Home Precious Metals
Options

Watching CNBC? Yes, that was an earthquake.

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
They are in Flushing NY
I'm near DC

we both felt the buildings move

this lasted about 20 - 30 seconds

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    We live 3 hrs south of DC and we also shook for about 30 sec. I thought it was a big chopper overhead (near Norfolk). 48 years on the East Coast, my whole life, and first earthquake I've ever felt. No panic though.

We got Irene looking at us, possibly this weekend... image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Glad y'all are ok. Everything is peachy down in Ga.

The only earthquake I've ever felt was on my honeymoon in the N. Ga mountians in April of 2003. The TV was bouncing around on the nightstand, the pictures on the wall were shaking, etc. The bad part about it (and the honest to God truth) was that my wife slept through the whole thing. No joke.

Edited to add: You can imagine how many jokes came after that with my friends and family.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Kind of scary. I work on the 17th floor in NYC.
    Earthquake wasn't the first thought we had when the shaking started...
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    5.9 that's a mover

it would be a disaster beyond disaster's if the New Madrid did its overdue thingy.

a lot of what an EQ can do depends on what type of soil you are standing on or the building you are in is when the quake hits.

@nibanny

i was watching a year 2000 episode of L&O CI last night and saw them in all of their glory.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in my office chair, and the thing starts happening, and I'm focused on typing on the computer keyboard, the chair is wiggling a little bit in a semi-spiral motion, and I'm figuring the dam ball bearings in the chair are getting messed up in some way, didn't really think about it all that much.

I had no clue it was an earthquake until hearing about it.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 5.9, thats a pretty decent one, even by our California standards.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Connecticut and I thought my wife was behind me shaking my table and chair! First EQ ever for me. Is that what helped dump gold and silver today?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in Connecticut and I thought my wife was behind me shaking my table and chair! First EQ ever for me. Is that what helped dump gold and silver today? >>

I saw gold and silver be dumped well in advance of it.

there must have been a leak.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    First time I ever experienced one. Felt like a stampede of bulls rushing through our building. I'm sure a lot of east coasters had
    their first ever experience with an earthquake.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it would be a disaster beyond disaster's if the New Madrid did its overdue thingy.

I've felt the New Madrid before and didn't even know what it was until hearing about it on the news. A big one is not something any of us need.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've avoided the dry and sunny weather of California because of quakes.

But if we're going to have them here on the cold east coast, I might as well move west. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I'm about 40 miles SE of the epicenter and it sounded like a big truck grinding its gears. It felt like being in a big washing machine. A bunch of pots and pans fell off the shelves but that was about it. Since this is the 2nd one in 10 years I might be looking into EQ insurance on my homeowners.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if it had been a really big one...something that affected the DC area in a real way. A big Natural Disaster would could be the nail in the coffin. Thank God it wasn't. The Country needs to wake up and realize the proper order of things.
  • Options
    Maybe the president for once told the truth about something and because of that.....image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe the president for once told the truth about something and because of that.....image >>

No!!! The earthquake was the work of the Tea Party trying to make Obama look bad.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>5.9 that's a mover

. >>

I live about 75 miles from that thing. Scares me sometimes. I've felt about a half dozen in my life. Last one a few years ago. It was pretty neat. The whole house felt like it was on a boat in the ocean with a slow rocking motion for about 30 seconds. The window was open. You could a constant rumble outside. Once it quit it was really weird. That rumbling sound slowly got more and more quiet like it was traveling away from us.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>Imagine if it had been a really big one...something that affected the DC area in a real way. A big Natural Disaster would could be the nail in the coffin. Thank God it wasn't. The Country needs to wake up and realize the proper order of things. >>

You're exactly right if you were implying that we are putting nothing away for a big potential disaster which can strike in any form, either natural or man made, at any time. This wreckless government spending is occurring when we don't really have any major crisis situations at all, other than those "crisis" madeup by politicians basically and usually for their own benefit. We aren't even putting any money into our social security entitlement program.

I'm not sure there is a proper word yet in the English language to describe the way politicians are close to ruining our great country, and for no good or valid reason at all other than their self-serving purposes...but unfortunately, I think one day there will be that word added to the dictionary if things don't turn around very soon. Please vote in November 2012.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

pffft. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of scary. I work on the 17th floor in NYC.
    Earthquake wasn't the first thought we had when the shaking started... >>

Does your company's first letter of the first word start with P and the first letter of the last word start with H? Rather, it USED to...it's recently been renamed to a familiar nickname?

...I swear I'm not a freaky stalker.
  • Options
    my door bell chimed but onone was at the front door, I be in Portsmouth VA

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my door bell chimed but onone was at the front door, I be in Portsmouth VA

Herb >>

What causes this doorbell phenomena, it happens to me also?--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

<< <i>Kind of scary. I work on the 17th floor in NYC.
    Earthquake wasn't the first thought we had when the shaking started... >>

Does your company's first letter of the first word start with P and the first letter of the last word start with H? Rather, it USED to...it's recently been renamed to a familiar nickname?

...I swear I'm not a freaky stalker. >>

Sorry, I just saw your post.
    No, the initials are GA...and we make great suits! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>my door bell chimed but onone was at the front door, I be in Portsmouth VA

Herb >>

What causes this doorbell phenomena, it happens to me also?--------------BigE >>

typicallly, it has a metal "ringer" horizontally mounted and moved magnetically with a solenoid-spring combination.

in an earthquake, the shaking action can get the thing moving on its own.