Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I FINALLY completed my first autograph set (1977 Touchdown)

After nearly 5 years, I have completed my first autographed set - 1977 Touchdown! It is a 50 card set that was released to highlight 50 then living pro football players from the early era of pro football. From what I understand, the unsigned set came with a list of addresses of the players for the collectors to get signed. Could you imagine the privacy issues that would cause nowadays!!??

Among the tougher cards in the set are HOFers Tuffy Leemans and Benny Friedman. The last card that I needed was Sid Luckman. For anyone familiar w/ Sid Luckman's autograph, there is disagreement in the autograph community about which variations of his signature are authentic. I have had several ungraded examples rejected by PSA and was lucky enough to stumble upon a slabbed copy at the National. I'll eventually have it transferred to a red flip and finish out my set. Enjoy!

Link to set

Rgs,

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Congrats, Greg.
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, I like this set because it has cards of players from the 20's, 30's and 40's that don't have rookie cards or any other cards at all.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Greg,

All I can say is WOW and congratulations on completing you amazing set. image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Congratulations on putting together a fantastic autographed set! Really interesting football history. Thanks for sharing, Greg.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Way to go, congrats.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Greg ... always nice to finish off a set like that!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Congratulations Greg. That is quite an accomplishment. That is a set that I would like to have one day as well. Would fit in very nicely with my collection. Very happy for you. image
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Way to go Greg!

Todd
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Greg job Greg! Hopefully one day I can finish a set as well lol!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific job on completing your auto set...image

Congrats...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I received the Luckman back from PSA and have updated my set. Thanks for everyone's kind words...I'll still excited that I finished my first set.

Linky

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Great job on completing this set . I'm always amazed about the collecting interest of many collectors. It almost always makes me think , wow I ought to start that set . Again great job.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    very nice greg, congrats!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    WOWimage I didn't eben know you were working on this set. Some of the autos and cards look great. I especially appreciate the Grange Friedman cards. Sharp sigs on great cards. Congrats Greg!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion