Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1992-93 Wild Card Basketball-Some w/Blank Stripe??

"New Guy" to these boards, but long-time hobby-collector...

After collecting/buying cards for my entire life (mainly baseball), I started going through a particular group of 40k+ cards I bought at an auction in 1998. Lots of great cards, I have 13 1992-93 Wild Card College Basketball cards that are throwing me for a loop, a couple are from a sports show in SF, but the majority (8) have blank stripes. After doing some simple research, I hit allot of dead-ends. I understand the concept, 1000's, 500's,100's, etc, but I cannot find any information on the blank stripes. Im going to try and link some pictures from my photobucket account, hope it works. Does anyone have any idea and/or information about the blank stripes? Thank You.

"Like I've said before, life's pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it"
-Ferris Bueller

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    They appear to be either promos or maybe one of the mystery prizes you could you. I would guess the later. Note they have that foil circile on them and the photos do not appear to be the normal card photos. Although perhaps rare, I don't imagine there is much value in them. The basketball set appears to not have the fanbase the football does.

Welcome to the board.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Ebay search: 0 turnups
    Google seach: 0 turnups

Who knows you may have some proof set, I'm sure someone on these boards will know. There are quite a few knowledgeable collectors here.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    A lot of Wild Card stuff either got backdoored or liquidated when they went out of business, so there's really no telling where they came from. I've seen about 6 sets of the 1000 stripe basketball set sell in the last 6 months which is absurd considering how impossible it would've been to put the set together back then. I wouldn't put much value in the no stripes or any random promo, but you might get a few bucks from a player collector for the stars.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I found this description on an ebay auction (although it was for NFL cards).

"THIS AMAZING SHEET OF WILD CARD NFL PRINTER'S PROOFS IS FOR THE ADVANCED COLLECTOR OF WILD CARD STRIPE CARDS. IN GOING THROUGH ONE WAREHOUSE WE FOUND ONE OF THESE A FEW MONTHS AGO AND SOLD IT PRIVATELY, JUST FOUND A FEW MORE AND ARE OFFERING IT ON EBAY. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING REALLY UNIQUE FOR YOUR COLLECTION, THIS IS IT. THE SHEET IS IN GREAT CONDITION. I DON'T THINK YOU WILL SEE THIS ITEM AGAIN AFTER IT IS SOLD. THANKS FOR LOOKING. FREE SHIPPING AND INSURANCE TO THE LUCKY BUYER TO USA ADDRESSES. THIS SHEET HAS THE BAR FOR THE STRIPE VALUE BUT IS BLANK."
    link
  • Options
    My money is on them being foil process errors. Like most products using a post-printing foiling process, they missed this step. Very commonly back-doored during this time period too.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen about 6 sets of the 1000 stripe basketball set sell in the last 6 months which is absurd considering how impossible it would've been to put the set together back then. >>

I've noticed that as well. The last set I watched sold for $186 including shipping. That buyer now has the set listed with a BIN at over $1,100.

I buy singles for my player collections--have picked up 1000 stripe cards for as cheap as $4 bucks each. Just have to watch and wait for them to hit market at the right price.

My first thought with the OP's no number stripes was a "no foil printing error". But it could be a promo/proof of some sort as well.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a 1000 stripe for 7 bucks for providence college collection. I was going to buy from some guy that posted here a couple of weeks ago for 20 bucks... But the goon never got back to me. His crummy service saved me 14 bucks. These seem to flooding the mkt for some reason. I think the favre rookie 1000 stripe is still one of his best. Along with his star picks auto.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the welcome and advice on these Wild Cards. Still trying to decide if I should PSA these? Not a member of PSA yet but considering joining so I can submit my first few hundred cards. Still learning the basics of population reports, ratings, etc. Thanks again!
    "Like I've said before, life's pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it"
    -Ferris Bueller
  • Options
    Let me know if any of these are for sale.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The basketball 1000 stripes seem to be the ones that show up the most, all the others from 1991-1993 seem to be legitimately tough the higher number the stripe. I just picked up 5, 10, 20 and 50 stripe sets from 1991 NFL which never show up on ebay, yet somehow the 1000 stripe basketball sets pop up about once a month. I've also seen more A LOT Barry Sanders stripe cards than any other player so I'm guessing those were backdoored at the time as well since he was the top selling player in the early 90s.
  • Options
    With the lack of information on the internet regarding these blank stripes I would think they would be worthy of a rating from PSA or Beckets. Thanks again for the information.
    -Ferris Bueller