Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Got Away With One.....

I bought this at a local card shop for $30 and the owner obviously didn't know it was a high number. I was shocked and I did ask a second time to confirm. It's a 4 or 5 at best but I did feel a little

guilty about it so I bought a '69 Clemente from him. You guys think I should have said something? I do think everything I've bought over the years probably evens out, if that makes sense. Overpaid

for some underpaid for others. Doug

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    it's not your job to teach him his business.. nice pick up
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Doug ... looks a lot better in the pic, but if that is a "4", it's only a $75.00 card AFTER it's slabbed! If it's a "6", then you are looking at $200.00. (I know you are a LOT more familiar with this set than I am.) EITHER WAY, you bought this card from someone who sells cards as a business ... he should know what he is selling. If you bought it from an 80 year old guy who lived around the corner, that would be a different story.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    You are happy with your purchase and he is happy with the dough you gave him...everyone happy...win win!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as it hasn't already been subbed and found altered, then the worst case is you could make your money back. Chances are you doubled your money, and I would LOVE for you to have that come back a 6. Good luck! I agree with the others about feeling guilty, the guy sells cards for a living.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Look at it this way--if he sold it for $30 he probably bought it for $15.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at it this way--if he sold it for $30 he probably bought it for $15. >>

So true there, the funny thing is I was looking at a Campanella to start with that he wanted way too much for the condition.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he had a price guide some place. I'd say he was happy with the $30.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    get it signed lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>it's not your job to teach him his business.. nice pick up >>

this^^^
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭

<< <i>get it signed lol >>

That'll be tough. image I bought a collection from his estate, including a couple of his Georgia Tech yearbooks a number of years back.

Nice looking card, BTW.