Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps - regular base cards

I was thinking about the lack of value of any regular edition Topps cards. In years past, a players Topps rookie was THE card to get, which drove prices up. Nowadays, the high value rookies are all autos, short prints, chrome, etc., and the basic Topps card is an afterthought. Obviously, production run has a lot to do with it. Anyway, I was just wondering what regular edition Topps cards from the past, say 10-15 years, has any value? I'm talking just the raw card, not a PSA 10 that wil drive up the value.

Off hand, I can think of the following that garner any attention:

1993 Derek Jeter
1996 Kobe Bryant
1998 Peyton Manning
2002 Albert Pujols
2007 Adrian Peterson
2011 Stephen Strasburg (may not even be considered regular edition?)

And it seems all of these can still be had for less than $5.

Any others?

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 2002 Topps Pujols will be much more than $5. I have seen them go for $60. I had to pay around $35 for mine. They are very, very tough to find and even tougher to submit and get your own PSA 10. I went through over 20 sets one time and NONE of them were even PSA 9 worthy.

Edited to say: I re-read your post and you said "NOT" a PSA 10. So, never mind.

Shane

I have thought about this topic as well before. Doesn't the 2002 Topps Joe Mauer bring over $5?

I would say that if it were not for all of the inserts, autos, and game used, that these cards would be worth well more than they are today. But, since hardly anybody collects the base cards, (you're right) they are an afterthought.

Shane

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2006 Topps Alex Gordon card (#297), and the cut out of that card for which I paid more than $ 5
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    I forgot about that one, Al. I have the cutout version of that card for my Topps set. I've not broken down and bought the full version yet.

Shane

• 2010 Topps Buster Posey was running a high $20 last year.
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    2001 Ichiro
    2007 Tim Lincecum
    2005 Aaron Rodgers

Can add those, but beyond that and what you listed... yeah, not too much to think of
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    past 10-15 years? thats an easy one....

for over 100 years a true collectible card was always issued FREE with a product or service of some kind.
    Topps hasnt made true collectible cards in over 25 years now.
    Everything they make now is the "product" and often sold as complete sets or in bulk ... this has ruined the hobby forever and will kill the value of 98% of all cards made like this.

Most all valuable collectibles (that held low/no value at issue time) needed to have a high % used abused and often trashed thus becoming naturally scarcer over time, especially in high grade....
    ie tootsietoys, pez, hotwheels, tobacco cards, gum/candy cards, comics, movie posters, vintage Halloween/Christmas, record albums, beer cans/bottles, stamps, bikes, toys, vintage barbie/dolls, lunchboxes, etc. etc.

then factor in demand..... "supply and demand"

modern garbage (including cards) horded in bulk from the issue date will never hold value (because every clown thinks they will and horded it image)... ie bennie babies, franklin mint, starting lineup, collector plates, modern barbie, anything that says "limited edition" or is often saved in unopened condition ie wheaties boxes, modern commemorative soda/beer cans, etc.

<< <i>past 10-15 years? thats an easy one....

for over 100 years a true collectible card was always issued FREE with a product or service of some kind.
    Topps hasnt made true collectible cards in over 25 years now.
    Everything they make now is the "product" and often sold as complete sets or in bulk ... this has ruined the hobby forever and will kill the value of 98% of all cards made like this.

Most all valuable collectibles (that held low/no value at issue time) needed to have a high % used abused and often trashed thus becoming naturally scarcer over time, especially in high grade....
    ie tootsietoys, pez, hotwheels, tobacco cards, gum/candy cards, comics, movie posters, vintage Halloween/Christmas, record albums, beer cans/bottles, stamps, bikes, toys, vintage barbie/dolls, lunchboxes, etc. etc.

then factor in demand..... "supply and demand"

modern garbage (including cards) horded in bulk from the issue date will never hold value (because every clown thinks they will and horded it image)... ie bennie babies, franklin mint, starting lineup, collector plates, modern barbie, anything that says "limited edition" or is often saved in unopened condition ie wheaties boxes, modern commemorative soda/beer cans, etc. >>

Great post. There is a whole lot of truth to that statement. Even though I think base cards will always be collectible to set collectors, team set collectors, and player collectors, the value has drastically declined due to what you just said.

What you said about "limited edition" is so true. "Limited edition" is a "manufactured rarity". Kind of like 1/1 cards, which I think is a joke. If it says "limited edition" or "collectible", it usually is worthless.

Shane