Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Lost Value of a Diamond Cut

I know conventional wisdom (or maybe the value system on the set registry) says that a qualified card should be knocked down two grades. So a grade of PSA 8(OC) is like a grade of PSA 6.

Now, I don't usually give a second thought to qualified cards...I usually just move on. But I ran across a 52 Topps PSA 8(OC) that picked up the OC grade because it's diamond cut. Not the worst I've ever seen, but certainly deserved and definitely detracts from the eye appeal. Still, it's otherwise a great-looking card, and so I'm thinking about picking it up, but want to preserve my options in terms of resale. Based just on the numbers below (yes, obviously there's a huge subjective element), what are your thoughts on the value of the card?

VCP Average for PSA 5: $22.55
VCP Average for PSA 6: $45.99
VCP Average for PSA 7: $144.50
VCP Average for PSA 8: $761.60
Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.

Comments

• I would think about $150.00. In my opinion a PSA 8 OC vintage is worth more then a PSA 6...most older, even no Q's...are off centered somewhat.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind - can you tell which card you're referring to on ebay?

Is it one like this?

Mike
  • Yeah, it is pretty similar. If anything, not quite as bad. It just ended, and I decided not to bid on it. It doesn't really fit into anything I'm doing right now, I just love the color on sharp '52!

Link
    Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again.

If you notice - the camera shot almost makes the holder look curved.

What I'm about to say is not a lecture but just my belief - on terminology.

I picked this 8OC to make a point on OC vs MC - miscut.

It's my understanding that a diamond cut falls into the category of miscut and unless very, very slight can't fit into a holder.

Many times I've found people call a "Tilt" - a diamond cut.

In the case of this card - the 'tilt' gives the impression that the card is diamond cut - but the corners are at right angles - thus, a true rectangle - whereas a diamond cut card is rhomboid.

In the case of this card - you can see the corners are 'not' in right angles and thus not a rectangle but rather rhomboid in shape. Thus a "diamond cut" card.

edit: like I said - I think the camera distorts the pictures - but if you look at the corners? They look "square" to me - thus a rectangle - not a diamond cut.

Mike