Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My adventures visiting some cards shops today...

My neighbor and I decided to go visit some semi-local card shops. Semi-local being 45 minutes to 75 minutes away. We went to two card shops in Gastonia NC and then went to a shop in Matthews NC which right off of 485 that runs through Charlotte.

So, my buddy and I leave out around 11:00 and start going towards Gastonia. Used cardshopfinder.com to find listings and came across 2 in Gastonia. The first we visited was called Collectors World. It was a comic and card shop with some older cards and some older comics. Nothing to write home about. Looked at a couple of Schmidts, a 74 and 77, as well as a couple other cards. Nothing that was priced right for the grade though. Store clerk was nice and chatty. Had nothing in the way of unopened packs. So, we looked around for a while and then left. Neither of us buying anything. Would go back although it would only be because I was in the area.

Got back in the car and off we went again. This time our destination was a little shop called All Things Collectibles. Very small store with almost all the wall and floor space chocked full of stuff. Not cluttered but packed. So, got to looking around and saw some loose packs like 91 Leaf, 89 Fleer etc. Those were priced at $2.00 a pack. There were about 4 packs of 89 UD at $5 a pack. No thanks. Kept looking around and saw in one of the display cases a box of 84 Fleer and 83 Topps. Topps packs were $7 each and the Fleer were $8 each image Oh, and price was not negotiable :applause; In the center of the room they had a large metal bookcase chocked full of junk wax priced, well, priced by someone smoking crack AND living like it is 1989. I saw a box I would have liked, an 89 Bowman. Now, I want the box for 1 card, a Mike Schmidt for my Schmidt registry set. Price was $45 for the box. No, I am not lying $45. Thats an $8 box. At most. Paying full retail. So, I ask if the prices were negotiable and here goes my conversation:
me "Are the prices on the box the actual price?"
shop owner "Yes, they are"
me "ok"
SO "I know some of them are a little high, but I know about how much I have in them and anyway I dont want to have to track another down to replace the one I sold"
Wow. Just wow. So, instead of selling a box and making some money we are going to hold on to a ridiculously overpriced box (of which he probably sold cases when they came out and most likely has nothing in it) for old times sakes. Nice business model

So, we leave there and head down to AAA Collectibles in Matthews. I had been there before and bought a Duke Snider auto ball. The gentleman and his wife that run the store are really nice folks.
So, with my list of 66 Topps in my pocket we go in. I look through an 800 count box of 66 Topps and pull out a few cards. Some commons, a Yankees Team card, Indians Team card, and a Juan Marichal. Priced them right and I picked them up. While I am looking around my buddy is looking at new Football wax. All the while the owners (forgot their names) were always talking with me or Tony, or the other 20 or so folks that came in and out. Just top notch customer service.
Then I dug into his 57 Topps box which was chock full of 57s. I thought I had printed out my want list but forgot. So when I go back Ill make sure I take that list as well.
We spent well over 2 hours in the shop and I could have spent more.
Wound up buying those 66's, some Schmidt cards for grins and giggles, some will grade out, some wont, 3 85 Donruss Kirby Puckett where one is a slam dunk 9, maybe a 10. Owner looked it up on eBay saw what they were going for and said, $2 each is that cool with you? Yep, it is. Even if I dont grade them. Also bought an 83 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry. Wanted one of those for a while.

Just a great shop and I suggest to anyone to stop in if they are ever in the area. This owners shop is top class. He has evolved his business over the years and now has a lot of memorabilia from Steiner, UD, etc. Just a top notch shop.

I will def be back to the AAA shop. Just a great shop and a great place to shop and hang out.

Arex

Comments

• I love the '89 Bowman story. God knows those are tough boxes to find if he wanted to refill his inventory. How the hell is a place like that still in business?
  • arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>I love the '89 Bowman story. God knows those are tough boxes to find if he wanted to refill his inventory. How the hell is a place like that still in business? >>

Exactly lol
    He said he is one of the biggest Magic The Gathering dealers in the country. He sure doesnt stay in business with his baseball cards lol
  • Cool story Arex. Sounds like a Pickers like day!! Good for you. image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Arex,

I used to live in Charlotte and used to visit AAA Collectibles about 2/month. I can't think of the owners names (I have their faces in my head) but you are right, they are down right nice people. They talk to all the customers that come in and just not small talk. The owners also try to get to know the customers and are also very good with the kids. Just a great shop that has found their nitch in the Charlotte area.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>Arex,

I used to live in Charlotte and used to visit AAA Collectibles about 2/month. I can't think of the owners names (I have their faces in my head) but you are right, they are down right nice people. They talk to all the customers that come in and just not small talk. The owners also try to get to know the customers and are also very good with the kids. Just a great shop that has found their nitch in the Charlotte area.

Mark >>

Completely agree. While we were in there he answered the phone probably 8 times. And was always pleasant. Usually I would hear "yes we are buying but they need to be 1975 or earlier. I dont want you to have to waste gas on coming over here if it isnt something we will buy" Just classy people.

• cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I remember many times he would give the kids great deals on cards and they would as happy as could be. He always asked how they were doing in school and how their grades were. They really are a nice family business and knew how to treat people. He was also smart enough to know that if you keep the kids happy, they would be repeat customers.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Arex,

I live in Charlotte, and was at AAA last Friday to settle up on some 1954 Topps PSA’s I consigned through the shop on eBay, as well as to pick up some supplies. You are 100% correct, while the shop is not the biggest in the world, the service is top notch.

Regarding the memorabilia you noticed in the store, he is one of the few small card shop owners in the U.S. that can get his hands on low print Upper Deck signed memorabilia. Did you notice the Nicklaus/Palmer/Woods signed landscape photo? I believe there were only 100 of those made by UD, and he has two left in stock.
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator