Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

71 Topps Grading Results

I am putting together a 1971 Topps set in PSA 7 or better condition. Therefore, when buying raw cards, I look for cards that meet or exceed the PSA 7 standard. Of the 28 cards submitted on this invoice, I had 21 meet the PSA 7 unqualified standard (75% standard). I guess not too bad. My results:

1 1971 TOPPS 5 THURMAN MUNSON ALL-STAR ROOKIE 7
2 1971 TOPPS 14 DAVE CONCEPCION N/A 7
3 1971 TOPPS 26 BERT BLYLEVEN N/A 7
4 1971 TOPPS 30 PHIL NIEKRO N/A 7
5 1971 TOPPS 35 LOU PINIELLA N/A 8
6 1971 TOPPS 45 JIM HUNTER N/A 7
7 1971 TOPPS 50 WILLIE McCOVEY N/A 7
8 1971 TOPPS 55 STEVE CARLTON N/A 7
9 1971 TOPPS 65 A.L. HOME RUN LEADS N/A 7
10 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE N/A 7
11 1971 TOPPS 117 TED SIMMONS N/A 8
12 1971 TOPPS 160 TOM SEAVER N/A 6
12 1971 TOPPS 160 TOM SEAVER N/A Not Holdered, Altered
13 1971 TOPPS 180 AL KALINE N/A 8
14 1971 TOPPS 210 ROD CAREW N/A Not Holdered, Re-Colored
15 1971 TOPPS 230 WILLIE STARGELL N/A 6
16 1971 TOPPS 250 JOHNNY BENCH N/A 5
17 1971 TOPPS 325 JUAN MARICHAL N/A 7ST
18 1971 TOPPS 400 HANK AARON N/A 7
19 1971 TOPPS 439 1971 ROOKIE STARS GREG LUZINSKI,SCOTT REID 8
20 1971 TOPPS 450 BOB GIBSON N/A 6
21 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN N/A 7
22 1971 TOPPS 544 VIDA BLUE N/A 7
23 1971 TOPPS 570 JIM PALMER N/A 7
24 1971 TOPPS 574 JIM BUNNING N/A 7
25 1971 TOPPS 618 TUG McGRAW N/A 8

On another invoice that is coming back with this one, I also had a card not holdered due to coloring. I like to think of myself pretty observant in judging raw specimens of the 71s, but I think the fact that doctored cards can get by a person like me who has collected for close to 25 years all the more supports buying 71 Topps cards already graded. On the doctored Seaver, I know it was purchased from one of two places: (1) a card show; or (2) from a major, well known, card dealer (the other Seaver would have been purchased from the other dealer). I don't have the information on who the seller was at the card show so I cannot track that person down. If I were to guess, I would say the Seaver was purchased from the card show dealer; I don't think the particular major, well known dealer would have sold such a card. On the other hand, the Ted Simmons, which graded an 8, was also purchased from that same card show dealer. I therefore guess I will have to eat it on the Seaver.

On the Rod Carew, I know the name of the dealer I purchased that card from. I believe the dealer to be fairly well known and reputable; I specifically recall discussing the condition of this card before I bought it from them. In any event, because I have had success with this particular dealer in the past, I don't think they intentionally attempted to pass an altered card as legitimate (the Munson and Rose cards above, which pulled 7s, were purchased at the same time). If anything, this further shows how tough it can be to spot doctored 71s even by the best dealers. In any event, I plan on writing this dealer and seeing how they handle the situation. Depending upon what they say will effect whether I purchase from them in the future.

Shifting gears, I must say I am tickled pink about the Ryan pulling a 7. I bought this card as a kid (had to have been at least 15 years ago) at a major show in San Francisco. I had it graded by PSA a couple of years ago and it was given a 6. As I gathered more PSA 7 71 Topps cards, the more it came evident that the card was under graded. There was no way this card should spend the rest of its life in a 7 holder! So, I cracked it out and sent it back in. As seen by the 7 grade, justice has been served! I now can avoid coughing up the 100 or so bucks to purchase a 7. Yippee!

On a final note, will I continue to buy raw 71s? Most definately. I like the thrill of the raw card chase and seeing what grades I get. Fortunately, I do not need any of the most expensive cards from the set (these I would buy only graded) so the expense should be minimized. However, I may try to pick up a Seaver and Bench already graded PSA 7. The hunt continues..... image

Comments

• Options
    Good for you.

Munson and Rose are the real friggin' keys to the set. VERY underpriced in 7's

Good luck with your set. Now get in on the registry and join the rest of the lunatics on the 71 page!
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ZARDOZ - What is your official '71 title?
    King Lunatic
    Head Lunatic
    Chief Lunatic
    Mister Lunatic
    Lord Lunatic
    Sir Lunatic
    Emperor Lunatic
  • Options
    you forgot an "all of the above" title.image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    My apoligies!!!!
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I am currently participating in the 71 set registry (Matts 71 Set or something like that; ranked about 12th). It took me forever to find a decent Munson (over two years). They rarely come up for sale in 7 or better and when they do, they are pretty pricey. Most seem to be terribly off center or miscut. A very tough card to get in a decent grade. Glad I now have it!

Given the condition sensitivity of this set, I roughly compare 7s from this set to 8s in other early 70s sets. I do agree that many of the tougher cards (such as Rose and Munson as mentioned) in 7 grade will increase in value. I think many other 7s from this set are still a good deal considering how tough, and maddening, this issue is.