Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1968 Topps (first submission)

This is my first post so first of all I would like to say thanks to everyone on this board for getting me hooked to the set registry! I'll have all of you to thank when I have to sell my house to build my sets.

I just got the results from my first submission of 1968 Topps baseball cards that I've been waiting about a month for. I sent in 100 cards and got 21 - 9's and 56 - 8's which is actually better than I thought. I also got two 6's and two 5's but oh well I can't complain with 77 - 8's and better. Most of my sevens were from borderlne cards I added to round out the 100 card lot to get the price break. And with it being my first submission I wasn't sure how the cards would grade out.

Now I am more pumped then ever to send in more cards. Only problem is I don't have anything else to send in. Its like an addiction. I might end up like those of you who are hiding the set building addiction from there wives. Oh well its fun and a great challenge!

Jared

Comments

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board Jarred, and don't worry about selling your house just yet first you have to max out all your
    credit that takes about 2 months and then you have to sell your car and then when it real gets bad the house.
    But really congratulations on your first submission sounds like you did pretty good. Were any of the 9's you got
    stars or were they commons? Also were an of the 9's doubles, and if so would you be willing to trade or sell them?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jared,

Nice job on the submission. It took most of us a couple of submissions before we were seeing that kind of success. And don't worry about the few lower grade cards. Just check them out when you get them back and see if you can figure out why - usually there's a pretty good reason. I once got a PSA 4 on a card in with a bunch of 72's that I had sent in. Corners were sharp and centering was nice - but when I tilted it against the light I could see that there was an area that had a "waffle" like crease that I hadn't noticed. So, I was ticked, but it helped me check more thoroughly before each subsequent submission.

Again, congrats!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Krems

Congratulations!

Don't worry about the occasional 5 or 6. We all get them. It's that little internal crease etc. that gets you. I get one in every bulk submission I do, guaranteed!

You did extremely well.

welcome to the board, and don't be a stranger
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses. I will definately check the lower graded cards carefully to see what I missed. After I sell my house and truck and max out the credit cards, I won't be able to afford those 5's and 6's anymore. I'll have to save on grading fees for 8's and 9's.

James - I didn't have any stars that graded 9...well I guess I got a 9 on a Joe Horlan All-Star if that counts. I got several 8's on the All-Star cards but most of the other cards were commons. I got a couple of low population 9's that I am deciding on wether to sell or hold. They are #244 John Donaldson (pop = one 9, no 10's), #276 Jim Roland (pop = two 9's, no tens), #288 Dave Wickersham ( pop = three 9's, no tens) and #354 Pete Rickert ( pop = three 9's, no tens). I don't think the populations above include mine becaused my cards were posted on Monday and I didn't check the pop report until a couple days later. The only doubles on 9's I have are higher population cards (#458, 489, 492, 519, 521) that seem to be everywhere.

When I first started buying cards for this set to grade, my goal was all PSA eight. I would upgrade sevens and downgrade nines. But after I sent my first submission in, and after I bought a few cheap nines, there is just something about that word MINT printed on the holder that makes it difficult to part with. But then again I don't have any problems with nice 8's either.

Jared
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    And the addiction begins....
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭
    Jared sorry to here that they were all commons but you did get some nice low pop commons and the
    Joe Horlon All-Star card is pretty cool to. Hey the other guys are right when you get card back check them to
    see what you may have mist. Also if you deside to sale the low pop cards or any of the other cards let me know I
    am very interested in the low pop cards and the Joe Horlon. Good look on finding more cards to get graded
    we know there out there but the hard part is finding them.

James
    lannyjr@earthlink.net
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Jared - Good job! The '68's are real tough to submit. Due to the weave design, it hides the wear on the corners, so to a naked eye they can look great, but to a graders magnifier it can look scary. You did real well. Your next test will be the 1971's...jay image
  • Options
    Jay

It's a proven fact that no one in their right mind collects the 71's image
  • Options
    Zardoz - YOU ARE LIVING PROOF OF THAT..image

I still wake up nights remembering the batch of '71's that I submitted, had quality straight from packs or vending - every single one came back a 7 - Haven't submitted any since. And since all dealers get breaks, so I'm told, I imagine anyone else woulda landed 5's and 6's..

• Options
    Jay

I freely admit to being, errrrrrrrrrr, challenged! No great revellation there my friend.

BTW, I'm looking at a certain slabbed card that I keep on my desk. cert#04121640 LOL

imageimage

71's are easy to grade. If it looks like a 9, it's an 8. If it looks like and 8 it's a 7. Never fails
  • Options
    ZARDOZ - Are you talking about the rare! Gwynn?
  • Options
    Yep!

You don't honestly think that I would ever part with that treasure do you?
  • Options
    Word on the streets its a tad rarer then a PSA-10, pop wise anyway.
    Sad part is, I didn't submit it, so I can't take credit for it. It was part of a large purchase a couple of years ago.
    Can't believe that I parted with it. We may not see another card like that again...jay
  • Options
    I just got my cards back today and after looking at the two 5's and two 6's very closely I figured out where the problems were. The two 6's each had a slight bend in the corner. The corners were decent but when I tilted them in the light I could see it. The two fives each had a very slight wrinkle that I missed because the wrinkle on each card went along the black line on the inside of the border...very tough to detect. Will these hidden problems show up better if I look at the cards under magnification? The weaved borders really do cover up defects very well. It's definately a learning experience. My goal is to get a little better results next time. I guess the big thing, like anything else in life, is experience. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

Jared
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    A lighted 10x magnifier is key.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    MS- Couldn't agree with you more. I am surprised how many people I run into who simply eyeball stuff. Can't say I know this seller, but basically this kind of thing is absolutely priceless:

10X Light

Mine is all black and smaller. Makes for unobtrusive pocket storage, while browsing tables and/or display counters. I picked it up at a show in the New England area for $15. Best $15 I ever spent.
  • Options
    That'll be my next investment...thanks for the info.