Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Met one of my favorite players tonight (again)

When I was 17, I met then Dodger, Matt Luke after a game, specifically after a game in which my mouth was busted open in several spots by being "punched" by Phil Nevin (then of the Angels). After the game and all the drama and paperwork, I walked out into the parking lot and met Matt Luke, one of the three "prospects" I had intended to get signatures from that night. Phil Nevin, Paul Konerko and Matt Luke were my objectives. Matt was very cool and signed for everyone in the lot that night and it made a shi*ty evening pretty cool. Since then, I have regularly collected his cards which is tougher than you would think...there is another out there...

So tonight, 13 years later, I see that Matt Luke is signing at Dodger stadium as their featured 'autograph alley' guest. I collect TTM and IP autos of his, inserts, base, anything...Tonight, I got to meet him again and while I expected to have him sign one card (hard to choose), he ended up signing all 6 I brought and chatted a while. Really one of the few times that it seemed like I was talking to a person rather than a highly-paid, never-told-NO, athlete, just a great overall experience with one of the subjects of my player collections. Matt signed a batch of stuff, the joy it brought is better than any awesome find:

My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.

Comments

• Huh? You got punched by a player?
  • Yeah, Phil Nevin, through a fence separating the bullpen from the pavillions at Dodger Stadium.

• twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    So I will ask since nobody else has.

Why did he punch you?
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Fan Says Angels' Nevin Was Cause of Facial Injuries
    July 01, 1998|GREG SANDOVAL and MIKE DiGIOVANNA
    Dylan Charles, 17, is alleging that he suffered a cut lip and bruised nose after Angel catcher Phil Nevin slammed into a bullpen fence at Dodger Stadium last Wednesday night, driving it into Charles' face.

According to Charles' attorney, Sef Krell, Nevin was reacting to two men in their late 20s who were heckling Nevin as he stood in the visitors' bullpen during the game between the Angels and Dodgers. Krell said that Charles did not know either of the men.

• << <i>So I will ask since nobody else has.

Why did he punch you? >>

I was pressed up against the fence (chainlink on my side, fiberglass on his), yelling "Hey Phil" with a baseball in hand. He ran up and hit the fence at my face.

According to his people, some guys had been heckling him/the bullpen before I walked up. I was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" according to his legal staff.

• JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 521 ✭✭
    So what ultimately happened? You get anything out of it..at least an apology?