Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is the PSA "OC" Qualifier dead?

During the last two months I have received back about 300 cards from PSA with none having the “OC” qualifier. In the past, it always seemed I would receive a few here and there.

I never write “no qualifiers” across the invoice, and on some of the cards I have received back, they are 7’s and when I have inspected the card(s) closely it appears that the only thing that would lower the grade to a 7, would be the borderline centering. Has anyone else noticed this with there submittals to PSA? Has anyone heard if PSA is doing away with the OC qualifier?

Thanks,
Mark
Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi

Comments

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    TREE - My last batch had one in there. Sorry to say they are alive and well....jay
  • Options
    bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that PSA will grade a card one grade lower without an OC qualifier if it meets that grade's centering specs. They will grade a card a straight 7 before an 8OC in other words. Now if the centering would knock it down to a 6 or less then the card would get an 8OC.
  • Options
    treetop, yes, I too received a 9 oc on my last submission a couple of weeks back
    Looking for Gerard Warren, Dallas Cowboy GUAutos, 1968 Baseball PSA 8 or higher
    1993 Bowman PSA 8 or higher
    1981 Topps Baseball PSA 8 or higher
  • Options
    Much as I hate to admit it, I've been tagged with a couple of O/C's.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    It seems to me that I'm getting fewer o-c's too. I wish they would do away with it. Just grade down if necessary. These days, unless it's an older, or very valuable card, any card with the o-c designation is rendered almost worthless. I sold a 1981 Donruss Jack Nicklaus PSA 9 for $113 recently. The next week I sold a PSA 9 oc and it went for the minimum bid of 9.95. That is ridiculous.
    I was surprised by their two-grade deduction on the registry. I think it will really cut down on the number of cards submitted. I know centering is important, but I feel like they've gone too far.
    1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I think that there has been a shift in philosphy overall at PSA on the OC. I used to get a bunch of PSA 9OC a year or more ago. I started writing "No Qualifiers" across the invoices and I found that I got a lot more 8's and couple more 7's. But, I haven't written anything on the invoices lately.

So, I'm guessing that most of the graders are making the assumption on their own, or PSA management is directing them to do it. Most people don't want the qualifiers. If a 9OC could just as easily be an 8 - give the 8. But, if the centering is so bad that it would wind up a 6, then give it the 9OC.

Just my theory...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Have you ever noticed that there's no "10 oc"
    1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    per the original post, no oc's period from PSA, but I did received my first gem mint 10oc from zardoz51 grading last week.....

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Guffy:

There is no such thing as a qualifed PSA 10 card. An oxymoron if you will...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    isn't the main arguement against qualifiers like OC
    is that it is ALWAYS an oxymoron?

like a 9OC is not a mint card... but Would be, IF it were centered....

you know?

so what is the difference if a card is Gem in every aspect except centering is OC why not 10 OC?

makes as much sense as 6 7 8 or 9 OC
    imageimage
  • Options
    Treetop

You got the o/c qualifier on the card (and it is a very nice card!) because you forgot to attach a $20 bill to the cardsaver. You stick us, we'll stick you! Next time, you wont forget to attach that money, and we will overlook any centering issues.

Big Kid

A 9o/c that was well centered would still be a 9. A mint card is a mint card. There can be absolutely no "iffy" centering questions in regard to a 10. It must fall into the stipulated guidelines.

that is, except at ZAG, where the extra $20 must be included.image
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Thanks for the input guys, but I just had an invoice posted with my first OC of the year.....a PSA 9 1972 football, Mike Garrett...........PSA must have read this thread and wanted to clarify it for me..image