Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any colonial experts in Mexican 8 reales out there.....I need some help!!!

bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone really know the difference between the KM 304 and KM 305......because according to NGC I have the KM 305 and its listed in Krause as
rare with no price......

Krause says the KM 305 is: Obv: Bust similar to 8 Escudos, KM#131 Rev: Crowned eagle ....

But when I enter KM#131 in Numismaster it brings me to a 2 escudo piece...?????

Only one in NGC census if it really is a KM 305 and its this piece....

I bought it as the common variety ( which is very tough in higher grade itself).....KM 304.

COULD IT REALLY BE A KM 305?

HOW DO I KNOW FOR SURE?

DID NGC make a mistake?

Any experts out there?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I don't know if you've asked this on the Dark Side, but according to my copies of KM, you have KM 304.

(By the way, the description says "similar to KM 313" not KM 131.)

The difference in the Bust is easy to see, but hard to explain - there's sort of a "crease" that runs from the bottom left of the Bust to the bottom middle of the Bust. This "crease" isn't present in the Bust of KM 313.

Edited to add: I see you did ask this on the Dark Side, but it hasn't been answered yet. Really nice coin, by the way!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replied in the other thread.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know if you've asked this on the Dark Side, but according to my copies of KM, you have KM 304.

(By the way, the description says "similar to KM 313" not KM 131.)

The difference in the Bust is easy to see, but hard to explain - there's sort of a "crease" that runs from the bottom left of the Bust to the bottom middle of the Bust. This "crease" isn't present in the Bust of KM 313.

Edited to add: I see you did ask this on the Dark Side, but it hasn't been answered yet. Really nice coin, by the way! >>

I appreciate your help. Are you viewing the crease in the bust you are describing from the Krause catalog.......?

I have a numismaster subscription and it says KM 131.....regardless, when I put in KM 313 under the KM number slot, I get nothing that even resembles this type.....

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to CoinArchives, this is the KM131 8 Escudos bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file