Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How to grade a set

Like the title says, how do you give an overall grade to a set of cards?
If the grade distribution was like on a bell curve would you call the set the grade of the middle/median? Do you take out the outliers and call it the middle?
Or do you add up all the grades of each card, divide by number of cards in the set and get the average? Doesnt the PSA registry work like that?

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically if you're selling a raw set, the common practice is to provide a grading distribution. For example, this 1963 set is 10% NM or better, 50% EX-MT, 20% EX and 20% VG-EX or lower.
  • arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>Typically if you're selling a raw set, the common practice is to provide a grading distribution. For example, this 1963 set is 10% NM or better, 50% EX-MT, 20% EX and 20% VG-EX or lower. >>

Ok thanks. So, how do you then go about pricing it?
    I imagine it would also be acceptable to give a grade distribution as well as an average grade for the set?
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭

<< <i>Ok thanks. So, how do you then go about pricing it?
    I imagine it would also be acceptable to give a grade distribution as well as an average grade for the set? >>

The price should be based on the condition of the star/key cards. If the commons are higher grade, but the key cards are lower quality set fillers then averaging out to higher overall grade isn't going to help you.