Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions on Grading: What do you think these would grade?

Hi,

My younger brother has been collecting old baseball cards for about five years now and was thinking of sending some of his better conditioned cards in for grading. He's never really looked at condition when buying, unless he's going to put a good amount of money into it. He once purchased a Jim Palmer rookie on eBay for 0.71 cents, but it probably wouldn't even grade a PSA 1. In any case, if it's cool with everyone here, I'd like to post some of the cards he's thinking of sending in for grading, and see what you all think they would grade. Here are the first two...

Thanks,
R-Mac

Comments

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the Ryan might get a 2, and I wouldn't send in the Bunning.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say the Ryan might get a 2, and I wouldn't send in the Bunning. >>

I agree. Send in the Ryan (may get a 2 or a 3), but the Bunning is not worth grading.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I think the Ryan might go 3 but with a MK qualifier, there looks to be a "x" on the reverse.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    MBG would 2 or 3, but I doubt anything higher. If it is an X on the back top right corner, it will most likely get a MK qual. JMHO
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    Ok,
    would someone walk me though what you are seeing on the Ryan to make it grade a 3?
    Not arguing, im just looking for information on what certain defects do to the grades of cards.

Thanks
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Ryan 4
    Bunning 3
  • Ryan - I didn't see any creases so my guess is a 4 with a qualifier for the written X on the back.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ryan PSA 4
    Bunning PSA 4
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    RYAN 3.5+
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    On the front, the blue team name appears to have both white and brownish blemishes; and all four corners show freying and the top right show inner cardboard. There appears to be some blemish in the 9 of 1968; something appears to be in the black line under the P for Koosman. The back of the card has what appears to be folded cardboard on the top right corner. Maybe is the scan, but those are some of the issues at appear to me. JMHO.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok,
    would someone walk me though what you are seeing on the Ryan to make it grade a 3?
    Not arguing, im just looking for information on what certain defects do to the grades of cards.

Thanks >>

http://www.psacard.com/services/psa_grading_standards.chtml
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I have a PSA 3 Ryan that looks better than that
  • Thank for the help/information everyone! My brother and I have no idea what PSA grading qualifications are, which is why I posted these. You guys helped alot, when I post scans next, they will be better conditioned cards.

Thanks Again,
    R-Mac
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I think that Ryan is a 4. Nothing I see in the scans leads me to believe it would grade lower. Of course that's assuming there are no wrinkles or creases that aren't showing. And if that is indeed writing on the back then obviously it would have the MK qualifier.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • FrancartFrancart Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
    Ryan PSA 4
    Bunning PSA 3
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both are 3's
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • 3MK .... ryan
    3 .... bunning
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Send the Ryan.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Maybe I'm blind, but can someone point out exactly where the written "x" is on the back of the Ryan? Thanks.

• << <i>Maybe I'm blind, but can someone point out exactly where the written "x" is on the back of the Ryan? Thanks. >>

right under the u.s.a. on the back. top right corner
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't think that's a mark on the card.

Ryan's a 3 70% of the time, and a 4 30% of the time.

Might be worth unfolding that frayed corner before putting it in a card saver. The damage is done, but it won't be such an eye sore. However, if that's paperloss on the corner and not a fray, expect a 3.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe no one has yet mentioned that the Ryan looks EOT

The card has a tilt that does not line up the same on the sides
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

• << <i>I can't believe no one has yet mentioned that the Ryan looks EOT

The card has a tilt that does not line up the same on the sides >>

What does EOT mean?
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Evidence of trimming
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Damn, really?? Where do you see this?