Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How Do I Start Collecting Coins?

I am 16 years old and want to start collecting coins. It seems like a really neat hobby, but the problem is I don't know where to start! I don't have any coins, and certainly don't have the money to buy any ones of any substantial value. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to start collecting? I don’t want to sound like a beggar, but if there are any coin giveaways or if someone wants to get rid of a few coins, I would really appreciate the chance to start a hobby that I hope serves as a source of enjoyment and comfort throughout my life.

Thanks!

Jimmy L.
Jimmy L.
Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider visiting your library and look for some coin books- Not just catalogs, but something that will provide a little history. Spend some time reading to gain alittle more appreciation and knowledge before diving in and buying coins without a sense of purpose.

The more coins you have the opportuntiy to look at, you can develop an appreciation what coins you may want want to collect as well as understanding striking characteristics and grading

Welcome and good luck in your collecting efforts

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, you've made an important first step by joining these forums, activating your Private Messages, and coming here, to the best forum of all. (It might be a little sleepier than the others, but it's the best, trust me.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick a country or countries you like.......
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome onboard. What a great age to start collecting!

Combine reading and looking at various coins and designs. This forum is a great start with very friendly knowledgable people. My collecting themes were based on a connection between history and designwork which turned out as being quite subjective. One thing for certain, you will change direction along the way which makes this hobby an endless quest.

Lastly, feel free to ask or PM on any subject. Someone here will know the answer!

Enjoy.
  • Here are a few thoughts that come to mind.

First, make up your mind that you are collecting for the enjoyment it brings, not for any idea that you might build a collection worth significantly more than the money you have spent, though it's fine to seek out bargains.

Always keep in mind that bargains are found not by luck, but by educating yourself such that you know more than the average collector about your chosen collectable area.

Focus on a well defined collectable area.

Choose your area of focus based upon something you find interesting.

Avoid all forms of "granny bait"; that is, don't fall for every new thing that may come out of a country's mint, and especially steer clear of anything advertised on TV, such as those commercials that start out with the words, "You are looking at history in the making!", because you most certainly aren't.

Anything described as "collectable" is worthless.

Every lot described as "unsearched" has been thoroughly cherry-picked.

Ebay listings containing "Wow", "Rare", "L@@K" or any exclamatory phrase at all aren't worth viewing.

U.S. coins can get very expensive in high grades very fast, which is why many in this forum focus elsewhere.

Personally, I have chosen to focus on a single denomination of Philippine coinage under U.S. Administration, because it reflects my marriage as an American to a Filipina, and because I find it both challenging and affordable. However, there are many other both challenging and affordable areas of World Coinage which may interest you. As an English speaker, you might consider and find a great deal of satisfaction collecting Canadian, British or Australian coinage. You might even focus more narrowly on a former British colony's coinage, such as that of British East Africa. I know there are a multitude of former British colonies that had extremely interesting coinage. And though I cannot provide a complete list, I have no doubt there is at least one person here that can.

Do some research and choose a category. When you have decided on a category, then make another post describing what, why, and how you chose your specific area. If, for example, you decide on US-Philippine coinage 1903-1945, then I would happily send you a few coins as a starter set. I would wager the same would be true for any such category you might choose, if in your description of why and how you chose that area you demonstrate sufficient interest for someone who specializes in the same area to think it worthwhile to donate a few items to get you started.

The request you have already made is an excellent start.
    It's official. He's a Darksider now. I have hypno- ... um... recruited him. image

Be kind to our newly-minted Darksider.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>Here's a few thoughts that come to mind.

First, make up your mind that you are collecting for the enjoyment it brings, not for any idea that you might build a collection worth significantly more than the money you have spent, though it's fine to seek out bargains.

Always keep in mind that bargains are found not by luck, but by educating yourself such that you know more than the average collector about your chosen collectable area.

Focus on a well defined collectable area.

Choose your area of focus based upon something you find interesting.

Avoid all forms of "granny bait"; that is, don't fall for every new thing that may come out of a country's mint, and especially steer clear of anything advertised on TV, such as those commercials that start out with the words, "You are looking at history in the making!", because you most certainly aren't.

Anything described as "collectable" is worthless.

Every lot described as "unsearched" has been thoroughly cherry-picked.

Ebay listings containing "Wow", "Rare", "L@@K" or any exclamatory phrase at all aren't worth viewing.

U.S. coins can get very expensive in high grades very fast, which is why many in this forum focus elsewhere.

Personally, I have chosen to focus on a single denomination of Philippine coinage under U.S. Administration, because it reflects my marriage as an American to a Filipina, and because I find it both challenging and affordable. However, there are many other both challenging and affordable areas of World Coinage which may interest you. As an English speaker, you might consider and find a great deal of satisfaction collecting Canadian, British or Australian coinage. You might even focus more narrowly on a former British colony's coinage, such as that of British East Africa. I know there are a multitude of former British colonies that had extremely interesting coinage. And though I cannot provide a complete list, I have no doubt there is at least one person here that can.

