Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Nice wax

Came across this seller and he has an extensive unopened vintage ebay store, and red flags?

High end wax

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember he was a strong buyer of vintage unopened over the years, and his product looks good, but his BIN prices are way too high, imo..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • He is in Arizona and I haven't heard of him, and AZ seems to be home to many resealed packs (I've had to tell dealers at shows they have resealed wax)
  • I bought some 1977 Topps Mexican Football packs from him. He is legit, but the items could be packaged better for shipment.
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    I see he has 79-80 Hockey tray Packs listed. I thought someone had asked in an earlier thread if Topps even made those. It seems strange because his asking price for a tray of 3 is lower than BBCE asking price for 1 pack.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I see he has 79-80 Hockey tray Packs listed. I thought someone had asked in an earlier thread if Topps even made those. It seems strange because his asking price for a tray of 3 is lower than BBCE asking price for 1 pack.
    Jim >>

Jim ... click on this LINK to see one man's opinion. Seems like a good reference.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. That would seem to imply that the packs could be legitimate even if the trays are not offically Topps.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • bvcbvc Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I don't trust this guy. I had a recent experience with him on this item

1987 Fleer Wax Box

I new the price was too good to be true, but based on that auction description and pics what do you think your're getting? Well, when I got his invoice for the item he said since it was for ONE PACK I had some options on how it was to be shipped. Long story short, he refunded my money and I recommended he clarify his auction listing a little better, which he did.

If you're going to sell ONE pack, don't show the entire wax box in the image, and don't decribe it as Wax Box 36 packs etc... When I received his refund it came with a message saying he had an 86 FLEER BOX for $52.00. I assume he meant pack? maybe empty wax box? Dunno, in any case he doesn't come across as too particularly bright.
  • the thing raised a flag is his 1968 topps mixed box that just screams resealed packs. I wonder if the 62 box is genuine because that would be amazing to have.
  • 1975/76 Topps bkb box at almost 4 grand. I don't think so!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's bought product from a variety of sources, so all packs may not be authentic, but I still believe at least most are. I do know he is not a resealer like the more notorious scammers on ebay, and a lot of his stuff is graded and from reputable sources, but again, as BWF alluded to as well, his BIN prices are way too high.

Edit to add: As the link to Chris's page indicates, there is considerable debate about the authenticity of 79-80 hockey trays. I've heard enough negative feedback about them that I would not purchase any if I were collecting unopened hockey packs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed -- and can't afford any of it