Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

MBMiller25's National Highlights and Pickups

Day One

As I mentioned on the "National Pics" thread, despite not having my partner in crime (Bobby-Bporter26), I had a very enjoyable couple days at the National. This was not my typical National, where I come in on Wednesday and stay through Sunday, as I had to be in Chicago on Monday on business, and frankly, I was tired of being away from my family by the time I left on Friday morning. All in all, that was plenty of time, although I had to leave 6 RC's to a friend for signing thats are taking place today. I would really have liked to have had the experience to meet some of my baseball hero's, but maybe next time. Met many board members for the first time and saw some board friends, beginning with Scott (OTWCards) almost the minute I walked in the door. Great guy, passionate and very knowledgable about this hobby. I always seem to learn something from Scott, no matter if its a 2 minute conversation or 20 minute conversation. From there, I made it a point it a point to seek out of some of the dealers that I typically like to purchase from that seem to have a good selction of rookie cards. I really wanted to get a lay of that land as quickly as possible before really spending time going from dealer to dealer. I usually leave the second and third days for that. At one of my early stops I ran into our very own Ron Burgundy sharing a booth with Paul Starks and Bruce Perry. RB graced me with his 52 Mantle PSA 7. WOW, what a damn nice card. The scans he provided when he purchased it really doesnt do that card justice. Is everything else a let down from that card Ron? Later I met up with some board members Mike (Mknez), Kirk (MrMint23) and Andy (Paleocards) for a very enjoyable dinner at Gibson's. Great way to close the night.

Day Two

Day two started earlier than normal, as Kirk (MrMint23) was given a dealer badge from a dealer friend of his, and was nice enough to invite me to come with him, so I was able to get onto the show floor at 8:30 AM versus the normal 9:30 AM. I spent the morning checking out Pete Rose RC's with Kirk, along with taking him to the earlier mentioned Bruce Perry's table, as I had noticed a georgous Rose RC from the day before. I will let Kirk (who I am assuming will post a thread as well), finish the story on the Pete Rose's, as its a great story,and Kirk did extremely well with how things worked out, but needless to say, I ended up with that Pete Rose RC that Bruce Perry had for sale.
I did the majority of my buying on Thursday, so alot of time was spent working the floor as aggresively as I could. I found many nice cards, but I really wanted to stay at or around VCP averages, which made things a little more difficult. Some dealers are great about working with you on cards, and others are not very good at all. I just try to be as polite as possible and hope the dealers understand I have a price in mind I want to pay, just as they have a price they want to sell for. Throughout the day, I found myself back at the BBCE booth. I guess it's just that Steve, Reed, Rick and crew are fun to be around, but the last two years, the BBCE booth has kind of been ground zero for me. It doesnt hurt that they are very cool about letting me leave any oversized items at their booth, so I am not carrying around heavy items all day. Late in the day on thursday while at the BBCE booth, I mentioned to Steve that I wanted to rip an 86-87 Fleer basketball pack, as I had never opened one before, yet was concerned with the centering. So with a little assistance from Steve, I grabbed a pack, and the fun began. I wish I knew how to post a video, as Kirk was kind enough to film me opening my pack, on my Iphone. I am not into drugs, but that has to be the closest thing to doing crack cocaine, without actually doing it. I didn't hit a Jordan, but did rip an excellent pack with great centering, and pulled easy PSA 9 with a possibility of PSA 10, Drexler and Dumars. In fact just about every card in the entire pack should grade PSA 9 or better. I was pretty pleased. So after kicking things off, and watching a few others start purchasing packs, including Neil (Dutymon), I went for a second "hit", I mean pack! Again, great centering, with some very solid cards including: Dominique Wilkins, and Magic Johnson, but unfortunately, no Jordan! I capped my day at BBCE by purchasing a few 86 Topps football grocery racks, an 86 Topps football rack with Steve Young on the front, and some 87-88 and 88-89 Fleer basketball wax packs, to be put away for my unopened collection. While at the BBCE booth together, Neil and I decided we would meet at the Hilton bar at 6:30. Both Neil, myself, Kirk, Mike and Kurt(BBCEmporium) all met up for drinks and dinner, and then called it a night.

