Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1988 Wonderama NWA Wrestling Sting Rookie...

I got to meet Sting a few weeks ago and decided to try and track down a Mint example of his Rookie Card. I already had four but each was 70/30 Left to Right.

I purchased six sets of the 1988 NWA Wonderama cards looking for nice examples of cards in the set but with my primary focus on a strong Sting Rookie Card. I was concered I would have an issue with centering and did with five of six being 70/30 left to right.

I got one with nice centering and here it is.

I am hoping to try and get a few signed at some point at an Impact Wrestling show.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sting PSA 10

This card hit EBAY today and didn't last long. $600 for the first PSA 10.

I have the other Sting PSA 10 which is one of the action shots.

Very impressive price right here.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Very strong price. I'm really interested to see how a 1987 high grade sting does.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I bought 13 sets looking for this card in a PSA 10 and struck out. This seller hit a home run.

Overall it turned out to be a great investment but I really wanted a 10 to keep.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. Very strong price. I'm really interested to see how a 1987 high grade sting does. >>

So this one is not his rookie card??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow. Very strong price. I'm really interested to see how a 1987 high grade sting does. >>

So this one is not his rookie card?? >>

There is a test run set from 1987 that is extremely limited. They have a different paper stock on the back. The set is limited to the cards numbered 1-50 and the 1988 set is 343 cards.

This card is not in that set and only one of the three are.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my 1987 Sting test run cards got a PSA 9 which is awesome for the test run, strong price for that PSA 10 for sure when PSA 9s are not too tough.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    I normally don't deal in wrestling cards but this thread reminded me that I picked up a partial set of these as part of a purchase a while back. I dug them out and found all corners to be fine no creases etc but of course the centering is the issue. I expected to see more of these had been graded but I guess centering keeps them from being sent in. Unfortunately the regular Sting card was not among the cards I have. Several of his other ones were though, one might be worth sending to PSA. Cool looking cards.
  • Options
    Rick Steiner

Amazing price for this card. It is the only one graded and it is a tough card due to centering but shocked at the price. I have a couple I know that are decent and will definitely go looking through my other sets.

This seller is smart. He prices his cards in the stratosphere and gets many solid offers.

He has flipped a couple of cards I have sold him in straight auction for multiples of what he paid.

• Options

<< <i>Rick Steiner

Amazing price for this card. It is the only one graded and it is a tough card due to centering but shocked at the price. I have a couple I know that are decent and will definitely go looking through my other sets.

This seller is smart. He prices his cards in the stratosphere and gets many solid offers.

He has flipped a couple of cards I have sold him in straight auction for multiples of what he paid. >>

He has a few cards that interest me but his pricing is so high I haven't bothered to even make an offer.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick Steiner

He has flipped a couple of cards I have sold him in straight auction for multiples of what he paid. >>

That price seems a bit excessive to me, but kudos for the seller.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Rick Steiner

That price seems a bit excessive to me, but kudos for the seller. >>

I love it though.

The stupid wrestling cards. The seller probably has $0.25 in the card, gets it graded and flips it for $113. Yet they suck. Haha.

• Options
    The NWA Wonderama cards might just be the best rate of return you can find from the 80's. Check this out.

A Black Bart PSA 9 sells for $29.95. Nice going Pmkay!

PSA 9 Black Bart

I have to give you props for sending this one in. I wouldn't have had the guts. I have over 3,000 loose cards still from the sets and there are plenty of 9's and 10's of the bums.

• Options

<< <i>The NWA Wonderama cards might just be the best rate of return you can find from the 80's. Check this out.

A Black Bart PSA 9 sells for $29.95. Nice going Pmkay!

PSA 9 Black Bart

I have to give you props for sending this one in. I wouldn't have had the guts. I have over 3,000 loose cards still from the sets and there are plenty of 9's and 10's of the bums. >>

Ha, was just going to send you a PM about this as I know you like to track these sales.
  • Options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Wonderama-NWA-Wrestling-Many-Sting-Rookies-Road-Warriors-PSA-8-5-Ric-Flair-/142257060712?hash=item211f2e7b68:g:NkUAAOSwnHZYTCWO

OMG $350 for a set. I remember buying 10 for $400 years ago. Don't recall ever seeing one sell for this much.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

How have the cards from the 1987 test been selling? I haven't followed that in a while but remember it being pretty rare

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

I haven't seen many for sale lately. The set I referenced above was a super high priced BIN and it worked and got a great offer. What is wild is that a collector in Florida bought a box and it was an 87 Test box. He hit a home run. Kind of makes me want to gamble on a box next time one comes up! I was able to get a Flair from him that is very off centered but it is in my stack to send in which is nice.