Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ron Burgundy's National Highlights............another purchase added

I was just glad to get out of the Texas heat for a few days, anything on top of that was a bonus. So I had no expectations when I boarded the plane to Chicago, but when I landed at O'Hare on Monday and heard that McCartney was playing Wrigley Field that night, I knew it was going to be a good week. image I bought a field ticket, saw an awesome show and got to walk on the field at Wrigley. Are you kidding me?

Tuesday was slow. I browsed the tables for early setup and didn't find much. I was discouraged. All of that changed on Wednesday when I found 65, 66, 67, 68, and 58 sets. In between I found some very nice single cards, and a ton of 67 vending that I bought a total of 6 cards out of because the guy wanted 3 x Beckett for them (LOL!!). I would've bought 50-60 cards otherwise.

Then I submitted my 63 Mantle PSA 8.5 for review. The result is below, I am more than happy. I also reholdered my 52 Mantle PSA 7, it looks better in a brand new holder. After some discussion with PSA about the card, I opted not to submit it for review at the show although I may do so later.

I got to meet MBMiller and Leadoff 4, both great guys and nice to connect with them in person. Matt has an awesome Reggie RC. Thursday and Friday I found a number of single raw cards, some of which I'll post here, but many of which I already submitted to PSA.

All in all, a great week. Great weather, great people, great time downtown on Friday evening, only downside was I saw a couple of longtime dealers going out of business which was sad.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Ron, that is a beautiful 63 Mantle. Congrats on getting the 9 and glad you had a good time.

Hopefully I'll meet up with you at next year's National in Baltimore.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    Whats keeping that Mantle out of a 10 holder? Printing spots?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats keeping that Mantle out of a 10 holder? Printing spots? >>

From first view the print dot left border and divot top left border....very nice card
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    jesus that card is ridiculous...
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    WOW the Mantle is off the charts..
  • My highlight was holding Burgundys Mantle. Thanks Ron!!! The 1952
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Ron, thanks for sharing another of your AMAZING cards!! Glad to hear you had a good time at the Nationals.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    GOOD JOB!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Mantle is sublime! image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    That '63 is SWEET! Congrats on the bump (oh yeah, and the $2,000.00 that comes along with it! LOL).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Ron. That 63 is a blazer. How about a scan of the 52 Mantle?
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I was at the same table(1st row) that had the commons at 3-4x Beckett price... I looked at one '61 common(normal common) and was quoted $32. I quietly said "no thank you" and moved to the next table(after I fell and hit my head). I guess I should've looked at a few more.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful Mantle, congrats on the bump!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    they've yet to create an adjective which appropriately describes that '63 Mick.

• << <i>I was at the same table(1st row) that had the commons at 3-4x Beckett price... I looked at one '61 common(normal common) and was quoted $32. I quietly said "no thank you" and moved to the next table(after I fell and hit my head). I guess I should've looked at a few more. >>

What dealer??
    The company initials are PG.

• << <i>The company initials are PG. >>

Well being my first National and "P.G." being right at the front door did me in a little. image
    I did do some buying there and he did do better than the 20% off they were advertising. Next time I will work the room a little before jumping at the first seller.
    I would have bought a lot more but I knew the prices were very high on many cards. He was giving the rap that he pays more so he charges more.
    Live and learn I guess!
    Yes, you got the right guy. He said he charges based on what he pays. That's everyone's business plan but my motto on that is..."two wrongs don't make a right"image
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Actually the PG guy was not the guy I was referring to.......this was another guy who had some curly crisp 67 vending near Bill Goodwin's table. He was from Chicago, his wife was with him. The 67's were from vending, some of them had water stains, but man were they crisp. I picked out about 50 cards or so including about 15 Rick Monday rookies, which he wanted $45 each for. I tried hard not to laugh.

BTW, on the 63 Mantle there is a tiny corner issue lower right and a microscopic edge issue on the right side. Other than that the card is perfect. That's what keeps it from being a 10 (that little print dot on the left also). But as one dealer said to me, "if that card's not a 9 then I have no idea what a 10 looks like."
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

wow - i don't even dream this good. image
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Mantle. Who were the dealers going out of business?
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    No McCartney photos?

Nice eye/resub Ron.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Take me to Pleasuretown.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ron,
    The 63 Mantle is about as nice as humanly possible. Congrats.

Mickey71
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    Ron, Boy I wish my eyes were as good! Awesome card, congrats!
    PackManInNC
  • Tremendous 63 Mantle.. well deserving of a mint grade (or better). Congrats.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Two guys who sell good raw cards out of Wisconsin were going out of business. Sad to see.
    Ron Burgundy

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done on the Mantle. That's about as good as a 63 gets!

$32 for a 61 common? That's only about $30 too much.

"Molon Labe"

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats keeping that Mantle out of a 10 holder? Printing spots? >>

The fact that it's a Mantle.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done! Should have been a 9 always! Good job!
    Love the card!
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    RB, One seriously choice card. Nice eye.
    Nothing against PSA on this...but do you think that the card should go to SGC instead?

• << <i>Nothing against PSA on this...but do you think that the card should go to SGC instead? >>

sure, if you want to devalue it. lol
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

<< <i>

<< <i>Nothing against PSA on this...but do you think that the card should go to SGC instead? >>

sure, if you want to devalue it. lol >>

I don't really know anything about the value...but it seems like it could get the 98 Gem grade...would this be lower than a PSA 9?
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrific card

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Here's a really nice card I found for my set for $65 under VCP. Thought about reviewing it, but forgot about it. Best 66 Koufax I've ever had, it's a deceptively tough card.

Ron Burgundy

The '66 Koufax is very tough to find that well-centered.
  • LOVE that Sandy!

show us more please image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Koufax.