Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS: Delivery status not updated.

I sold an item on Ebay and sent to package Priority mail, insured and signature confirmation. I mailed it out on August 7th and I still get the same message:

Delivery status not updated, Aug-10-11, 23:25 PM
Out for Delivery, Aug-10-11, 09:25 AM, MINNEAPOLIS, MN, 55448

The buyer has not left any feedback, so I dont know if they received it and USPS is just running behind OR they have yet to receive the item. If I reach out to the buyer to inquire, whats stopping him/her to say they never received the item even if they did? In which case I would issue a refund and they would still have the item AND a refund.
What do you guys think should be my next move? Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was addressed to a P.O. Box, it could be that the notice was left, and the box holder has been away since 8/10. Why not just call the 800 Postal Service info number and request that they give you the phone number of the branch that it was to be delivered through? Talk directly to the branch manager/postmaster with your concern. You have a numbered article for easy reference to.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    It may have been delivered without being signed for, so I'd assume that unless the buyer writes you. If it is lost instead, and the buyer complains, you're covered, and PayPal would reimburse him. If you can't stand the suspense, have your local Post Office check ir for you on their (non-public) Intranet.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    It's not likely an insured package was delivered without a signature or scanning the package. More likely no one was available to sign for the package at the buyers address and the carrier left a notice without scanning the package to update the status. Locate the Post Office that delivers to the buyers zip code and tell them you shipped a package to XXXXX zip code and ask them to check if the package is available for pickup at that location, they will ask you for the tracking number and let you know if the package is there. You can get the phone number for the buyers local Post Office at usps.com and the click on on 'find locations' on the left.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold an item on Ebay and sent to package Priority mail, insured and signature confirmation. I mailed it out on August 7th and I still get the same message:

Delivery status not updated, Aug-10-11, 23:25 PM
    Out for Delivery, Aug-10-11, 09:25 AM, MINNEAPOLIS, MN, 55448

The buyer has not left any feedback, so I dont know if they received it and USPS is just running behind OR they have yet to receive the item. If I reach out to the buyer to inquire, whats stopping him/her to say they never received the item even if they did? In which case I would issue a refund and they would still have the item AND a refund.
    What do you guys think should be my next move? Thanks in advance!

Chaz >>

I had this happen to me on a package coming to me.

I anxiously awaited the mailman, but somehow the guy never attempted to knock or ring the bell.

He left no notice in the box.

Later that night it said:
    Delivery status not updated, Aug-xx-11, 23:25 PM

And I was a bit peeved because I needed to shoot photos and getting them the next day meant a rush job.

It was delvered the next day. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. I just checked and the package was not sent to a PO box. I think I will see what happens thru the weekend and then take action early next week.
    Thanks again!
    Chaz

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do nothing. If buyer didn't/doesn't get package you will hear from him. If you hear from him that he didn't get it then your postal insurance will kick in.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    I have the same problem, with the same date (by chance)?!
    Sent a mail through the eBay system to the buyer, who reported that he received the items, and that everything is okay...
    Not to worry.

p.s. No wonder the USPS can't get it together. Even their automated systems are breaking down... image

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options

You are checking the USPS web site aren't you? I have checeked eBay
    status window before and it does not show the real deal about tracking.
  • Options

<< <i>You are checking the USPS web site aren't you? I have checeked eBay
    status window before and it does not show the real deal about tracking. >>

Yes. I have checked thru Ebay as well as the USPS site. Both have the same info.
    Chaz

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I've had a lot of trouble with Sig Conf being ignored by USPS. I would assume the buyer has it until you hear otherwise.
  • Options
    My friend who delivers mail (mine included) stated that USPS has dictated more in transit tracking scans in order to compete with UPS/FEDEX superb on line tracking feature. He stated that research shows this to be a major reason shippers choose someone over USPS.

• Options

<< <i>I've had a lot of trouble with Sig Conf being ignored by USPS. I would assume the buyer has it until you hear otherwise. >>

I was told my my local postal supervisor that when you use on-line postage to print lables that do not show the purchased sig. conf., since you paid for sig. conf., that you are free to cut the end off the pink sig. conf. lable (the end that says "signature confirmation") and affix it to your self printed lable. He says this flags the signature requirement for the delivering mailman. I have been doing it for a couple of years now.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I recommend doing what I do: never look at tracking or my feedback unless I get a question from the buyer. You have created unnecessary stress for yourself. Go back to what you were doing before you noticed this. --jerry
  • Options
    I find it helps to keep an eye on my registered shipments. Although I have already messaged the buyer that registered is going to be slow, if it is taking what appears to be longer than normal (10 days in most cases) I communicate with the buyer that I too am closely monitoring the shipment and am concerned that he gets it. I find this puts buyers at ease during the "wait" period.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Most of my registered packages are simply listed as when dropped off at the post office, and then when they are delivered. Sometimes there are extras, but they are of little use. The expected delivery date is useless, often still listed days before the actual delivery date. Too bad the USPS can't do a better job on this.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    There does seem to be a problem with the USPS tracking online.I sent 3 items last week and had 3 people all asking me where is my item and the tracking showing nothing which really unsettled the buyers.One in Reno , one in Miami and one in Louisiana , all had the same concern.Not only was the tracking useless every item was late and took closer to 8 days rather than the 4 promised by the USPS and by default me.
    Luckily for me these were decent people who were patient and gave me the benefit of any doubts and it all concluded happily...er..almost , i'm not particularly happy with the USPS.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    the end off the pink sig. conf. lable (the end that says "signature confirmation") and affix it to your self printed lable

