Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Classy franchise

If anyone wants to see the difference between a classy franchise and a.......well a not-so-classy franchise, just re-watch the Cubs/Braves game from last night.

If you manage a professional baseball team and your starting pitcher throws at someone just because they homered off you earlier, you should remove that pitcher. The Cubs decided to let Zambrano continue, even though it was clear he was becoming unravelled. Uggla did nothing to draw attention to himself after he homered. Uggla did nothing to violate the unwritten behavior "code". He simply rounded the bases. Zambrano was upset just because he knew he was getting rocked. And then later in the game, he threw at Chipper? Seriously. To cap it off, Zambrano cleared out his locker during the middle of the game, left, and none of his coaches know where he is.

The Cubs franchise is an embarrasment to MLB.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well......this DOES belong in Sports Talk, but........i'll bite.

WHAT?

Z had a meltdown?!?!?!?!!?!??????????

absolutely shocking. imageMAO.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    You don't throw at someone just because they homered off you. Zambrano did it twice last night. I'm now hearing that he retired after the game. What a loser.... MLB will be much better off without him.

Cubs fans- I'd love to hear from you on this. Are you distancing yourself from this guy or defending him?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I live in Chicagoland and I haven't met any Cubs fan defend Z in years, even the diehards. Most have taken to blaming him for the team's lack of success every year. He's sort of a built-in excuse.
  • Options
    head case. no doubt.

too bad. i met him in Arizona at Hohokam several years ago and he seemed nice enough. or maybe still in shock.

it was spring of 2004. image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia Phillies have the classiest franchise right now in MLB, and it's not even debatable - best front office, best management, best players, best fans, and the best city.
  • Options

<< <i>The Philadelphia Phillies have the classiest franchise right now in MLB, and it's not even debatable - best front office, best management, best players, best fans, and the best city. >>

Very fitting that Stevek piped up, given that Philadelphia is probably trying to sign Zambrano as a #8 starter right now.

• Options
    just a shame, really. we can all get behind Kerry Wood, though. literally.

he doesn't even need to try very hard to hit people with pitches. image
  • Options
    I agree ... But we know if big z was throwing gems out there his d baggery attitude would be tolerated and possibly celebrated. Like Brian wilsons ridiculous beard.

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
  • Options
    Cubs fan here, there is no defending Z. Funny how not one of The Cubs came out of the dugout when the Braves players did, looks like even his teammates are tired of his act. The whole organization from the owner on down has become a laughing stock in baseball.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braves would take Z in a hearbeep.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Philadelphia Phillies have the classiest franchise right now in MLB, and it's not even debatable - best front office, best management, best players, best fans, and the best city. >>

Best city? What other city has a newly installed curfew because of rampant violence?
  • Options

<< <i>

Best city? What other city has a newly installed curfew because of rampant violence? >>

London?
  • Options
    Best fans ? Maybe if you work at the duracell factory.

Those who give up liberty for security deserve neither.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braves would take Z in a hearbeep. >>

No, they wouldn't. They've stayed away from scum like him for the last couple of decades. When some oaf does slip through (John Rocker or Robert Fick) they're soon shown the exit.

Nothing says class fans like vomiting on little kids.
  • Options
    Where's Milton Bradley when you need him?
  • Options
    As a long-time Chicago White Sox fan, I'm glad that the rest of the country is finally coming to see what half of Chicago baseball fans have known for the past 103 consecutive seasons:

The Cubs are losers, both on and off the field.
    Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>As a long-time Chicago White Sox fan, I'm glad that the rest of the country is finally coming to see what half of Chicago baseball fans have known for the past 103 consecutive seasons:

The Cubs are losers, both on and off the field. >>

To say that about a whole team, any team is just rude image
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Jane Fonda, John Rocker, and Roger McDowell today were sitting together at lunch discussing what a classy organization the Atlanta Braves are, and have always been.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that John Rocker was a real class act, too..

You can't denigrate a ballclub for the actions of one player. Zambrano has been acting like this for years and isn't likely to change. As I recall, the Cubs did suspend him a couple years back for insubordinate behavior. Bottom line is that if he wasn't still getting batters out (and overall he's had a decent, if not spectacular season), he wouldn't be in there. And that goes pretty much for any player on any team.

Edit to add: Forgot about Jane Fonda..talk about no class..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Its not just Zambrano. Its also the manager who missed several opportunities to take Z out of the game when he clearly had lost his head. He should have been yanked after the first time he threw at Uggla. Its also ownership's fault for signing him to a long term deal, despite his history of having mental episodes.

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    As a White Sox fan I would love to join you in bashing the Cubs but this is a Zambrano issue. The current ownership has nothing to do with the long term deal Zambrano signed. I don't hold Zambrano against the Cubs anymore then I hold John Rocker or the tomahawk chop against the Braves.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    And with $18 million on a guaranteed contract, I dont see him pitching for anyone else next year either unless the Cubs would be willing to take on $17.9 mil of it
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Buehrle, Humber and Peavy could all be gone after this season. Ozzie Guillen is friends with Zambrano. If the Cubs will eat a large portion of the contract I could see him being on the Sox next year.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Apparently Cubs GM Jim Hendry has called Braves GM Frank Wren and apologized for Zambrano and the disrespectful BS that he caused on the night that Atlanta retired Bobby Cox' jersey. The Cubs have also said Zambrano would not participate in team activites for 30 days and would receive no pay. The apology and the stern actions by Hendry are both welcome news. I withdraw my earlier comments about the Cubs franchise. Perhaps this is just a Zambrano issue.

• Options

<< <i>Jane Fonda, John Rocker, and Roger McDowell today were sitting together at lunch discussing what a classy organization the Atlanta Braves are, and have always been. >>

Perhaps a topic which came up during lunch was that one game Ted Turner managed..."I think it one of the most well managed games in MLB history" Jane was overheard saying.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a long-time Chicago White Sox fan, I'm glad that the rest of the country is finally coming to see what half of Chicago baseball fans have known for the past 103 consecutive seasons:

The Cubs are losers, both on and off the field. >>

Ligue is that you? btw, which Chicago do you live in where "half the Chicago baseball fans" are White Sox fans? East Chicago, Indiana? Excellent attempt to curb the White Sox fan stereotype though.

The Cubs franchise is an embarrasment to MLB.

I dig the irony here....especially the day after the Braves retired the number of a wife-beater. Perhaps if the Cubs can hire more wife beaters, racist relievers, or homo-phobe pitching coaches we can accrue the same level of respect the Braves have. BTW the pitch to Uggla was a 2 seam tailer that ran right into a guy who dives over the plate. That one wasn't a purpose pitch. Chipper beaning...yes.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Everything about Philadelphia sucks, even it's mint.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Everything about Philadelphia sucks, even it's mint.

They do make a good cheesesteak sandwich, though...that is when they're no booing Santa, throwing batteries, vomiting on fellow fans, or cheering opposing players lying prone on the field..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    i find it way more incredible that Uggly is on a 32-game hitting streak and now being mentioned in the same breath as DiMaggio.

he's batting .226

what was he batting prior to the streak?

Dee Gordon's weight sopping wet? image
  • Options
    .226 is DiMaggio like when you look at Adam Dunn.
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    I believe he was around .175 when the streak started. Getting past 30 is pretty remarkable...he's approaching Rose's NL record at 44 games...those last few are going to be the toughest.

Edit to add: he may be hitting only .225 but he did hit .290 over 160 games last season, so he's a better hitten than his season avg indicates.

• Options

<< <i>.226 is DiMaggio like when you look at Adam Dunn. >>

i can't look at Adam Dunn. but the other day when my hat blew off my head into the neighbor's yard, i'm pretty sure it was the wind drag from another swing and miss. image
  • Options
    [q
    I dig the irony here....especially the day after the Braves retired the number of a wife-beater. Perhaps if the Cubs can hire more wife beaters, racist relievers, or homo-phobe pitching coaches we can accrue the same level of respect the Braves have. BTW the pitch to Uggla was a 2 seam tailer that ran right into a guy who dives over the plate. That one wasn't a purpose pitch. Chipper beaning...yes. >>

It must REALLY suck to be a Cubs fan. You already focused on Notre Dame football this year......am I right? I mean....when people say that your team sucks, you basically have no reply. You just open up wide and swallow that cold hard truth...Eat it up pal....eat it up.

• Options

<< <i>Everything about Philadelphia sucks, even it's mint.

They do make a good cheesesteak sandwich, though...that is when they're no booing Santa, throwing batteries, vomiting on fellow fans, or cheering opposing players lying prone on the field..image >>

And those incidents with their players--throwing firecrakers into crowds and spraying bleach on reporters....

Oh wait, that was the Mets. image
  • Options
    < Everything about Philadelphia sucks, even it's mint.

They do make a good cheesesteak sandwich, though...that is when they're no booing Santa, throwing batteries, vomiting on fellow fans, or cheering opposing players lying prone on the field.. >>

And those incidents with their players--throwing firecrakers into crowds and spraying bleach on reporters....

Oh wait, that was the Mets.

As far as I can recall, the player was trying to help said reporter to get a spot out on an expensive piece of apparel...Mets players are always ready to help when called upon. And the firecracker was a dud..

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Best fans? Hey...c'mon now. We're the best!

Just because we

* sit and talk on our cell phones all game
    * have no idea what is going on in the ball game
    * wear panda hats and fake beards
    * eat gobs of garlic fries and sushi

remember: we sell out AT&T Park every game!

And someone told me that we won the World Series last year. That did happen, right?

