Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980s Tiffany/Glossy rookies starting to get their due?

Seeing anything in baseball from the 1980s with upward + signs in the SMR is unusual, to say the least. So it was pretty noteworthy to see nearly every Tiffany/Glossy rookie from 1984 to 1991 with those + signs in the new SMR. I have been noting in several threads recently that these cards are harder to find than most rookie cards dating back to the 1950s, and thus are very undervalued. The card companies kept the production numbers close to the number of orders placed in each year, which generally ranged from 3000 to 15,000 in most cases.

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have a run of these sets from 84 to 91 plus the traded sets. I also have the two Tiffany sets that Topps put out in 2000, 2001 and 2002. They do not appear in the SCD Big Book
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    It's not easy to find PSA 9 rc's at decent prices
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    You are correct about that. And go to any local show and you'll find several guys with showcases full of 1960s and 1970s rookies and stars, but you are unlikely to find even one dealer whose has any 1980s Tiffany cards in raw or graded form.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    I think they've always been in demand; it's just a lack of big star appeal and the PED era that has hurt that entire era. The 85 Tiffany Mark McGwire got up to at least $600-800 in PSA 9 at one point and maybe even higher. Same is true for the 86 Tiffany Traded Barry Bonds in PSA 9. The 89 Bowman Tiffany Griffey was up in the $500 range at one point, again in PSA 9. The 90 Bowman Tiffany Sosa was also pretty hot for a while; and from what I remember hitting at least $300 in PSA 9. BTW all price ranges I'm referring to are acutal ebay auctions, not SMR or any price guide.

But after that, who do yo have? Mostly second tier stars; Chipper Jones, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Roberto Alomar, Randy Johnson; all HOF worthy type players but by no means mega stars like the previoulsy mentioned players. The one guy who stands out the most to me is Greg Maddux (87 Traded Tiffany). His numbers stack up with the best of the best, but he's never had that super star following, and thus his cards remain relatively low in value.
  • Options
    There is plenty of great star power, without any link whatsoever to PEDs. Randy Johnson ranks among the top 10 pitchers in the history of the game. And Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey are up in there in the top 20 to 25 all-time among hitters.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Don't disagree with you on the career accomplishments of those players, but it's a popularity contest. Look at Nolan Ryan; on any given day he could be the most dominate pitcher ever; but more often he was just good. And he certainly doesn't rank as a top 10 pitcher of all time; yet he's one ofthe most popular pitchers in the hobby. Joe Namath is another example of a guy who didn't have the best stats but was marketed into a super star. The guys you mentioned don't have that pizaz other than Griffey.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I think your confusing star power with dollar power wallst. 80s tiffany is loaded with star rcs.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    I am sorry that Babe Ruth's rookie card does not fall within this 7 year period from 1984 to 1991.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    i've never been a fan of cards that were only sold in complete sets... especially for graded collectibles.