Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Printing Errors - 2011 Topps Lineage

Anyone here up on printing errors on baseball cards. I was opening a case on 2011 Topps Lineage and one of the boxes I ran across these cards with a double printing where they put on the foil (or whatever it is). This only occured in one box in the case and in all of the packs, the first 3 or 4 cards in th epack would be fine then you get to the relic and then the final 3 or 4 cards would be double printed. I ended up with about 51 of these cards and I don't think more than 1 of any of them so i figure it was a mistake on just one sheet. The questions I have, is htis jsut considered a messed up card that no one would want or is it of interest to some collectors? I would think you would have to have multiple sheets get messed up like this before people would consider a collectable item from the set. But then I know people in coin collectables look for this kind of thing (and yes I know coins are alot different than cards). I have attached a scan of a few of the cards. Any comments and opinions are appreciated especially from someone that understands the printing process and how this happens. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
60's OPC packs
72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
72 and earlier BB cello

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, foil errors are very common and are actually "post-printing" errors. A true printing error occurs when ink from the black, cyan, magenta, or yellow plates is somehow obscured, added, absent, or interrupted during transfer of the ink from the rubber matting to the cardstock.

As such, collectors typically view foil errors as novelties more so than collectibles. Print error collectors tend to look for repeatable ink errors, especially those caused by human error (typesetting, etc).

Player collectors who collect variations tend to be the biggest market for these kinds of cards; I collect Frank Thomas cards with foil errors. That said, I've never paid more than a buck or two.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I had a bunch of cards like this too. Only on base cards. Thought about calling Topps to complain and see if they'd sent me a free blaster or something. I'll let you know how it goes.
    A SWING AND A DRIVE!

For Sale on eBay
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input. It didn't seem like this would be something that wanted by others.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the input. It didn't seem like this would be something that wanted by others.

Jim >>

I would try to ebay them. As noted, they are not really worth anything, but player collectors like them. You can likly get $2-3 plus shipping for most big names....more then non-errors as worth.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.