can Google "defragment" to find out how to do it - it's very easy, but may take some hours to do, so do it when not needing to use the computer. This will help clear up space on your hard drive and the computer will operate better and faster. >>

Afternoon,

That's what scares me too, I am not 100% convinced it is the Printer as well, I can see going and buying a new Printer, bring it home and it does the same thing.

I just Defragged the computor....No difference!

Neil >>

I've owned around 5 or 6 printers, and with each one of them the hardware breaks before the software wears out, and I just threw them out...so I've never had to contend with your type of problem. I did have one computer where the hard drive finally wore out, and perhaps the "hard drive" part of the printer, the part which does the rasterizing or processing or whatever it's called, has finally worn out - but this is just a guess. In any event, for $50 or whatever it doesn't hurt that much to spend the money on a new printer to find out - hopefully it all works out.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to learn how to set the clock on your VCR.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe it's time to learn how to set the clock on your VCR. >>

Why ??????..................................That's what I have two 14 year olds for!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage