Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's it worth - from August - pics added.

My brother-in-law has three gold coins and has asked me their value. I don't know the condition (I assume AU or, at best CU). Each contains 0.2411 oz of gold ($400 melt each). Do any of you know of the rarity of:

Mexico
10 Pesos 1906
10 Pesos 1917-M

German
20 Marks 1875

Thanks for your response.

I'm guessing that these are worth close to melt value. Do you see anything to make you think differently?

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
–John Adams, 1826

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    German
    20 Marks 1875

Thanks for your response. >>

They were minted in several German states, with different monarchs. Most likely Prussia, but could be Bavaria, Saxony, Wurttemburg etc. Some of the lesser known kingdoms or duchies have some fairly decently rare coins. Others like Prussia and Saxony etc are pretty common.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    The Pesos are common. The German mark is from one of the states and we need to know which one.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    His e-mail listed the 20 Mark as Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. 20 Mark, 1875.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 20 Mark is a good coin but need to see pictures for condition.
  • Options
    I won't have any pics unless he sends it to me.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    The price range is in the HUNDREDS of Dollars, You should ask him to get you pictures, or send them to you to see in hand.image
  • Options
    OK, I've asked for either pictures of the German 20 Mark or the coin itself so that I can take pictures of it. It may take a few weeks/months before any of that happens. So, thank you and I will likely resurrect this thread once I have something half way decent to show you. You have been a big help in simply identifying the 20 Mark as a coin that most likely is valued at > melt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HELLO,

I do not believe there is a 20 mark Braunschweig wolfenbuettel 1875 gold coin.
    there is a Braunschweig -Lueneburg of that year. this coin goes from $1000 in Vf and up.
    However, there are a lot of top notch forgeries of that coin. They were made by a dentist in 1970ties and easily fooled experts and dealers alike.
    they are so good that to this day it is difficult to be sure. Volker Weege at Moneytrend.at would be the person to chat with.
    here is an image of the Braunschweig Lueneburg coin.
    perhaps your friend can compare his and this and let us know.
    otherwise my suggestion is to send it to PCGS for authentication and grading.
    If it comes back as authentic,break it out of the slab and send it to Europe to a high end auction.
    for all that matters, I might know someone who would buy it, slabbed or not......if it is authentic.
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    YQQ,

I e-mailed your response to my brother-in-law. Here is his reply.

"The coin is not a Braunschweig coin. This page very closely describes the coin I have: http://www.coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=3148&main_ct_id=91. I could not take a good photo of it. Do you still want to see it, given the info on the link? According to this next link it was a 4.2M mintage. http://www.pandaamerica.com/subcategory.asp?subcat=40&categ=3&grp=1. I doubt the coin is a forgery because I think my dad had it since he left Germany in the early 30’s."

Appears the coin is one of the more common Prussian varieties. Oh well.

Thanks to you all.

–John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Pictures added to the first post.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melt is all they are worth. Still a tidy sum these days.