Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Protecting your coins (for all you easteners)

Everyone be careful the next couple of days. And please don't forget to get your shiny little round bits up off the floor. Nicely packed in some waterfproof baggies is a good start. My daughter and son in law called from NYC, they have all their hurricane supplies ready. 2 cases of beer, 6 bottles of wine, crackers, cheese in a can, beef jerky, and a bottle of water in case they run out of beer.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think with those supplies they will handle the storm nicely image
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried about the coins, they are in the bank (and not in an area prone to flooding).

I am worried about my library which is in my (dry) finished basement--the only room in the house that will support the weight! The basement is half above ground and has 4 large windows. If those windows get compromised by the wind or a blowing object, water could easily enter the library. You can bet if that happens, I will be outside with a tarp trying to cover the window!

I've got the beer and wine too, but I want to be fully lucid during this one.
  • Options
    "I've got the beer and wine too, but I want to be fully lucid during this one."

Admirable ambition; questionable judgement image
  • Options
    I'm thinking about evacuating Southern California in case the hurricane turns west.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems that the storm is pretty much behind us. Have never stayed in an apartment straight for so many hours..
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    z .... we call those summer storms down here in Louisiana; you should have gone outside and fly a kite !!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought my coins were safe. All were locked up in safe deposit boxes, as usual. And none of the boxes were close to ground level. But I learned an important lesson from this storm. One of my banks flooded, with less than an inch of water throughout the lobby, and no water in the vault. But when I went to check up on the coins today, I found that the moisture in the air permeated the safe deposit boxes and the double row boxes of coins within. Not that anything was wet, but the 2X2 paper envelopes in the boxes had a mild odor to them. I spent the day repackaging the coins, the coins are now safely stored away at another bank, and I'm not worried. The only loss, besides my time, were a handful of old auction tickets that I felt had to go. But from now on, I will select my bank vaults more carefully!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone be careful the next couple of days. And please don't forget to get your shiny little round bits up off the floor. Nicely packed in some waterfproof baggies is a good start. My daughter and son in law called from NYC, they have all their hurricane supplies ready. 2 cases of beer, 6 bottles of wine, crackers, cheese in a can, beef jerky, and a bottle of water in case they run out of beer. >>

What about the 45 AUTOmatic and 50 rnds of ammunition and a Rooskie phrase bookimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    I told my brother in Coney Island to buy some rum to trade for toilet paper.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    They are in NYC, no .45's allowed.

My son in law is a lawyer from Long Island, the first time he came down to visit he was smazed at my small collection of firearms, I'm currently at 5 shotguns, 27 pistols and 35 rifles. I've got a bunch of "fun" guns, H&K SLB 2000, H&K USC, an Inglis Hipower with the shoulder stock etc., his first question was "is it really legal for regular people to own these?".
  • Options
    My son in law is a lawyer from Long Island, the first time he came down to visit he was smazed at my small collection of firearms, I'm currently at 5 shotguns, 27 pistols and 35 rifles. I've got a bunch of "fun" guns, H&K SLB 2000, H&K USC, an Inglis Hipower with the shoulder stock etc., his first question was "is it really legal for regular people to own these?".

With all those guns, how could he have mistaken you for a "regular person"?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought my coins were safe. All were locked up in safe deposit boxes, as usual. And none of the boxes were close to ground level. But I learned an important lesson from this storm. One of my banks flooded, with less than an inch of water throughout the lobby, and no water in the vault. But when I went to check up on the coins today, I found that the moisture in the air permeated the safe deposit boxes and the double row boxes of coins within. Not that anything was wet, but the 2X2 paper envelopes in the boxes had a mild odor to them. I spent the day repackaging the coins, the coins are now safely stored away at another bank, and I'm not worried. The only loss, besides my time, were a handful of old auction tickets that I felt had to go. But from now on, I will select my bank vaults more carefully! >>

Yikes!

You've got to sell me some coins from that vault to help prevent that from happening again in the future.... image
  • Options
    You've got to sell me some coins from that vault to help prevent that from happening again in the future....

Maybe if I thought they would be safer in your basement...
    Andy Lustig