Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

How Do I Start Collecting Coins?

I am 16 years old and want to start collecting coins. It seems like a really neat hobby, but the problem is I don't know where to start! I don't have any coins, and certainly don't have the money to buy any ones of any substantial value. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to start collecting? I don’t want to sound like a beggar, but if there are any coin giveaways or if someone wants to get rid of a few coins, I would really appreciate the chance to start a hobby that I hope serves as a source of enjoyment and comfort throughout my life.

Thanks!

Jimmy L.
Jimmy L.
Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport

Comments

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    You can start like I and my father did, pick up some Lincoln cents rolls from the bank and start looking through them for wheat cents,varieties or even mint state coins, same with nickels you may find some buffalo or silver war nickels, dimes there is a 1982 with no mint mark, quarters could have silver or varieties or key dates in Uncirculated condition and halves maybe able to find some silver coins for face value also. Any half 1970 and back is silver. You should also Buy a used older coin book from a resale shop or used book store and start reading. The book will be your best investment to start with. Mike
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    If you're interested in world coins and into using ebay, you can buy mixed world coins at about $10 per pound. After sorting through and keeping what you want you could resell the rest of them and it won't cost you much, I sometime make a profit when I sell.

Then, some catalogues are quite usefull to identify them, I believe many libraries have world coin catalogues, or, if you are 16, you probably don't pay for music and could download digital versions of coin catalogues from the same places.

Once you start collecting a few coins you'll probably find a country or type you're interested in and it just keeps getting better from there.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...