Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction

Does this look ok? Mantle PSA 9
PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    Looks a little too off center for the grade (supposed to be 60/40 or better on a 9) and I hate when people don't include a scan of the back, especially on a $1,000+ card, but nothing about the auction leads me to believe that it's a scam.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1805 N Carson St Suite 163 Carson City, NV 89701

I'm not saying it's a scam - I didn't analyze it one way or the other. But this address does appear to be a "mail box depot" - like a UPS drop box site...and that always worries me when buying expensive products - in fact for me, I wouldn't do it.

However in all fairness to the seller, he did not have to list the address in the auction.
  • Options

<< <i>1805 N Carson St Suite 163 Carson City, NV 89701

I'm not saying it's a scam - I didn't analyze it one way or the other. But this address does appear to be a "mail box depot" - like a UPS drop box site...and that always worries me when buying expensive products - in fact for me, I wouldn't do it.

However in all fairness to the seller, he did not have to list the address in the auction. >>

Many legit businesses use a PO box or a mailbox inside a shipping place. He probably doesn't have an office and doesn't want to put his home address out there for all to see. We're talking about an ebay seller here, so the address doesn't surprise or alarm me at all. Dude has 100% positive feedback with over 1500 transactions, and you're nitpicking his address? Okay...
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    serial number font = WRONG!!!!!!!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    aw geez, this is another friggin joke....his 1970 Clemente PSA 9 is a stolen scan and his 1972 Clemente PSA 9 is LEVI'S SCAN!! image

RUN. LIKE. THE. WIND.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Plus it's a recycled scan, because ebay no longer uses that camera watermark at the bottom right of the photo.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1805 N Carson St Suite 163 Carson City, NV 89701

However in all fairness to the seller, he did not have to list the address in the auction. >>

Many legit businesses use a PO box or a mailbox inside a shipping place. He probably doesn't have an office and doesn't want to put his home address out there for all to see. We're talking about an ebay seller here, so the address doesn't surprise or alarm me at all. Dude has 100% positive feedback with over 1500 transactions, and you're nitpicking his address? Okay... >>

When it comes to my money, I will nitpick all I want. image

I understand the reason, but for me, if a seller is not willing to list his home or business address on a deal involving an expensive card, whereby if all else goes wrong with the deal, I could then at least drag his arse into small claims court, then I simply won't do the deal.

Besides...there have been numerous, and I do mean numerous examples of ebay sellers who appeared to be solid, and then setup scam auctions. Yes, I agree his track record does look good...but on ebay, ya can't be too careful in my viewpoint.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Heh, their seller feedback shows lots of postives on some higher dollar high grade cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Heh, their seller feedback shows lots of postives on some higher dollar high grade cards. >>

That's what I was looking at, and then I looked at his other items and saw scans on all types of different backgrounds, which is never a good sign.
  • Options

<< <i>Flip font is wrong. Centering on front is even beyond the tolerances for a PSA 9 back.

Do not buy. >>

Nah, that card is much better than 90/10, but it is out of tolerance for a PSA 9 front.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>aw geez, this is another friggin joke....his 1970 Clemente PSA 9 is a stolen scan and his 1972 Clemente PSA 9 is LEVI'S SCAN!! image

RUN. LIKE. THE. WIND. >>

Geez, I'm just now learning what to look for in PSA flips to spot fakes now have to worry about stolen scans. Is there anything in particular that gives something away as being a stolen scan or just that you have seen it before like the 72?

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    The Mantle looks like 67/33 or 70/30 L/R centering , I would wait for a better centered one, if it was mine it would be a PSA 9 (OC) but that is my luck.

stolen scans = yes. lazy seller maybe, to lazy to take new pics or new scans of the card.
    scam = maybe/likely or a hijacked account?

I would still bid, but use a credit card to protect myself. jmho

Some lazy sellers just use ebay's past pictures & scans for items.
    I know when selling say a HP ink cartridge , I just use a stock photo or when selling a box of 1988 topps baseball (have 10 bxs ) use same pic for all 10 bxs. but these are 3 to 20 dollar generic items.

but never a stock photo for a 500 to 1000 dollar card. plus show the front & back of the card.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>aw geez, this is another friggin joke....his 1970 Clemente PSA 9 is a stolen scan and his 1972 Clemente PSA 9 is LEVI'S SCAN!! image

RUN. LIKE. THE. WIND. >>

Geez, I'm just now learning what to look for in PSA flips to spot fakes now have to worry about stolen scans. Is there anything in particular that gives something away as being a stolen scan or just that you have seen it before like the 72?

Jim >>

The fact that he has scans on all different types of backgrounds with all different types of crops helps. Also, sometimes these losers will steal scans from someone like 707 and try to blur out or paint over their watermark. Look closely at the scans and you can easily spot this.