Home PSA Set Registry Forum

APBA Cards

Will PSA grade these? I can't find any in any pop report, so I figure the answer may be no.

Dug up an old thread from 2004, but didn't look like the answer was fully discovered.

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Not sure but I once sent my sister in to PRO for graading and she came back graded "used"......

Just kidding. I would assume that if PSA has a holder, they would grade it. What size are the cards. Do you have one you can scan?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I would think that they would, maybe even Stratomatic cards......if not you probably just gave them a new idea......would think that the older one's would be even rarer than baseball cards since we all used them on a daily basis to play the games.....
  • mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    My experience has been that unless the cards are listed in either the Beckett Annual Guide or the SCD, they will not grade them. Call customer service and ask.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

• << <i>Not sure but I once sent my sister in to PRO for graading and she came back graded "used"......

Just kidding. I would assume that if PSA has a holder, they would grade it. What size are the cards. Do you have one you can scan?
    Thanks,
    Bob >>

I'm telling your sister you said that. image

Standard sized cards. Look sorta like playing cards. The only thing that's hard to distinguish (I think) is the actual year of the card maybe. The seller stated it was from the 1979 version, but it doesn't specify this on the actual card.

• << <i>My experience has been that unless the cards are listed in either the Beckett Annual Guide or the SCD, they will not grade them. Call customer service and ask.

Kevin >>

Will do and will let everyone know. image Thanks.
  • He sure was a bad hitter.
    Hey thanks for the scan. They are pretty cool, just like these strat-o-matic cards.
    Bob

• No problemo. image And yeah, they do look similar.

I didn't have a chance to call PSA, but did shoot them a quick email. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

The card I have that I want to grade is supposedly a 1979 Rickey Henderson which would just be cool to have another pre-RC card. There is no year on these versions of the cards though. It looks like APBA eventually started putting copyright dates on them sometime in the early-mid 80's.
    It may be a lot of work, but I wonder if the year can be figured out by the coded numbers used on the card to play the game?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a bunch of vintage APBA's for my Killebrew collection about five years ago and found out that there are APBA fanatics out there!

I don't believe you can determine the year by the numbers on the cards, but there are people out there with detailed lists identifying what year the cards are.

Sorry, I don't have the information for other players, but could help with Killebrew's.

Joe

None of mine are graded, but I don't see why they couldn't be.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Well crap. Just got this back from PSA:

"These cards are not listed in any of the sports catalogs as being licensed cards. I also do not see that we have ever graded any of these in the past. At this time I am going to say we cannot grade these."

So they'll authenticate fake auto's but not grade legitimate cards. Haha. Nice. image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I purchased a bunch of vintage APBA's for my Killebrew collection about five years ago and found out that there are APBA fanatics out there!

I don't believe you can determine the year by the numbers on the cards, but there are people out there with detailed lists identifying what year the cards are.

Sorry, I don't have the information for other players, but could help with Killebrew's.

Joe

None of mine are graded, but I don't see why they couldn't be. >>

I used to play APBA years ago and there is a way to decode the year by one of the dice results (for the life of me, I can't remember it)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I guess I'm going to see if BGS or SGC grade them. Ugh. Everything I have is in PSA, but I really want my cards graded/encapsulated.

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Not sure about this, but I believe that APBA reprints a lot of the cards. This is one reason why PSA might decline grading them.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested in joining an APBA league PM me. We have an opening in my mail league. The web site is WPBL66.tripod.com. Check it out and if your interested LMK

Thanks
    Bobby
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe APBA reprints them and there are also something called "Master" sets that are either reprints or sets with more players in them. There are also "Original Franchise All-Stars" cards. I purchased a large group of cards directly from APBA in order to get a run of Killebrew cards before they were out of stock.

Too bad I completed my run quite some time ago or I would be able to get some better info.

I also am almost positive that ALL of the numbers on the cards were directly related to playing the game and you couldn't figure out a year simply by using the printed numbers. I suppose you could figure out a players best or worst years just by looking at the results of the most or least common results of rolling the die, but I am not that smart. The fellow I unearthed looked up the years for me from his master list.

But I could be wrong as I am not that smart.image

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure but I once sent my sister in to PRO for graading and she came back graded "used"......

Thanks,
    Bob >>

I'm telling your sister you said that. image

Standard sized cards. Look sorta like playing cards. The only thing that's hard to distinguish (I think) is the actual year of the card maybe. The seller stated it was from the 1979 version, but it doesn't specify this on the actual card.

image >>

The position of the #12 has always been the normal way to determine the player year ( + 1 for issue year ). This card came out in 1980 . I've been a huge APBA fan , as its an easy and somewhat accurate game to play. ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • >>

The position of the #12 has always been the normal way to determine the player year ( + 1 for issue year ). This card came out in 1980 . I've been a huge APBA fan , as its an easy and somewhat accurate game to play. ---- Sonny >>

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig Minetto sucked

just saying

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.