Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Stock Market = Card value adjustments

You have to figure this is a bad time to be selling high value cards. I've noticed some price stalling on the latest Memory Lane auction - sign of times to come? Just curious on thoughts
Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

Comments

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I agree. Hold on to your cash right now.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Not everything on the stock market dropped today
    Link
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    It's highly unlikely that values won't adjust like they did in 2008 - dealers won't reduce prices, but buying will slow down. I'm less likely to take a flier on a 350/pack 86 Fleer hoops with my investments down 15% the last week - but I did have one in my cart last Monday...

• The bottom is going to fall out of vintage sportscards and key modern issues. Now is the time to sell, sell, sell! ::waves hand slowly across the monitor:: "You will sell me your 52 Mantle and 01 Bowman Chome Pujols Auto to me for $3000....these aren't the droids you're looking for"
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Most people buying the high end material are retired and/or reasonably well off. At that stage in life you are typically out of stocks and into less volatile instruments. But I do agree that the material that's more within reach to the general collecting population will tail off (both supply will increase as people to dump for cash, and demand will fall as others look to save).
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Anybody else think that Ford is a steal of a buy at less than $10
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say anything is cheap right now. This is a strange time in the mkt. Most companies are actually performing really well but the uncertainty lingering about the debt situation here and in europe is really putting fear in the market. I think appl is very cheap but think the mkt still wants to sell. I think many of the west texas oil refiners are really cheap based on forward earnings. HFC for example had the best quarter in the companies history, nearly trippled earnings from the same quarter last year, beat analyst expectations by 30 cents, announce a one time special dollar dividend and a stock split and the mkt has ripped the stock down over 15 percent. I'm well aware that oil has gone down about 20 percent too... But that shouldn't affect this company. These refiners have been able to make a killing on the spread in brent crude and wti oil... Its a pretty interesting situation.... There are a ton of articles about this if anyone is interested. The way I see it....as long as there remains a favorable spread between the 2 crudes... The company will perform really well.... On a different note I did buy some clct today for my personal account. I haven't done a ton of research the company.. But a quick look seemed to make it a reasonable hedge to the rest of the mkt. Its a bit of a small cap which I usually don't invest in... And in 08 they did suspend their div... Again I haven't dug into their cash flows but from I've read they had a jewelry division which they have since divested... That was driving the losses back in 08. Their biz also seems to be somewhat correlated to the metals mkt which has been setting record highs... Metals are usually a good hedge to mkt exposure... So buying the stock with a 8 percent div yield isn't a bad alternative to sitting in cash. Bottom line though is that the country needs to earn more than it spends. Any one with a reasonable head on their shoulders knows that the answer is to cut spending and not raise taxes. The increase revenue argument is just plain dumb. Anyone who honestly thinks that is a good idea... Then I suggest they open as many credit cards that they possibly can and max them out and just make the min payments... Continue to open new credit cards whenever you can so you can continue to afford the min payments... After 5 years you will most likely be porked.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The bottom is going to fall out of vintage sportscards and key modern issues. Now is the time to sell, sell, sell! ::waves hand slowly across the monitor:: "You will sell me your 52 Mantle and 01 Bowman Chome Pujols Auto to me for $3000....these aren't the droids you're looking for" >>

That only works on feeble minds. Now who's droids are these? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • I don't understand why everyone is panicking. Between 01/01/2011 and 07/22/2011, the stock market went up by almost 10%. There have been a couple of bad weeks, but nobody knows what will happen during the next few months.
  • nendeenendee Posts: 563 ✭✭✭
    That's exactly it though - it takes all year to fill up our rain barrel - but ten seconds to dump it..... If investors tire of the slow climbs and irrational dumps, traditional market play loses favor

• I'm leery about stocks for the next 5-7 years. I think sideways/choppy action at best.

-In the 20's, you had a bubble. It took 20 years? to break even after '29. Whether you count dividend re-investing or which index you look at.

-Similar in the 60's. The DOW got up to 1,000 in the mid to late 60's, then went nowhere until 1982.

-Why is this time different? The S&P has already gone nowhere for 11 years. I wouldn't be suprised if we get back to 800 sometime in the next few years. Is anyone in the swiss franc? Already up 30% against the dollar this year. Europe down 3-5% right now.

I wonder how far silver will eventually go.

• << <i>Most people buying the high end material are retired and/or reasonably well off. At that stage in life you are typically out of stocks and into less volatile instruments. But I do agree that the material that's more within reach to the general collecting population will tail off (both supply will increase as people to dump for cash, and demand will fall as others look to save). >>

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well IMO...this isnt a good time to be spending alot of money on cards. If things get worse, then I believe you will see a drop on everything non-essential. Cards or any collectible will be no exception.
    I would also be concerned about this recent credit down grade if I had any adjustable rate loans (mortgages, student loans). Im not saying to stock pile your basement with 2 years worth of food and water and crouch with a tin helmet on, but it might not be a bad idea to grab on to the railing until the ship rights itself and stops taking on water.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    There is no direct correlation between the market & cards. In fact, many cards held their values quite well in 2008-09 & I know of several investors who put $$ into collectibles as a safe haven.

Like any volatile period the strongest collectors will be those with cash & the weakest will be those that need it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why everyone is panicking. Between 01/01/2011 and 07/22/2011, the stock market went up by almost 10%. There have been a couple of bad weeks, but nobody knows what will happen during the next few months. >>

Not to mention it nearly doubled since its low point less than 2 years ago. I've always thought the market recovered too quickly from the first fallout and in my mind this is more of a correction.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like any volatile period the strongest collectors will be those with cash & the weakest will be those that need it. >>

In a highly volatile period, I dont think sports cards will be a high priority in many peoples lives.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it does, that will be a great buying opportunity. Looking back at 2009 prices on VCP, many of the cards sold for much less than they are today. What I bought then was a great investment. If it happens again, I'll be primed and ready to invest again.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market came back today so I guess the card "correction" is not going to happen. The summer market is generally softer since people find other things to do rather than sit in front of a computer and bid away.

If you are collecting sportscards as a serious hobby, your income is probably higher than the average bear. I doubt anyone here has to hock the family jewels to buy milk.
    Mike
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt anyone here has to hock the family jewels to buy milk. >>

Leave my family jewels out of it! image
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I don't see why everybody's worried about the stock market.

All you have to do is invest every other day... image