Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sorry to vent - but I'm steaming p*ssed

I sent a Staubach rc in to be signed at the National and I am shocked at how little care was taken to provide a solid autograph for the $129 fee that was charged. I will refrain from naming the dealer, however I just sent him and e-mail saying that I will take my business elsewhere (this isn't the first incident w/ this dealer).

Arghhhhhh....

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Wow that is crappy, well justified I would be annoyed as well.
  • Who was it so we know not to send stuff to them? I know I don't want to send $129 and a nice card only to have them send crap like that back.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Greg

Wow - that's very disappointing!

Did you try to see if the dealer would make good on this? That's a really nice RC and they kinda messed it up with that smudge.

If I were the dealer - I would refund the money to you and keep you as a customer.

Sorry to see this.
    Mike
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    That really sucks. I would send them an email with a scan of the card tomorrow and ask for a refund.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That really sucks. I would send them an email with a scan of the card tomorrow and ask for a refund. >>

+1
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. This has happened before w/ this dealer before - which I thought that we had gotten past (he refunded my signing fees for the previous issue). He promised that from now on, he would personally ensure the cards are signed w/ a new sharpie. So - the 3 other cards that I had signed looked good, but the most expensive card (I paid $90 for it 10 years ago) was signed with a sharpie that appears to have been used to sign dozens of autographs before mine. Even if he refunds the cost of the autograph, I'm stuck having to shell out another $80 to $100 for another rookie card.

I sent him and e-mail last night and I'll defer naming him publicly unless he is unwilling to make this right.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the advice guys. This has happened before w/ this dealer before - which I thought that we had gotten past (he refunded my signing fees for the previous issue). He promised that from now on, he would personally ensure the cards are signed w/ a new sharpie. So - the 3 other cards that I had signed looked good, but the most expensive card (I paid $90 for it 10 years ago) was signed with a sharpie that appears to have been used to sign dozens of autographs before mine. Even if he refunds the cost of the autograph, I'm stuck having to shell out another $80 to $100 for another rookie card.

I sent him and e-mail last night and I'll defer naming him publicly unless he is unwilling to make this right.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, if he/she refunds you the signing fee, I'd be more than happy to trade you either one of the Staubach's pictured below for your signed, smeared one. At that point, you'd be whole and could try again

Buying US Presidential autographs
    Thanks for the offer Mike - I'll definately consider depending on the outcome. I still owe you a PM - get back w/ you later today.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Does this thing work?

http://blog.showmesigs.com/?p=313
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Wow, that really sucks!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Was it from a bad pen or put in the holder right away and smudged. I would think this has happened many times. How would someone prevent this from happening? I would think that this would happen to 1 out of every 20 cards or so.....Just to add I do not get autographs and don't really know what to know about this type of thing.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really sucks...

Hope he will make good for you.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Class move Mike Navarro image

<< <i>Does this thing work?

http://blog.showmesigs.com/?p=313 >>

This will only work on high gloss cards and photos. It won't work on anything that absorbs the ink into the surface.
  • It looks smeared by the card saver. The person probably put it back in the holder right away. The pen looks a little bit thick too.

Sorry this happened to you, and hope the person makes it right.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

<< <i>It looks smeared by the card saver. The person probably put it back in the holder right away. The pen looks a little bit thick too.

Sorry this happened to you, and hope the person makes it right. >>

I've tested sharpies before, and the card was signed by a sharpie that had been used to sign 25+ other items. The dealer claimed that they swap out sharpies after 8 to 10 items - however that evidently wasn't the case w/ my card. Plus, as you pointed out, the person shoved the card back in the holder without letting it dry.

I'll see how the dealer responds and go from there.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    no bueno.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb A$$ Sharpies!!!!
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Man that sucks! sorry buddy
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
    The promoter finally responded and claims that a new sharpie was used and didn't offer to refund my $. He does business as Sports Card Heroes located in MD. I hate to call people out publicly, however I don't want other collectors to suffer the same fate.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • That doesn't seem right... Maybe TCC needs to know too.

He messed up, not even remotely your fault.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    That is a complete joke. If anyone has received more than one autograph in their lifetime they would be able to tell that was not signed with a new sharpie. Ok, even if you give them the benefit of the doubt and it was a new sharpie. How do they explain the huge smear? That is just bad business on their part. I will make sure never to use them for future signings.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Surprised Tri Star wasn't involved in this, this is something that's right in their strike zone.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    He does business as Sports Card Heroes located in MD.

I've been dealing with those guys for almost 15 years and they've always given great customer service and I've never had a problem with them.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Could it be a possiblity that Roger accidently smudged the auto, perhaps with the back of his hand, after signing it?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

<< <i>He does business as Sports Card Heroes located in MD.

I've been dealing with those guys for almost 15 years and they've always given great customer service and I've never had a problem with them. >>

I really like Rodney as a person, however this isn't the first incident that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Could it be a possiblity that Roger accidently smudged the auto, perhaps with the back of his hand, after signing it? >>

It's possible, however the autograph itself looks terrible because the sharpie used to sign my card had been overused. They are suppose to switch out sharpies every 8 to 10 items and the one used to sign my card had not been switched out within the 8 to 10 card limit.

I send cards to players TTM all the time w/ new sharpies and the only time that an autograph bubbles is when it has been overused.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    New Sharpie or not the auto is smudged and they should work with you on that alone.

Sorry this happened.

<< <i>

<< <i>Could it be a possiblity that Roger accidently smudged the auto, perhaps with the back of his hand, after signing it? >>

It's possible, however the autograph itself looks terrible because the sharpie used to sign my card had been overused. They are suppose to switch out sharpies every 8 to 10 items and the one used to sign my card had not been switched out within the 8 to 10 card limit.

I send cards to players TTM all the time w/ new sharpies and the only time that an autograph bubbles is when it has been overused.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Oh, so that's what you have an issue with.

In all of the years I've attended shows, never once have I seen a sharpie replaced after 8 to 10 signings. Goes to show that you can learn something new every day.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I think it probably could have been avoided if he/she just waited a couple of seconds before he shoved it back into the case.

• << <i>New Sharpie or not the auto is smudged and they should work with you on that alone.

Sorry this happened. >>

Exactly.

<< <i>I think it probably could have been avoided if he/she just waited a couple of seconds before he shoved it back into the case. >>

If the smudge came from quickly putting it into a top loader, wouldn't it go from down to up rather than left to right?
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If it was signed on the grassy knoll anything is possible. Personally I send everything I need to Kathy Bates at I'm your #1 fan. Every item signed with a new sharpie like their life depended on it.