Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Vault

I just happened upon this Topps Vault item that went for a hefty price. These items that Topps auctions off are great for the collector and I believe every hobbyist should add one of their unique items to their collections. I've found if you wait until an item of your favorite player comes around works out better in the long run opposed to bidding on enything that catches your interest. I own over 50 Topps Vault items and my best so far was the 1984 Topps John Elway full color proof card. Here's the link of today's item that ended nicely.

1972 Topps

Comments

• I have added some nice Brian Winters proof cards over the years from the Topps Vault. They do put up some cool items that's for sure. Good stuff indeed!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭
    I've rec'd from great items from the Topps Vault on eBay as well and this is probably my favorite:

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
    I also dig this one where you can see where they air brushed the base umpire out of this 2001 Bowman Heritage card

imageimage
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I was outbid on this classicimageKoufax
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    You are right ... they have some pretty kewl items. I know I have a few that I picked up some years ago.

IMF ... that Ripken 3xs auto from Topps is pretty kewl. One of those ( I THINK signed 5xs) has been on eBay from Thurman Munson. I believe Rick Probstein owns it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>You are right ... they have some pretty kewl items. I know I have a few that I picked up some years ago.

IMF ... that Ripken 3xs auto from Topps is pretty kewl. One of those ( I THINK signed 5xs) has been on eBay from Thurman Munson. I believe Rick Probstein owns it. >>

Yeah he has the Munson. He brought it along to the National last week.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You are right ... they have some pretty kewl items. I know I have a few that I picked up some years ago.
    IMF ... that Ripken 3xs auto from Topps is pretty kewl. One of those ( I THINK signed 5xs) has been on eBay from Thurman Munson. I believe Rick Probstein owns it. >>

Yeah he has the Munson. He brought it along to the National last week. >>

BWF ... pretty kewl item ... but WOW ... a lot of $$ if I remember correctly!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love their stuff, especially the match print photos, here are a few of mine:

1982 Topps

1978 Hostess

And my favorite item, 1976 Topps Expos team card hand painted photo
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>You are right ... they have some pretty kewl items. I know I have a few that I picked up some years ago.

Yeah he has the Munson. He brought it along to the National last week. >>

BWF ... pretty kewl item ... but WOW ... a lot of $$ if I remember correctly!!! >>

You remember correctly! Lol ;-)
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I really like the T.V. items.

I do wish they made COA's that where card size for the cards and that they went back to actually signing them.

Here's a few I own from my pcs.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    I wish PSA would slab the Match Prints (Beckett does)

IMF
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love their stuff, especially the match print photos, here are a few of mine:

1982 Topps

1978 Hostess

And my favorite item, 1976 Topps Expos team card hand painted photo
    image >>

AWESOME!!!!!

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Great once-in-a-lifetime stuff they have. Just about everything is too pricey though for me.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I have never won any but I really like the contracts they sell.
  • I have won a few negatives but haven't decided what to do with them. I'd like to have an image without the Topps watermark that is overlaid on the Ebay photo; however I'd have to crack it out of the Topps slab to do that.

Any ideas?
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!

• << <i>I have won a few negatives but haven't decided what to do with them. I'd like to have an image without the Topps watermark that is overlaid on the Ebay photo; however I'd have to crack it out of the Topps slab to do that.

Any ideas? >>

Are they really 2"x 2" like it says in their listings?
  • They're about 2.5 inches tall by 2 inches wide. They come in a thick acrylic slab, conveniently the same size as a toploader, mounted or laid on a white backing card. The slab has a Topps Vault sticker across the seam and a numbered hologram sticker on the back. I haven't tried scanning yet but my expectation is that the image will be rendered somewhat darker than a print due to the slab and the white backing.
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Found a some more I forgot about...here are some of them.

A 1983 Topps Joe Theisman Sticker Card Negative.

1980 Topps Packers Team Card Color Seperations

1981 Topps #522 Ron Saul Color Seperations

imageimage

image">image

image">image

About a dozen of different 2010 Topps Blank Backs...

imageimage

imageimage

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Wow on that Koufax. Whoever chose the final photos for Topps didn't do a very good job, several of the negatives are much better than what wound up on the card.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that Koufax image will show up on a custom card some day.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would bring this thread back to life. I just got this 1998 Finest Bernie Williams match proof photo set, I really love this stuff!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have won a few negatives but haven't decided what to do with them. I'd like to have an image without the Topps watermark that is overlaid on the Ebay photo; however I'd have to crack it out of the Topps slab to do that.
    Any ideas? >>

When you say you haven't decided what to do with them I hope you don't think you can reproduce them. Topps sells digital copies and all rights to the image before selling the negatives off. They are still really cool items but I would reproduce it anywhere for commercial purposes.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this end on ebay. It is the match print proof for the 2001 Gallery Pujols RC. My first thought is that the final bid ($102) was lower than expected. Second, I thought the Gallery cards had a "painted" look to them and not photos. I wonder what Topps was trying to match.

Topps Vault Pujols
    Mike
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    art
  • I own a few of the negatives as well. I noticed that Topps lists them as color negatives and then also calls them color transparencies in the listings. Do you think these would be harmed by displaying? It seems that a transparency could be displayed behind UV protection glass without harm, but a true negative wouldn't fair well over time. The 2x2 negatives wouldn't work well for displaying as they are very dark and encapsulated, but I also own some of the 4x5 negatives/transparencies. The larger negatives come in a large toploader so they could be removed and backlit. I noticed that the larger negatives are printed on fugi film, so that has me a bit hesitant to display them. any thoughts?

• << <i>

<< <i>I have won a few negatives but haven't decided what to do with them. I'd like to have an image without the Topps watermark that is overlaid on the Ebay photo; however I'd have to crack it out of the Topps slab to do that.
    Any ideas? >>

When you say you haven't decided what to do with them I hope you don't think you can reproduce them. Topps sells digital copies and all rights to the image before selling the negatives off. They are still really cool items but I would reproduce it anywhere for commercial purposes. >>

Not positive on how to do it, but I believe that I asked Topps if you could make a copy off a slide of theirs for your own use and they told me I could.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    You should handle transparencies the same way you handle negatives. Negatives are made with 35 mm cameras where transparencies are made with medium or large format cameras. They hold much more detail. I would not display them, especially to light. As for printing with or without the permission of Topps Vault, technically you need the rights to be signed over to you along with the negative, but if you were to print the image, Topps Vault would have to prove monetary damages which is difficult and costly. However, the player owns the right to his image and the team owns the rights to its logo. If you make prints for your own use, no one will bother you. Take the transparency to a PROFESSIONAL lab, do not use the likes of Walmart or CVS. Make a digital scan of the transparency so you can make future prints from that. Hope that helps.

• << <i>You should handle transparencies the same way you handle negatives. Negatives are made with 35 mm cameras where transparencies are made with medium or large format cameras. They hold much more detail. I would not display them, especially to light. As for printing with or without the permission of Topps Vault, technically you need the rights to be signed over to you along with the negative, but if you were to print the image, Topps Vault would have to prove monetary damages which is difficult and costly. However, the player owns the right to his image and the team owns the rights to its logo. If you make prints for your own use, no one will bother you. Take the transparency to a PROFESSIONAL lab, do not use the likes of Walmart or CVS. Make a digital scan of the transparency so you can make future prints from that. Hope that helps. >>

• << <i>

<< <i>You should handle transparencies the same way you handle negatives. Negatives are made with 35 mm cameras where transparencies are made with medium or large format cameras. They hold much more detail. I would not display them, especially to light. As for printing with or without the permission of Topps Vault, technically you need the rights to be signed over to you along with the negative, but if you were to print the image, Topps Vault would have to prove monetary damages which is difficult and costly. However, the player owns the right to his image and the team owns the rights to its logo. If you make prints for your own use, no one will bother you. Take the transparency to a PROFESSIONAL lab, do not use the likes of Walmart or CVS. Make a digital scan of the transparency so you can make future prints from that. Hope that helps. >>

>>

thanks for the info. I thought it would make a cool display piece to frame the negative next to the card that was produced from it. Guess that might not be possible.