Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looks like someone is going to go to jail soon...

This seller billyd2008 with a feedback of 164 all of a sudden has about 100 auctions of very high end material. This is a person that has only sold some shiny new cards in the past. Looks like there are going to be a lot of really pissed off people and for this kind of dollar amount he is going to be busted for sure. Also looks like he is shilling on all of them as well. I checked a few on VCP and looks like he is stealing scans from the major auction houses.

Link

Comments

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    SC&MF thread

we're watching with eager anticipation.
  • ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you won't be using this clown's data in vcp right?
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Looks Ok to Bobby, looks OK to me.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Bobby's good with it, I'm good with it.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    So by jacking up the amounts to mess with the seller, will these fraudulent results mess with the VCP numbers?
  • See the other thread. I figured I saved 36 people. I bid those at $2300 each. Will be fun when he comes at me.
  • We blocked the seller so his results will not show on VCP
  • Bobby,
    Is there something you can do on your site to modify the images you have on file from past sales transactions that might help prevent the potential for a stolen scan scam? Can you superimpose a watermark or some other indicator that would modify the image enough to prevent the image from being used in this type of scam? Perhaps you can set a dollar limit ($1k or $2.5k) to trigger the use of a watermark. Unfortunately, your site provides a substantial inventory of images that could be used for criminal purposes. As a long time customer, I love your site/service and highly value the ability to review scans of past sales. I'm just wondering if there isn't something you can do to address this issue.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Ockhamsrazor,
    Did you ever get word from the police on the scammer on EBAY that it seems we both were involved with? There was a lady selling the items for some guy using only the VCP scans. I think the seller is still active so is the answer "NO"? And actually I need to look at VCP to make sure the card prices were not entered in on the 64 PSA 9 Mays and the 1960 PSA 9 Mays.
  • It looks like the 60 Mays was not entered into the VCP database, however, the 64 Mays was recorded. I have not been contacted by the authorities regarding those two transactions. I do have an issue currently open not involving those two cards.
    Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all "right-thinking" people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I was watching one item (63 McCovey). Ebay removed it.
  • I was following several of these auctions, and I told my wife that something does not smell right with these. Someone with very little feedback is selling high end cards worth thousands of dollars for his friend who does not know what they go for??? My first thought was that they were either stolen, or some kid was listing his dad's cards on Ebay while his parents were in Hawaii for two weeks and would not find out until too late. Like the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is. I just feel badly for the people that bid and won cards and now will not get them.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was following several of these auctions, and I told my wife that something does not smell right with these. Someone with very little feedback is selling high end cards worth thousands of dollars for his friend who does not know what they go for??? My first thought was that they were either stolen, or some kid was listing his dad's cards on Ebay while his parents were in Hawaii for two weeks and would not find out until too late. Like the saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it most likely is. I just feel badly for the people that bid and won cards and now will not get them. >>

Just wanted to say hi!

I remember when we first came on - we spent some time on a Saturday nite quoting Seinfeld.

You also told me that people with thousands of posts have too much time on their hands...

Well...I guess I'm a charter member of the too much time... image

Good to see you!
    Mike
  • Good to hear from you, and it has been a while since I have posted on here. Been out of collecting for a few years and forgot my login info, but I was able to retrieve it and should be back on here for a while. That happens when you have kids and have to run them to school, sports, church.... It also takes away some of the disposable income, and buying a 1915 Cobb or using that same amount of money to buy a new home theater puts the dollar amount of some of these cards into context

Got the collecting juices flowing again and might get more of the cards that I used to collect as a kid - 1973-1977 Topps baseball - much cheaper to do versus my adult collecting days of 54-58 Ted Williams, 53-58 Mantles...

I am going to use a new style of collecting - if all of my other collecting instincts were wrong than the opposite has to be rightimage

What have you been collecting these days and how have you been? Looking forward to chatting with everyone again, so get me up to speed on what is the latest and greatest in collecting these days. I am sure I will quickly remember. I am in the process of hunting down a recent SMR since my last one is from 2007, and the local bookstore quit carrying them.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good to hear from you, and it has been a while since I have posted on here. Been out of collecting for a few years and forgot my login info, but I was able to retrieve it and should be back on here for a while. That happens when you have kids and have to run them to school, sports, church.... It also takes away some of the disposable income, and buying a 1915 Cobb or using that same amount of money to buy a new home theater puts the dollar amount of some of these cards into context

Got the collecting juices flowing again and might get more of the cards that I used to collect as a kid - 1973-1977 Topps baseball - much cheaper to do versus my adult collecting days of 54-58 Ted Williams, 53-58 Mantles...

I am going to use a new style of collecting - if all of my other collecting instincts were wrong than the opposite has to be rightimage

What have you been collecting these days and how have you been? Looking forward to chatting with everyone again, so get me up to speed on what is the latest and greatest in collecting these days. I am sure I will quickly remember. I am in the process of hunting down a recent SMR since my last one is from 2007, and the local bookstore quit carrying them. >>

Hi

If you check down a bit - for one thing you will see a thread on the sheet music Take me out to the Ball Game - I have - I'm guessing - the largest collection of variations of the sheet music and gave the HOF copies of all the variations - they have 2 that I don't have - so the search goes on.

Been working on a 63F BB set since we met in 2004 - it's hard to find a well centered version - at least when I go to look.

In 2004 - also - I started collecting BB board games - and some skill games - and even small vending skill games like this one:

I have some other small focuses that involve some non-sport things like lobby cards from 50s Sci-Fi movies and game I played with as a kid.

It keeps me busy!

Good luck with your new focus - are you gonna do the sets raw? I like the 73T set - tho it's tough to do in good shape.

Looking forward to your posts!
    Mike
  • I checked and his images where not stolen from my site. In order for a person to even see the older images requires a Gold membership with a valid credit card and I seriously doubt this guy even has one.