Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

re-grading SGC cards

I have a rare 1950's card that is graded by SGC. I am thinking about sending it in to PSA and have them grade it. Has anyone else done this, if so what was the result? Or is this thinking stupid, and a waste of money! Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    No problem getting this done -- I want all my cards in PSA holders and have done it many times.

In my experience, the grading standards are very similar with the exception of pre-war where SGC seems a little more liberal with paper loss, stains, etc. IMO, lots of SGC 20s/30s would end up in PSA 1 or PSA Authentic if they went to PSA.

Some folks like to crack and resubmit and others use a "crossover" submission -- each has its pros and cons.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Scott

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the boards...

As far as crossing over a card from SGC to PSA, I believe Scott's assessment to be spot on.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

You win some, you lose some, and sometimes you break even.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    if it's under $500, crack and sub
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    What Vlad said.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Welcome to the Jungle. The CU members here are a great group and have an amazing wealth of knowledge that they enjoy providing upon request.

You win some, you lose some, and sometimes you break even.

Currently I am on the break even side. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    You will have good and bad results going either way. It all depends on the qualities of the card inside the holder. Post a good quality scan of the card and you will get opinions on the likelihood of a successful crossover. Centering will often be an obstacle for going straight from SGC to PSA.
  • Options
    Im wondering if this would cross over to a 7.5
    (the speck under the E in GEORGE is from the scan only)

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Bottom left corner has a lot going on. The "Rothman Collection", seriously? That was the best he could find.
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some folks like to crack and resubmit and others use a "crossover" submission -- each has its pros and cons. >>

Could you explain the pros and cons of each? Thanks.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some folks like to crack and resubmit and others use a "crossover" submission -- each has its pros and cons. >>

Could you explain the pros and cons of each? Thanks. >>

Crack & Submit:
    Pros --> Unbiased review by PSA, easier to examine card (corners, surface, etc.) out of the holder.
    Cons --> Card may not receive same grade as it did in the SGC holder or may not even grade (EOT)

Crossover:
    Pros --> Card remains at least whatever grade is has in the SGC holder, will not be damaged or returned EOT
    Cons --> Some believe that PSA is biased against cards already graded and will not assign a higher grade (or sometimes even the same grade), also it may be harder to examine the card in detail without removing it from the holder.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bottom left corner has a lot going on. The "Rothman Collection", seriously? That was the best he could find. >>

LOL that's what I was thinking. Personalized holder for a PSA 7
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Thruthfully I have lots of respect for SCC however they may have been a bit generous on this card because too much white shows on the bottom of the card.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Also, before you do that, make sure it is a card that PSA grades. There are some cards (for example, football exhibits from the 50's) that SGC grades, but PSA does not. If you crack one of those out and send it to PSA all you will get back is an ungraded card.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.