The National is always a blast. If you ever have considered going, it is well worth the time and expense associated with it. Hope to see and meet board member friends in Baltimore next year! Now onto the pickups:

First pickups on Wednesday evening, at the BBCE booth. Steve gave me a great deal on these!

Wasnt really looking to purchase this card, but the centering is fantastic on this notiriously tough card, and I got a great deal on the card. I actually have a RAW EX/MT Jackson being auto'd today as well.

I have always enjoyed the Killebrew RC. Its one I regretted selling, when I liquidated some of my collection earlier in the year. I paid $45 more for this card than my last PSA 8, but its a nicer card, with less print defects.

I was actually trying to purchase this card off EBAY from a seller, but unable to put a deal together. I got lucky, as the seller was putting a $8K deal together while I was looking at this card. I think he was in a good mood, as I made an offer just over VCP, and he accepted.

I love this card. Plan on cracking it, having it signed at the MAB show in October and re-slabbed again. It gets the PSA 2 as there is the smallest little paper loss on the back. Looks like a PSA 7ish card from the front and I am only into it for PSA 1 money.

And finally, this deal was consumated at the bar in the Hilton after the show on Thursday. Again, I am going to let Kirk tell the story around this card, but this is the Rose RC, that I put Kirk on earlier in the day. He purchased it, and I ended up with it later in the day. Always wanted a nice Rose RC, as growing up in Ohio, he was the face of the Reds. Later on in life, when we moved to Plant City FL, he ended up living just down the street from myself and Bobby (Bporter26). Great addition to my Top 200 Sportscards Set.

I am not going to post pics of the 86 Topps Football racks, along with with Fleer Basketball Wax.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Matt ... AWESOME pick-ups! Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Would love to be able to meet you guys in Baltimore next year!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Matt fantastic jobs picking up some beautiful cards. How does that Rose not get the .5?

Thanks for posting.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    That is a score if I ever saw one image
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    fantastic cards! love the Whitey Ford. Will look AWESOME signed!
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Matt,

Congratulations on all your great pickups!!! The Ripken and Henderson packs are great additions to the unopened RC cello pack collection. I've got to get me one of those Ripken packs. image

Thanks for the blow by blow. Wish I was there with you, but I'll be there next year and catch up to you and hopefully Bobby too.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Matt, WOW is all I can say. Congratulations on these awesome cards; especially the Carlton and Killebrew!!!!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt
    Congrats
    That Carlton had me licking the screen.

whitttttey oHHHHHHHHHHHHHHgh
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭

I got to see the Reggie RC in person. It's a fantastic card that would not look out of place in an 8.5 holder.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • those are beauts especially the jackson.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pickups Matt. Congrats!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great cards, Matt. Congrats!

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt, Great looking cards especially the Jackson and Carlton. I'm hoping to be in Baltimore next year with you and to meet everyone.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I like the Rose and the Killebrew.
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards, as always, Matt. It was terrifric catching up with you Wednesday night at Gibson's and again I want to publicly acknowledge your extreme generosity and hospitality. (I'll share my National pickups/submission after they're scanned on a new thread).
  • Matt,

Just wanted to say Thank You for the evening, had a blast BS'ing with everybody at the bar that night and opening a couple of 86 packs was one of the highlights of the entire trip. More later, but busy listing stuff to try and make some of the money back I spent !!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff as always, Matt. Great seeing you again and the check is in the mail for the kind words as promised.

Did you see the '61 Fleer Basketball boxes?!?! Dasm, they were STUNNINGLY fresh.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, we were walking in similar circles it seems. I stopped by Paul's tables a few times but didn't know who RB was. I was wearing a black clemente Jersey on Saturday.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • damn i love that Whitey Ford!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Rose RC is about as nice as you'll see in a PSA 7 holder...terrific centering! Congrats on some really nice pickups!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.