Ciao from San Francisco!
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    The Cubs are an absolute embarrassment. It has been said a million times before but I will say it again. The fans need to stop going to games until the organization can get their act together. Z is a head case on the mound. He could have been one of the best pitchers in the game if he ever figured out how to deal with his emotions. It is really a shame to see a guy with his talent squander his career away. I have met him several times and he seems to be a nice guy off the field.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>[q
    I dig the irony here....especially the day after the Braves retired the number of a wife-beater. Perhaps if the Cubs can hire more wife beaters, racist relievers, or homo-phobe pitching coaches we can accrue the same level of respect the Braves have. BTW the pitch to Uggla was a 2 seam tailer that ran right into a guy who dives over the plate. That one wasn't a purpose pitch. Chipper beaning...yes. >>

It must REALLY suck to be a Cubs fan. You already focused on Notre Dame football this year......am I right? I mean....when people say that your team sucks, you basically have no reply. You just open up wide and swallow that cold hard truth...Eat it up pal....eat it up. >>

Um...I say, get a life. I agree, Zambrano should have been yanked, and has always been tremendously overrated, but your hate fest is pretty damn immature. It didn't seem that Chipper cared much (a class act, always), but if it was such a big deal for him, I'd hope to see if at least stare down Zambrano. He threw behind him and at his ass, right? It's not like he was trying to end Chipper's career a couple months early.
  • Options
    Cubs just suspended him, so I guess they're not as classless as you think..

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    It must REALLY suck to be a Cubs fan. You already focused on Notre Dame football this year......am I right? I mean....when people say that your team sucks, you basically have no reply. You just open up wide and swallow that cold hard truth...Eat it up pal....eat it up.

I suppose if I was only a Cubs/baseball fan it would suck. As it is, I'm not, so my sports angst rating is about as low as it gets considering in my nearly 30 years on the planet, between the 4 major sports and 4 major Chicago franchises, and my alma mater, I've witnessed 11 championships. That's not even factoring in the 26 Grand Slam titles Sampras, Agassi, and Courier won...since I'm also an avid tennis fan.

Um...I say, get a life. I agree, Zambrano should have been yanked, and has always been tremendously overrated, but your hate fest is pretty damn immature. It didn't seem that Chipper cared much (a class act, always), but if it was such a big deal for him, I'd hope to see if at least stare down Zambrano. He threw behind him and at his ass, right? It's not like he was trying to end Chipper's career a couple months early.

in fairness, Zambrano is a bullish 6'5 260 with a deft ability to land blows in a sport where players typically have better luck landing punches on themselves, so Larry Wayne wasn't going to venture anywhere near the bump without incurring his 26th DL stint of the season as the result of major facial reconstructive surgery. Zambrano has been in the league for 11 seasons in which he's plunked 92 batters, and no one has come to the mound on him seeking retaliation...so that wasn't going to happen. That said, we're talking about a guy who honestly thinks Dale Murphy (he of six peak seasons and a myriad of mediocrity) is worthy of the HOF, and nearly mainstream stats like OPS+ are "made up". The sad part is that Z goes on one of his annual selfish petulant tirades that really has nothing to do with his team, and that bothers him more than the garbage Roger McDope or John Rocker spewed, or that a wife beater is an ATL baseball institution. The McDowell incident occurred this season. I don't recall a "classless franchise" thread penned in the wrong forum at that point, so clearly objectivity isn't a strength. Let's not forget Chipper didn't even get plunked, nor was either pitch above the belt. Imagine what he would have posted had the Braves been involved in a bean-ball war that STL/MIL were involved with last week. Or if Chipper would have been drilled in the head David Wright style by Matt Cain. Or if Johnny Cueto kicked a Brave in the head like he did Jason LaRue last year leading to his concussion induced retirement. Or if Matt Holliday would have Ty Cobbed Larry Wayne instead of Starlin Castro spikes high.

• Options

<< <i>Cubs just suspended him, so I guess they're not as classless as you think.. >>

You may have missed my earlier post about 4 hours before you wrote that. When the Cubs GM apologized to Frank Wren, I withdrew my comment and said that this appears to be a Zambrano-only problem, not a franchise issue.

As for the other comments about Bobby Cox and Roger McDowell- Those were both 1-time events. If either were a pattern, then the city wouldn't be behind either of them. Its that simple. Definitely not career-defining attributes. Similarly, if this was the first time Zambrano had lost his cool and forgotten that he was a grown up, then some people would have given him a pass. Unfortunately, we've seen those antics throughout Zambrano's career and is it what defines him.

Much of this "issue" was de-fused by the quick thinking Cubs GM, who recognized that he had a maniac in his franchise and kicked him off the team for 30 days. For baseball's sake, lets hope Zambrano just goes away quietly. Thanks.

• Options

<< <i>Everything about Philadelphia sucks, even it's mint.

They do make a good cheesesteak sandwich, though...that is when they're no booing Santa, throwing batteries, vomiting on fellow fans, or cheering opposing players lying prone on the field..image >>

Cheeit...I almost forgot to mention...we've got the best food as well. image
  • Options
    Cubs just suspended him, so I guess they're not as classless as you think.. >>

You may have missed my earlier post about 4 hours before you wrote that. When the Cubs GM apologized to Frank Wren, I withdrew my comment and said that this appears to be a Zambrano-only problem, not a franchise issue.

You mean you jumped the gun again before realizing your presumptions were premature? Yes, I did miss that, though I've come to almost expect that from you by now.. image