Thank you I'll give that a shot!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There does seem to be a problem with the USPS tracking online.I sent 3 items last week and had 3 people all asking me where is my item and the tracking showing nothing which really unsettled the buyers.One in Reno , one in Miami and one in Louisiana , all had the same concern.Not only was the tracking useless every item was late and took closer to 8 days rather than the 4 promised by the USPS and by default me.
    Luckily for me these were decent people who were patient and gave me the benefit of any doubts and it all concluded happily...er..almost , i'm not particularly happy with the USPS. >>

that happened to me once recently.

later packages got scanned after "drop off" and were not late.

just in case they are experimenting with scanning less to save money, I called in to complain.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Unless one is shipping Express Mail, tracking is not a service offered by the post office.

Delivery Confirmation:

"Delivery Confirmation only provides you with a Confirmation of the delivery date and time once the article has been delivered to the addressee's Post Office; it does not provide for any tracking through the mail stream."

Signature Confirmation:

"What will I receive?

It does not provide Tracking or Tracing of mail items."

Registered Mail:

"Delivery information will provide delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination, it will not provide tracking of the item as it is enroute to its destination."

Sometimes, one gets tracking anyway, sometimes not. Not getting it seems like something one shouldn't be complaining about, though, since the post office specifically says it's not an included feature of DC/SC/Registered Mail.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless one is shipping Express Mail, tracking is not a service offered by the post office.

Delivery Confirmation:

"Delivery Confirmation only provides you with a Confirmation of the delivery date and time once the article has been delivered to the addressee's Post Office; it does not provide for any tracking through the mail stream."

Signature Confirmation:

"What will I receive?

It does not provide Tracking or Tracing of mail items."

Registered Mail:

"Delivery information will provide delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination, it will not provide tracking of the item as it is enroute to its destination."

Sometimes, one gets tracking anyway, sometimes not. Not getting it seems like something one shouldn't be complaining about, though, since the post office specifically says it's not an included feature of DC/SC/Registered Mail. >>

Yeah, the only problem with that logic is they play it up all of the time, in order to give the illusion that they can actually compete with UPS or FEDEX.
    If it is not at least a implied feature, why have it at all? And, when it is broken (online tracking I mean) why make excuses, or fall back on some BS policy
    regulation. Either you offer the service, or you don't.

John
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, the only problem with that logic is they play it up all of the time, in order to give the illusion that they can actually compete with UPS or FEDEX. >>

Not in their defense, but there are lots of things USPS clerks tell people that really isn't so. Of course they shouldn't claim to provide a service they don't. I have never heard the clerks at the post offices I've used tell anybody that DC/SC provides tracking- only confirmation of delivery- but I'm sure there are those who do.

edited to add... anybody who ships regularly would be well served by checking the DMM to be sure the things they're told by the clerks at their post office are actually so.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like when I can see info like this.

Delivered, Aug-17-11, 12:50 PM, DAYTON, OR, 97114
    OUT FOR DELIVERY, Aug-17-11, 07:22 AM, DAYTON, OR, 97114
    SORTING/PROCESS COMPLETE, Aug-17-11, 07:12 AM, DAYTON, OR, 97114
    Arrival at Unit, Aug-17-11, 06:32 AM, DAYTON, OR, 97114
    Enroute, Aug-16-11, 16:49 PM, PORTLAND, OR, 97208
    Enroute, Aug-15-11, 18:32 PM, KENT, WA, 98032
    Manifest Ack, Aug-13-11, 18:43 PM, YELM, WA, 98597

Sometimes they just do it......
  • Options

<< <i>I like when I can see info like this. >>

It would be great if that happened for everybody's shipments. It doesn't. Hoping it will won't make it a reality. Best to just accept it as a fortunate bonus, and get on with things.
  • Options
    Does it really matter where it is other than where it is supposed to be?

• Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    Not to beat a dead horse, but this is USPS' own language in shipping emails:
    Your package from (BLANK) is on its way. You can track it online using this tracking number.
    Now, I don't know about you, but the above implies that you can track the shipment. In addition,
    you can get an email when the shipping status is updated. What does tracking mean? To me, it
    means that you can see where it has been processed through, so that you can have a ball-park
    idea of when it will arrive.

If tracking "status" is not intended, why not just indicate when it was shipped and when it was delivered?

All of this is not that important in the whole scheme of things - the main point I am trying to make is
    that the online tracking is basically worthless, i.e. it does not do in practice what it is supposed to do.

John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file