Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My first “National” with my two sons . . . you’ll be surprised :)

While the rest of you were either at the National or (like me) living vicariously through those who went, I was with my two sons at the “National” Lego Collector’s Convention (officially called “Brick Fair”). It was a spur of the moment decision. We headed out around lunch time on Friday to make the 550 mile journey from Michigan to Chantilly, VA (very near DC).

The show is held twice a year (once in Alabama and once in VA). The convention center is relatively small. About 75% of the space is for people to show off their creations. The other 25% is dedicated to dealers selling their wares, many of whom create their own “parts” for Lego minifigures.

Below are some scans and comments. We had a blast:

First off, the Steve Hart of Lego (unopened):

The bins of commons:

For all of you Mustang fans:

The closest thing to "sports" at the whole show (a motocross in a lighted stadium)

About $2500 worth of Clone Troopers (500 total):

The Titanic:

The Virginia State Capitol:

These cranes were easily 15 feet tall:

A replica of my sons' room (and they aren't even teenagers yet):

And a bunch more cool stuff:

Comments

• omg Im in lego heaven. GREAT PICS!
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    This is amazing! Not sure what I would have done without Legos as a kid, didnt have video games to keep me distracted. Thanks for sharing.
  • LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Wow, that is amazing ... My son would have a field day.

Thanks for sharing,
    -Larry
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • That is awesome! Thanks for the info, I will take my son next year.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the pictures!! My son and I are headed to Lego Land here in Germany this month. CANNOT WAIT!!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    NEAT!!! Memories.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • absolutely amazing stuff. i remember doing legos with my son when he was little, he's now 32. great pix.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    very cool!!!!

seems like a nice trip
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Very neat stuff, my son used to do a lot with Legos when he was a kid.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice stuff ... seems like you had a great time with your sons and that's what it's all about.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread Tom! Sounds like you guys had a great time. I spent countless hours building stuff when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing!
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    cool, whenever the family is in Florida we always stop at the Lego store in Orlando....neat stuff
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Looks like you had fun and lots of quality time with your sons.
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    I did not know a Lego convention existed. Those are fantastic structures they can build. Thanks for the pics.
  • That is awesome.
    I collect Mainly Jared Odrick & Oronde Gadsden
    Total Dolphins(Super collecting): 8787 W/ 1054 Gu'ed & Auto
    TTM Returns 56/83 67%
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Good lord!!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WOW! really cool! Makes me want to build a replica Las Vegas Strip!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

As a Lincoln Log guy, all I can say is, "WOW!"

Amazing!

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    That's awesome! I'll be honest with you: one of the main reasons I had kids was so I would have an excuse to play with Legos again. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate all of the comments guys. I was intrigued to see the response of the board - I think there is a lot of kid left in all of us which is why we are all in the sports card hobby, so I assumed most have fond memories of Lego and would enjoy the photos.

The whole thing is pretty interesting. I think it started out as an event to get people together and word has spread rapidly. The event is not sanctioned or affiliated with Lego in anyway. The show hours are short (11:00 AM to 4:00 PM on both Sat and Sun). It was $9 to get in, and parking was free. While we were there, it was VERY hard to see things, the aisles were packed. And forget it if you want to buy something. My sons, bless their hearts, battled to get near the tables and finally get to sift through things. It was like the scene in Trading Places at the end when the crop report was leaked. Mass chaos! My impression is that they will need to expand either the hours or the space next year.

That being said, the pictures don't do justice to some of the creations. The detail and size in some of those things was amazing. At 4 to 10 cents minimum per Lego piece, some of those creations had a few grand into them easily. Even if money and time were limitless, I'm not sure where these guys find all the pieces that they use.

Interesting crowd - I didn't see too many what I would consider "jocks" or sports fans there. One of these days I'm going to build me a Lego Tiger Stadium and display it there.

As a side note, we stayed about 1 hour northwest of the show site, and about 15 minutes from a Minor League team called the Hagerstown Suns. We stopped by on Saturday night to see about tix. They had plenty and it was Brian Wilson (SF Giant bearded freak) gnome night on top of it. My youngest son thinks Wilson is hilarious after seeing him at the All-Star game. We left the stadium (without buying tix) and headed back to the hotel because we were undecided (weather was iffy). It started to rain pretty hard so we didn't go. Later that night we're watching SportsCenter and I'll be darn if they don't show Stephen Strasburg in a Suns uniform and mention that he's playing for Hagerstown on Sunday. My youngest swears he saw Strasburg playing catch on Saturday while we were asking about tix. So I guess we messed up, could have had a Brian Wilson gnome and who knows, maybe a Strasburg autograph or two if we'd have stuck it out (there was hardly anyone there).

Peace,

Tom
  • ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Man I loved this post image

Any idea who the seller was in the first pic with all the sets?
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. Did anyone else notice the Ghostbusters, and the Stay Puft Marshmallow man?...... Thats just awesome.
  • DDaniel83DDaniel83 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    that city block is awesome--makes me want to buy some LEGO's!
  • JaktJakt Posts: 573
    Those displays are nothing short of awesome. My question is; did they put those together when they got there or was it shipped in completed form?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    The next one is in 2 weeks in Chantilly VA. I guess I know what I will be doing that weekend.
    www.brickfair.com
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tom

Sounds like you had a great time.

Cool pics.

Good for you.