Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Info needed on 1950's Bill Barilko Toronto Maple Leafs jersey

Hi everyone,

My uncle grew up in New England in the '50s and my grandfather was a huge Leafs fan due to Foster Hewitt and the CBC radio broadcasts that were strong enough to be heard where they lived. Therefore my uncle was given the jersey pictured below by his father. It was purchased around 1955. The jersey was worn, but not overly so. It is a Gerry Cosby jersey size 46 and seems to be a high quality pro-style sweater. There is light wear, but it is as it was in the 50s.

So, a have a few questions as I am not a jersey collector. What sort of materials were used in NHL or other pro sports jerseys in this period? I want to get a sense of how this jersey would be different than a regular NHL jersey during the period. It is common to find these types of jerseys? And of course, any idea what it is worth? I would appreciate any answers or speculations from you guys.

Thanks,

Nathanael

Comments

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Old game used hockey jerseys ("sweaters" is the proper term) are very rare and highly desirable. While I'm not an expert on vintage hockey jerseys, there are a couple of things to note.

The crest seems a little small for a 1950s Leafs style, but seems more late 1940s. Cosby would be the right manufacturer, and the size would be about right. NHL players didn't wear the huge shoulder and elbow pads they wear now.

I'll leave the rest of the analysis for someone more schooled, but if verified game used NHL from the era it would easily bring $4000-6000 at auction.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help. I know this jersey is not game used, but it is interesting to know more about jerseys from the period.
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    ...the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the cup....
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    They didn't win another until 1962, the year he was discovered.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

Just as an update, it seems there isn't much information out there about 1950's era repllica NHL jerseys. Surprise, surprise, I know. So, I'm just throwing it up as a no holds barred true auction on eBay. I'm very curious to how much it will sell for. Bill Barilko sweater on eBay

-Nathanael

PS- I learned this from a hockey card that I tucked up under my fifty mission cap
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I learned this from a hockey card that I tucked up under my fifty mission cap >>

...the Hip rock!

Nice item...hope it sells strong for you!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the cup.... >>

The Leafs won the cup?
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Natan.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    <----------
    <---------

Hip are good.

I have Gordies sig on the reprint Barilko card that came out in the 90's. Apparently, the card he got the inspiration from for the song.

• Options
    Long time Hip fan from the states here too! Impossible to say the name Bill Barilco with out thinking about this song:

THE HIP
    South of Heaven...North of Canada