Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 67 Topps set is finished.

I've learned over the years I'm really not a good set builder. I get too unfocused, feel the need to work on other projects, & can't stick with it. Completing this 67 set was a major project for me.

After the National I was down to 4 cards, & I found them tonight on the Bay. There are a couple cards I need to upgrade, but for now I'm just glad it's done. Jim King, #509 was the final card. Found a nice PSA 9 & snagged it.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. How long did it take to comlete this project?image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Ron.

I've had my 67 set as a project for over a year now, and its still 20 cards shy i think...but i haven't even touched it in 6 months....losing focus...and hating to spend the big dough on the brooks and seaver (but have the carew). Its not much fun spending $40-50 on a hi# short print common like mike shannon either!

-jp
  • Options
    Congrats...One of my favorite sets
  • Options
    pm sent
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Ron congrats on the set I'm closing in on the finish line myself..
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well it only seems fair that in celebrating the passing of Elvis, your final quest was for the King. image
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Took two years, which is not bad for me. Acquired a great partial set & with time and patience went from there. It is a solid NM-MT set.

Key cards: PSA 8 - Ford, Cepeda, Frank Robinson, Mantle, Mays, Clemente, McCovey, Carew RC, Shannon, Red Sox Team, Carlton, Gibson, Banks, Aaron, Rose, Palmer (8.5), Perez, Cash, Belanger, Bunning, Colavito, Wills, etc

PSA 9 - Yaz, Killebrew, Seaver RC. Brooks is a nice 7, he will be upgraded.

Special thanks to backbidder for helping me with some of the highs, and to some good guys who will remain unnamed. You know who you are.

Now its on to the 66's. Down to 43 cards there!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Tom ... my favorite set. Back in the 80s I went from show to show, EVERY friggin Saturday and Sunday, buying many of those cards one at a time, until I completed the set. (Obviously in raw form.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Great!! The Colavito graded 5, 6, or 7 and close to SMR is giving me fits as I upgrade my set. 1966 Topps will be tough with the high numbers, too. I'm sure you know that.

David B. (judgebuck)

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!image

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Ron,
    Congrats on the awesome high-grade set!!! Can you post some scans or upload a short video of your set???
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    How are you storing/displaying this wonderful beast?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Congrats on a fantastic accomplishment. Would love to see some scans of those beauties.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    I'll definitely throw up some scans.....the great part about building this set is that I've been able to buy a couple lower grade sets & get a feel for what they go for.....highs are good in any grade!
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Ron,

Congratulations on completing your '67 set!!!!! I know how it is to stay focused; working on three or four sets at a time is not easy ... or cheap image. I am down to 30 cards on my 1991 Topps Desert Shield set; commons are a pain in the butt; especially the low pop ones. Good luck on your '66 set. BTW, can't wait to see the scans.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finishing the '67 set... image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Congrats! I'm envious....

I'm struggling to complete two sets myself (1956 Topps and 1975 Topps Mini). Only need 10 minis and 34 from the '56 set.

It's always exciting to hear about someone actually completing an old set.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a dynamite set. Looking forward to scans...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Congrats, Ron!

The '67 is a great set.

I'm still one card short on my '68 (The Ryan RC). I know you really helped me out on getting my '57 started. I appreciate it!

John
    1957: PSA 8 +
    1974: PSA 8 +
    1975-1979: PSA 9+
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Congrats T, I know how hard it is to complete a set 20% the size of the 67 set. I can not imagine completing a set this large. Very nice! When your ready for am couple case to house the set, Let me know image
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can not imagine completing a set this large. >>

Me either Matt! I admire people who have the patience to do it. For me, 66 cards or less!!
  • Options
    Congrats image
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done, let's see 'em!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I'm going to try and post some scans of my set today. I just received the last few cards in the mail.

On to the '66 set......need 40 cards!
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    congrats. This is one of my favorite sets and I've probably bought, built, and sold this set more than any other.