Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My 2011 National Experience

My 2011 National Experience

Well, where to begin.  i will be using digi-pics because im just too tired to scan.

I want to thank everyone that I had the pleasure of meeting.  Meeting other people that share the same passion for cardboard that I do is not all that easy to do.  At The National, it's simple!

This was my second National, but I really feel this was my first.  I attended last years in Baltimore, but that was just for one day.  Although that was a great experience, it was just one day, and not nearly enough time to see everything, meet a lot of people, and get the complete experience.

This year I turned 40 and I wanted to do something special for myself.
I wanted to experience The National in all it's glory.  I've read all about Nationals of the past, as I've been into this hobby of ours for a long long time.

So I decided that the 2011 National would be where I would let it all go and just do something that I've never done before, and in all likelihood would never be doing again.

I made a major dent in my Post War Baseball HOF Graded Rookie Card Collection, knocking my need list down to 27

I suppose I should let the pictures do the talking.....

Here's the wax that I ripped from Steve...

Two packs of 75 OPC, struck out twice.
Five packs of 78 OPC, nada
Ten packs or so of 79 OPC, landed the Ozzie
Three boxes of 86 OPC
Two boxes of 87 leaf
One box of 86 leaf

Fun stuff to rip!

I also signed up as a member of PSA. I handed in my 15 card submission on Sunday morning expecting them to mail them to me.  I was pleasantly surprised when they told me that they would most likey be ready later in the afternoon if I happened to still be around.  I told them I had to leave around three, and they said that that shouldn't be a problem.

The 15 cards comprised of eight hockey rookies that I pack pulled myself back in the 80s, one free vintage HOF rc, five cards that I pulled from boxes that I opened while hanging out with friends in the hotel room, and one HOF rc that I pulled from an OPC pack that Sunday morning.

Here are the results:

Sadly the Ozzie suffered the dreaded "min size requirement". i will be getting a free grading for it, but id rather have a slabbed Ozzie OPC RC

I then spent 13 hours getting home (gotta love that weather they have in Chicago!), and here it is, now Tuesday, and im still worn out.

Well, there you have it, my 2011 National Experience.
While I'm sad that it's over, my memories remain...
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• reggie is nice and centered amazing 5
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Holy Cow!!!! Nice pickups.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Holy Sh*t Eric! AWESOME pick ups! Was NOT thinking I was going to see all those amazing cards. Enjoy them and good luck obtaining the rest.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Ummm........all I can say is that is one serious haul. Holy Cow. I bet your exhausted hunting down that many big name Post War HOF RC's. Well done, thanks form sharing. One question, did you buy most of these cards from one dealer, or many many dealers?
  • It was great meeting you on Sunday and again great pickups!!! Glad your officially a PSA member!

Talk to you later.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Hey Eric,

You were very busy at the National weren't you. image

Great pickups. I love that 51 Mantle and you finally got some Seaver love. I'll probably get that bad boy at next year's National.

Congrats on a GREAT HAUL!!!

Maybe I'll have to go to your museum some time. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Super pickups! You must have been the guy walking around with a brief case full of moneyimage
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Looks like you had a great time.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards...I know where that Aaron rookie came from...back of the room almost to the wall...guy from Kansas..Scott Neal...I had been watching that card on ebay and thought about getting it to have it signed...Congrats and that 51 Mantle is awesome!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Eric,

Had to add:

Next time we go to Buffalo Wild Wings with Mike, looks like you will be eating bread and drinking water! LOL

Again, an AWESOME group of pickups at The National.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric,

Had to add:

Next time we go to Buffalo Wild Wings with Mike, looks like you will be eating bread and drinking water! LOL

Again, an AWESOME group of pickups at The National. >>

I say we meet up at Wild Wings so we can see that 51 Mantle in person. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Awesome haul indeed! Congrats and enjoy the cards!
  • To have a 1952 Eddie Mathews in any condition is awesome and the 1984 OPC Hockey Key Cards in 8's and a 9.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Eric, congratulations on your pick ups and your membership grading; especially the 48 Leaf group, Brett and Yzerman.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Great cards. I love that Musial. Now you're going to make want to find one for my collection.

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • SullyknowsSullyknows Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Nice stuff. You made some dealers very happy!
  • Thank You All for your kind words!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience and all those great pickups...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Too bad you couldn't find time to pick up any key cards . . . image

Great haul! Congrats!!!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    wow lot of star power there
    congrats!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    Great haul!! Who were the best dealers that you dealt with in buying vintage star cards (if you don't mind disclosing)?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.