Home Sports Talk

TAMU, CLEMSON, MISSOURI, FSU

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
Welcome to the SEC.

As a long-time SEC fan and graduate, I am very pleased with this move. Although I'm concerned that some of the great east-west rivalries may now likely be non-annual games (Ala-Tenn, Au-UGA), the opportunity to expand in this way is simply too much to pass up. I would have been thrilled to just add A&M in the west and FSU in the east....but to throw in Clemson and Missouri as well is great. Clemson has always been an SEC-ish school, they just weren't part of the conference.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I missed this- wow- I still have a hard time accepting Missouri and Nebraska being in separate conferences. FSU and Clemson make sense

Texas A&M and Texas no longer in the same conference?

I am surprised- I did not think that was even possible

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I like this except for Missouri. That really doesn't seem like the kind of school that would geographically fit. Maybe another southeastern school. Miami? Being from New Orleans, I'd love to see Tulane go in and rekindle the old LSU-Tulane rivalry for a yearly basis, but it really wouldn't help the SEC, since all of Louisiana follows LSU pretty religiously anyway. Georgia Tech was in the SEC once upon a time. That wouldn't suck.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tulane and GA Tech are a better fit than Missouri for traditional reasons -

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>I like this except for Missouri. That really doesn't seem like the kind of school that would geographically fit. Maybe another southeastern school. Miami? Being from New Orleans, I'd love to see Tulane go in and rekindle the old LSU-Tulane rivalry for a yearly basis, but it really wouldn't help the SEC, since all of Louisiana follows LSU pretty religiously anyway. Georgia Tech was in the SEC once upon a time. That wouldn't suck. >>

Miami doesn't fit in with the SEC culture at all so that's a big no. FSU and Clemson are basically SEC schools just trapped in the ACC. Plus you factor in their rivalries with South Carolina and Florida and those games at the end of the year will mean a whole lot more than just in state bragging rights, which would be huge.
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Is this rumor or is there an official link to the story?

Yahoo has a story contacting FSU and Jimbo Fisher who both deny hearing anything other than from reporters. Link to Story
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    This is a rumor. ESPN treated as somewhat factual earlier today, but it is still just a rumor. Clemson President is saying that they've had no contact with any SEC officials.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Spouting off rumours as if they are facts is usually a prequel to inserting foot-in-mouth.

The Big-12 may be splintering--and Texas A&M looks like it wants to make a move--but the ACC appears very solid with its membership.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

<< <i>The Big-12 may be splintering--and Texas A&M looks like it wants to make a move--but the ACC appears very solid with its membership. >>

I agree. For now.

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    It really make no sense for FSU and Clemson to move out of the ACC and into the SEC. As a SEC grad, I would rather see it stay as is. If TAMU should join, I could see the SEC seeking one other team for the East division.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
    This feels just like last summer.