Do some research and choose a category. When you have decided on a category, then make another post describing what, why, and how you chose your specific area. If, for example, you decide on US-Philippine coinage 1903-1945, then I would happily send you a few coins as a starter set. I would wager the same would be true for any such category you might choose, if in your description of why and how you chose that area you demonstrate sufficient interest for someone who specializes in the same area to think it worthwhile to donate a few items to get you started.

I was thinking about what you said, and I think I might know what category of coins I would like to start collecting in. I am deeply interested Chinese history, culture, and language, and have been studying Mandarin Chinese for four years (this summer I spent 5 weeks on study in China). Perhaps Post-Revolution PRC coins (1949-present) is the right place to start. I am for certain that modern Chinese coins are the right coins to collect for me. I am interested and have invested myself in their culture, so coins would be a great branch to further explore and learn. The category, modern coins, is perhaps most appropriate because it is probably the cheapest to start a collection and supply is easily accessible compared to older Chinese coins.

What do you think?

The request you have already made is an excellent start. >>

Jimmy L.
    Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000, lordmarcovan, WTCG, PRoemisch, Hayden, bolivarshagnasty, nibanny, morgan3896, WaterSport
  • Given your interest in Chinese history, culture, and language, Post-Revolution PRC coins (1949-present) seems to be a perfect choice to me.

I believe with the rise of China economically in the world, there is great potential in that choice, and I know there are several here who can advise you in that area.

Now, you need only await their advice, and if it isn't forthcoming soon, then create a post with "Post-Revolution PRC coins (1949-present)" as the subject, and they will promptly read it.

Good luck to you.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to a coin show and look at a lot of coins that you may be interested in and ask a few questions. Some dealers will be helpful. Try to figure out what you want to collect and get some price knowledge before purchasing anything. You have to decide what you want to collect. You could also get a little education by checking ebay completed auctions for use a sort of price guide. Coin collecting has a level for every budget. I have collected US coins (first),civil war tokens, foreign coins, ancient coins,notgeld and just about everything numismatic at one time or another. If you lose interest you can always sell and start anew in a new venture or set. You need to decide if you want to collect type coins or series or any other way-The choice is yours.
    After awhile you will become more advanced in whatever field you venture into and will need books-You heard it before-buy the book before the coin. There are many ways to collect. Raw coins or certified (PCGS,NGC, or ANACS are my suggestions). I started in world coins by buying the big Krause world coin book. (there was only one then).There are specialized reference books in just about any series of US coins (VAM,Sheldon,Overton,etc.) Hope this helps -- Bob
    I'm sending Jimmy here a starter package with a couple of books, some flips and pocket pages, quite a few coins, a magnifier, and a Whitman folder for Indian cents (even though I recruited him as a Darksider, we'll let him dabble on the Liteside a bit too, right?) image

If somebody has an extra, used copy of the 20th century Krause, that would be a big help. He is probably willing to pay the shipping.

• There really are a lot of ways to go about collecting. Some focus on history, some on artwork, some on investment... just about any theme you can think of. If you're on a limited budget, you'll need to focus on an area that is cheap enough to keep you interested and occupied. There's really no right or wrong in a collecting theme, you just need to decide what it is you like.

As others have said, read up and keep informed about the scams and tricksters who prey on collectors. Ask these guys on here anything you want to know, and let us help you learn from our own experiences.

Best of luck!

• ..in fact, it could take years to settle in to a main area of focus, it took me quite a while, and I'm still on three different areas. I really like English history, so I started with a small collection of hammered English coins. But I also enjoy art, so I collect French jetons.

Don't worry too much about focusing at first, just try it and see what happens.
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Where do you live Jimmy? Give us an address and I am sure there is someone who lives near you who could give you the address of a good coin dealer near you. Just hanging out in a coin shop will start your education in a life long quest of this great hobby. I was about your age when I started collecting US coins. I switched in the mid 70's to foreign coins. I will be 65 this saturday, so have been collecting for almost 50 years. Enjoy! Welcome aboard.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Chineese coin are on the up and hot right now, so depending on the type it of coins you are after it might be an expensive choice to buy any of decent grades. Not that I want to put you off.

As others have said, read before you leap. Educate, educate and educate yourself about whatever you want to collect prior to buying.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, (especially on this forum where there are many experienced collectors and experts) no matter how silly the question may sound. In the Navy the theosophy used to be, "there is no such thing as a silly question, only silly answers."

You can only really learn by being interested, questioning yourself or others.

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    As everyone has made clear, get an education first, read read read.

There are many ways to collect, By county, by date, by theme, by metal content ie. copper, silver. There are those that collect coins in the lowest possible condition without damage. The field is wide open to your own wishes. Enjoy and above all have fun with you new hobby.

Don't be afraid to ask question.

I collect medals as in my sig. line, I also collect Autos on coins, Lions on coins and medals. Find something you will be proud of every time you pick it up.

• << <i> Find something you will be proud of every time you pick it up. >>

This is a very good point, one we should all remember. If you don't feel something when you look at it, then maybe it's not working. I sell a lot and buy a lot, but the ones I keep long-term are the ones that make me feel something when I pick it up, whether it's pride in ownership or just a strong connection with other times and places.
  • Chinese cash enthusiast