Home Sports Talk

Chinese basketball is a joke

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
But we already knew this. The real eye opener from the Chinese professional team's game vs. Georgetown University is that the Chinese fans are a joke too. Not only did the fans run on to the court to join in the fight, but those who stayed in the stands found it appropriate to throw drinks and trash at the Gtown players AND family members as they tried to exit the arena. Great job fostering "goodwill" with the international community.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the Chinese team is one which is owned, controlled and/or backed by the Chinese Military.

Some blogs and alternative media reports have suggested that the Chinese players are instructed to be especially aggressive and combative.

Part of the China will replace/has replaced the USA as the world's superpower mentality.

I guess the Georgetown players could just respond to whatever is said or done to them by pointing at the final score on the scoreboard.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My understanding is that the Chinese team is one which is owned, controlled and/or backed by the Chinese Military.

Some blogs and alternative media reports have suggested that the Chinese players are instructed to be especially aggressive and combative.

Part of the China will replace/has replaced the USA as the world's superpower mentality.

I guess the Georgetown players could just respond to whatever is said or done to them by pointing at the final score on the scoreboard. >>

The score was tied at 64 when the Chinese team and fans went bonkers.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    link

Georgetown as a sympathetic character, times have changed.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I can just imagine if they were touring the US and got into a fight with Georgetown. The negative publicity would be all over ESPN and talk shows.
  • Can we hold the Goodwill trip/game(s) at Rucker next year? Let’s see how many Chinese players and fans want to get aggressive then.
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Maybe they should schedule a game between the Chinese team and a WNBA team. Talk about an useless game. Besides that the WNBA players would probably put a good whup a$$ on the Chinese team.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    The first time I watched the video it struck me that the Chinese Team (Bayi Rockets, one of 17 teams in the CBA, who had a 17-15 record this season) were wanting the fight and when they hit the floor (looked like Georgetown was very out numbered) they were throwing/stomping/kicking etc... which Georgetown was not ready for/ used to.

So I looked more into the game and it appears that Georgetown was putting the boots to them all game (the first game they played apparently went off okay, lol) and this was the boiling point, not saying it's right, it was disrespectful (primarily by the Chinese team) in many ways. The Chinese team had shot 57 free throws (US 15 free throws) in like three quarters and the game was tied when the brawl happened... so it wasn't out of frustration of being blown out or anything. The international game much like hockey is more of a finesse game and less aggressive than here. This was obviously the case in this game, 57 free throws? I would be upset too if I wasn't used to that style of play.

Of note Wang Zhizhi (first Chinese player drafted to the NBA, and played 3 teams) plays for Bayi, how could they not have been winning with that stud playing for them?

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first time I watched the video it struck me that the Chinese Team (Bayi Rockets, one of 17 teams in the CBA, who had a 17-15 record this season) were wanting the fight and when they hit the floor (looked like Georgetown was very out numbered) they were throwing/stomping/kicking etc... which Georgetown was not ready for/ used to.

So I looked more into the game and it appears that Georgetown was putting the boots to them all game (the first game they played apparently went off okay, lol) and this was the boiling point, not saying it's right, it was disrespectful (primarily by the Chinese team) in many ways. The Chinese team had shot 57 free throws (US 15 free throws) in like three quarters and the game was tied when the brawl happened... so it wasn't out of frustration of being blown out or anything. The international game much like hockey is more of a finesse game and less aggressive than here. This was obviously the case in this game, 57 free throws? I would be upset too if I wasn't used to that style of play.

Of note Wang Zhizhi (first Chinese player drafted to the NBA, and played 3 teams) plays for Bayi, how could they not have been winning with that stud playing for them? >>

I think you're misreading the free throw stats. Its not that Georgetown was committing more fouls and certainly were not playing too aggresively, its that the homer Chinese referrees were calling a 1-sided game. The SAME exact thing happened to all the US college teams who played exhibition games in China this year. Go look up the stats on the Duke games in China....totally 1-sided calls there as well.