Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Unopened Cello Chaos - Cello Bends and more [Opened the 79 Cello Box - Picture]

I have two complete boxes of baseball cello - 79 (factory sealed) and 81 (collected to make a box). I got reckless and opened some different 79 loose cellos I had, and that gum caused the cards to bend because of the tight 79 cello wrap. I noticed 81's are wrapped loose. I've been working on a 77 cello box and those seem tightly wrapped as well.

Does PSA downgrade alot for the cello bend?
Anyone notice this factory sealed 77 cello box on eBay for 1200?
Should I crack open my 79 cello factory sealed box to look for stars showing?

Why is collecting cello so much fun????
Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Hey Krish,

When you say "Does PSA downgrade alot for the cello bend?", I'm assuming you mean when they are grading a cello pack in which case I don't believe they do. More interested in the condition of the wrapper (no tears, etc.) and the overall eye appeal of the card on top.

I did notice that 1977 cello box. Here's the link by the way. 1977 Baseball Cello Box
    It looks good to me, but I didn't go after it as I already have two and it was $100 more than BBCE had them listed for. Of course they don't have anymore now though.

I say open that 1979 cello box you got. I'm assuming you got it from BBCE as they did not come sealed from Topps. I actually cracked open a graded 1979 cello box and it was fun. I got a Hunter and Carlton on top of two of the cellos.

I actually prefer racks myself. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I believe he means does PSA downgrade for singles that have that wavy look due to being wrapped around the gum. If so, the answer is no as long as there is no surface wrinkle. If you put the card in a CS chances are it will straighten out for the most part especially if you put something heavy on top of it. For packs, there is no downgrade for that issue as authentic cellos from the mid to late 70s should always wrap around the gum with that banana-like look.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    Actually Grote and CPAMike, I did mean the singles that result but was curious about the cello "bend" as well. Great answers, BTW. I think I'll open the 79 box ( the box, not the packs image )and see if it has any visible stars or has been picked.

<< <i>I think I'll open the 79 box ( the box, not the packs image >>

Good man. image

I actually posted the results of my 79 cello box rip on my thread as that is the closest I get to opening anything...LOL.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    It always comes down to this never ending discussion of...

Rack
    Wax
    Cello
    Vending

from my experience on high grade cards it is in this order.

<< <i>It always comes down to this never ending discussion of...

Rack
    Wax
    Cello
    Vending

from my experience on high grade cards it is in this order. >>

Totally agree, although depending on how tight the cello is sometimes the vending might be better.

Collecting:
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    Well, I opened up the '79 Cello Box. The best "3" fronts are on the top row, first glance reveals no good "bottom" card dwellers - but damn it's tough to read the names (the stats/teams are telling me its no one I'd be pumped about). Nice clean cellos, all appear a bit OC to the left....

Krish, very nice Seaver and Rose RB cellos!!!

At least you know the box wasn't previously cherrypicked. Congrats!!!

Collecting: