Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need Chinese ID

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
From an old time collection. 2x2 says BC 480-255 Unlisted. Can anyone help?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    If this is real it is before the time periods with I am familiar. The 2x2 may be right but I am away from my references... Sapyx, are you out there?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumnom summons me... (sorry, I couldn't resist saying that.) image

480-225 BC is the period known as the "Warring States". The concept of round coins had only just been invented, and the holes were almost always round, rather than square - the Chinese name for the coins of this period translates to "round-holed coins". To get a feel for the typical styles of Warring States round-holed coins, check out the zeno.ru pages for the period. There are some square-holed coins of generally similar style, like this one or this one, but if it's genuinely "unlisted" as that one is, then it'll be hard to either confirm or refute. I spent some time cruising through the Warring States zeno pages, both genuine and fake coins, looking for a match, and didn't find anything with just one simple character on one side.

The Later Han period also sees coins of similar shape, though again I couldn't find anything that really matched. One thing that might help us narrow down a search is a diameter.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops, sorry. The diameter is about 20mm.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20mm fits better with the Warring States period than the later Han period. It could be a larger coin that's been filed down, but there's no point in making elaborate hypotheses if we don't have to. Occam;s Razor, and all that.

I suppose the next question is, how reliable is the source of information? Does the "old-timer" seem to be mostly OK with his other attributions? If his other coins all seem to be well-identified, I see no reason to doubt this particular claim, until proven otherwise.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    u guys sure this is a coin?
    looks like piece of metal with a square hole laying on fresh blacktop
    lolololo
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life