Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

PCGS Honors Mike Marshall

link

As many of you know, Mike Marshall has been a tireless fighter against counterfeit coins. He has successfully forced ebay to remove Canadian "replica" coins from their listings. In this article, PCGS announces that they have honored him with an award. My guess is that they will pick his brain to see what can be done to root out counterfeits from other countries as well.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike has done a great job.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takes a Canadian, eh? Nice move on their part.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    I'm honored to say that Mikey has been a friend for 5-6 years and he took the bull by the horns, tussled and won .. although in the beginning, nearly everyone was stroking against him. He was a Don Quixote who suceeded. A committee working on US fraud and counterfeiting from the House of Reps has also been in touch with him to see what can be done for the US .. PCGS actually doing somethiung helped his efforts, but the RCNA is still sitting on their thumbs and clueless.
  • Options
    I remember fighting ebay back when you could notify the bidder that the coin in the listing they bid on was a counterfeit.

Ebay suspended my account for doing that, even after I first provided proof (while auctions were in progress) that the coins were counterfeit, and then watching ebay let the auctions continue anyway. As the counterfeits were of U.S. coins, which are still legal tender, I made efforts to have the listings stopped through legal means, but met with no success. After ebay changed their site to prevent anyone from being able to contact bidders, they reinstated my account.

I strongly suspect ebay didn't (and still doesn't) want to stop counterfeits from being listed, as they get commissions both on sales and on payments made via PayPal.

I'm glad someone was able to force ebay to act, but it still takes the intervention of federal governments to do so.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike has done a fantastic job here in Canada 'outing' the Chinese counterfeits.

He's gone after Ebay, he's provided education and actual samples of each and every date of counterfeits and he has the R.C.M.P. involved too.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)