Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whaddya think of this 55 Bowman Mantle? Opinions welcome!

I was recently selling a large amount of baseball cards on the BST board a few weeks ago. Now the same guy brings me even "more" to sell. Mostly football but still some leftover baseball

Here is a card that escaped the first round of my sales. It is a 1955 Bowman Mickey Mantle, problem is, as is the issue with a lot of his cards, there is writing on the back. This one has a pencil "star"

So...I guess my question is should I send it in to grade it first knowing it will get an MK designation, or should I just try to sell it raw for him? What are the opinions of how this might grade?

Thanks for your comments

Dave

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    4 mk you are probably going to get about $150-200 graded (Last 4 MC, not mk qualifier sold for 170, I don't think you would get more than $100 raw
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I would grade the card. What bothers me more than the pencil star is the focus problem on the photo. I agree 4 MK. Nice card
  • Options
    I would definitely get the card graded especially since there are 55 Bowman Mantle's out there that are reprints and you don't want any doubt in a buyers mind if its real or a reprint. PM you Dave on a earlier post.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    I'd say 5MK....worth slabbing
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    I was thinking 5 MK as well.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    A lot of people seem pretty sure it's a 5 but the registry puts me off. I'd say 4-4.5MK. If it were mine, I'd likely sell it raw.

Actually, I'd probably keep it. image
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I'll echo what others have already said and state that while I could live with the star on the back, the registration on the front would absolutely throw me off. Registration matters to me more than anything (centering, corner wear, wrinkles, marks, etc...)
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would erasing the star be wrong? I think you wouldn't fool anyone and would still definitely expect to get the MK qualifier, but eye appeal would be improved. Why slab the pencil?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    ooops, double post...sorry
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it is OC, it seems like it is centered well enough to be a psa 4-5 card...

Thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure I am going to send it in to grade, The focus looks a little worse with it all blown up and magnified, but yes it is fuzzy on the registration
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Erasing the star could get you Altered and no grade. Definitely leave it.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Grade it.