Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Jeff Kent a Hall Of Famer?

TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
A very solid career at his position and a big run producer. Doesn't get talked about much as far as the HOF goes. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    He's usually referred to as "Future Hall of Famer" around these parts.

He's in. If he was an outfielder, maybe not, but the fact that he was a 2nd baseman with serious pop for over a decade without totally eating his own glove at 2nd, he'll get the "One of the best offensive 2nd baseman of all time" treatment come election day.

Even though he played with Bonds, Kent's name never came up in any steroid talk.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    yes for sure

An MVP along with good glove and maybe the best offensive numbers (inc power) of any recent 2nd baseman
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I think he's in for sure. He had great power numbers (I won't cite any, because I don't want the Sabre gang to yell at me), which is rare for 2B. He was best at his position for quite a stretch.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    How surley was that locker room with Bonds and Kent together.
  • Options

<< <i>How surley was that locker room with Bonds and Kent together. >>

Remember this?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who shoves Bonds in the dugout automatically gets my vote...

1st ballot..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I like how Bonds tries to do a "Darth Vader" on Kent's throat. Classic roid rage.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how much bigger Barry's head is than the people closer to the camera.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOF'er, 1st ballot. 377 HRs and 1500+ RBI at 2B? 5-time All-Star, won an MVP, 8 seasons of 100+ RBI. Really a no-brainer.

Tabe
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think he should get in.

his glove wasn't a liability and he had some clutch hitting @ SF during the Bonds era

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who shoves Bonds in the dugout automatically gets my vote...

1st ballot.. >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I completely forgot he was a MET!!!!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely forgot he was a MET!!!!

Don't remind me...we got the infamous Carlos Baerga in return, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    HOF? Jeff Kent? My calendar doesn't read April 1....WTF is going on here?
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Most of his numbers are better than Ryne Sandberg's. I think he is in.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He may have big problems getting in. This is the question??? Is he liked by anyone on the planet? The writers will most definately hold that against him...maybe not forever; but they will make him wait awhile.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He may have big problems getting in. This is the question??? Is he liked by anyone on the planet? The writers will most definately hold that against him...maybe not forever; but they will make him wait awhile. >>

that's a good thought.

• Options

<< <i>He may have big problems getting in. This is the question??? Is he liked by anyone on the planet? The writers will most definately hold that against him...maybe not forever; but they will make him wait awhile. >>

Eh, the writers didn't like Steve Carlton or Eddie Murray either - and they got in without issue.

Tabe
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Boy I think he was a great player, but his induction is not automatic.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>HOF'er, 1st ballot. 377 HRs and 1500+ RBI at 2B? 5-time All-Star, won an MVP, 8 seasons of 100+ RBI. Really a no-brainer.

Tabe >>

I was one of the first here to say I thought he'd be in. I still think that. However, the stats provided above are not a compelling reason for inclusion. There have been others (I won't name names for fear of waking the Sabre monsters) with far greater stats (more HR, more RBIs, more MVP awards) who are still on the outside looking in....
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>I was one of the first here to say I thought he'd be in. I still think that. However, the stats provided above are not a compelling reason for inclusion. There have been others (I won't name names for fear of waking the Sabre monsters) with far greater stats (more HR, more RBIs, more MVP awards) who are still on the outside looking in.... >>

Writers tend to love the "best numbers for a guy at his position" part.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He also played right in the middle of the whole steroid era. He's not a slam dunk by any means. There have been hardly any positive tests and most have not gotten enshrined. I just think he's going to wait awhile.
  • Options

<< <i>There have been others (I won't name names for fear of waking the Sabre monsters) with far greater stats (more HR, more RBIs, more MVP awards) who are still on the outside looking in.... >>

Not at 2B there haven't.

Tabe
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I could see him being questioned for possible roid use. Not saying he did but saying I could see there be questions. Plus he was a lying jerk so I'd vote no. image
  • Options
    jwgatorsjwgators Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I see him going in. Maybe not first ballot, but he should be in.

His most similar batters are Dave Parker, Jim Rice and Chipper Jones. Meanwhile he played second base. To me that says a lot about his production as a middle infielder.
    Joel
  • Options

<< <i>I see him going in. Maybe not first ballot, but he should be in.

His most similar batters are Dave Parker, Jim Rice and Chipper Jones. Meanwhile he played second base. To me that says a lot about his production as a middle infielder. >>

Well, Chipper is a lock HOF'er, Rice is a HOF'er (though I'd have kept him out) and Parker could easily be one. And Kent played a more demanding defensive position than any of them. Like I said before, he's a no-brainer HOF'er to me.

Tabe